• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but one article on t-nation.com by someone with "Dr." before their name doesn't make something real.

Dr. Jade Teta is a naturapath who makes a living selling books, workout programs, and training through his weight loss company whose primary message is "fixing" metabolic problems. In other words, he is far from an unbiased author.

Adaptive thermogenesis is a real thing, but it's not something the average dieter needs to worry about. If you severely restrict calories over a very long period of time, your metabolism will slow down over time. But we are talking about a large deficit over a long period of time with no breaks. That's why if you have a lot of weight to lose that will take years to complete, it is recommended that you take a couple of weeks every 3 or 4 months and eat at maintenance. But even though it's a real thing, it won't stop you from losing weight, it just slows it down a little. Otherwise anorexics, people who go on hunger fasts, starving people in war-torn countries wouldn't get to the point where they were skin and bones, they would just get sluggish wouldn't they?

That's the point of the article. I think people automatically get defensive because of the words "starvation mode" when in fact the article is talking about the different levels of metabolic damage and if you do have metabolic damage there's ways to fix it depending on what level you are in. Obviously, this article doesn't apply to everyone. Everyone knows you can still lose weight if you are on a really low calorie diet. It may not be healthy, but it's still possible. You can't argue the fact people do hit plateaus. What cause their plateau could be a variety of reasons. What is the number on stated phrase on here? Weight loss is not linear. For most people it's likely they are eating too many calories. The metabolic rate will slow down as you lose weight and will take much more to continue losing at the same rate because the body does not burn as many calories as it did when at a much higher weight. The smaller the body, the less energy it takes to operate. There are people out there that do have metabolic damage, but may not know it. I personally did experience something like this. I don't know if it was actually metabolic damage, but when I stopped losing weight I took a break because I was actually hungrier than before I started losing weight. Then I got back on to my routine and weight loss jump started again. This was way before I came across this article. For me it explained something that I couldn't explain. I thought it was an interesting read. People can do with it what they want.

As far as the biased author, I personally don't feel selling other products for income devalues his opinion. Personal trainers, nutritionists, and even medical doctors do it. It doesn't mean his opinion is worthless. If he did not have the references he stated in the article then I would question it. I personally thought it was a valid article. He is a integrative physician. This is what he does: he practices healing oriented medicine that includes both alternative as well as conventional medicine.

I would respectfully disagree, that's not the point of the article. The point of the article is to convince anyone who's having trouble losing weight that they have experienced metabolic damage so they will then buy his book. When the real problem is something much more simple, like they are eating too much.

Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed? Casually pointing out that people who have trouble losing weight "are eating too much" isn't helping people identify why.

Nor is telling them "cos starvation mode".

That is true. What is YOUR point? You say, "Eating too much". But there are reasons why that you are ignoring.

What reasons do you think are being ignored?

I just listened to the whole podcast AlabasterVerve mentioned on the Obesity Journal Study: It's not just CICO thread called "Why Do We Overeat? Homeostatic vs. Non-Homeostatic Eating ". That podcast discussion rang true to me. (I tried to put the link on here but couldn't. Maybe someone can bring it over?)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Because most people who talk about "starvation mode" don't mean it in a way that equates to thermogenic or metabolic adaptation. They believe that eating too little causes them to gain weight, which is a total myth.

That is the crux of it.

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but one article on t-nation.com by someone with "Dr." before their name doesn't make something real.

Dr. Jade Teta is a naturapath who makes a living selling books, workout programs, and training through his weight loss company whose primary message is "fixing" metabolic problems. In other words, he is far from an unbiased author.

Adaptive thermogenesis is a real thing, but it's not something the average dieter needs to worry about. If you severely restrict calories over a very long period of time, your metabolism will slow down over time. But we are talking about a large deficit over a long period of time with no breaks. That's why if you have a lot of weight to lose that will take years to complete, it is recommended that you take a couple of weeks every 3 or 4 months and eat at maintenance. But even though it's a real thing, it won't stop you from losing weight, it just slows it down a little. Otherwise anorexics, people who go on hunger fasts, starving people in war-torn countries wouldn't get to the point where they were skin and bones, they would just get sluggish wouldn't they?

That's the point of the article. I think people automatically get defensive because of the words "starvation mode" when in fact the article is talking about the different levels of metabolic damage and if you do have metabolic damage there's ways to fix it depending on what level you are in. Obviously, this article doesn't apply to everyone. Everyone knows you can still lose weight if you are on a really low calorie diet. It may not be healthy, but it's still possible. You can't argue the fact people do hit plateaus. What cause their plateau could be a variety of reasons. What is the number on stated phrase on here? Weight loss is not linear. For most people it's likely they are eating too many calories. The metabolic rate will slow down as you lose weight and will take much more to continue losing at the same rate because the body does not burn as many calories as it did when at a much higher weight. The smaller the body, the less energy it takes to operate. There are people out there that do have metabolic damage, but may not know it. I personally did experience something like this. I don't know if it was actually metabolic damage, but when I stopped losing weight I took a break because I was actually hungrier than before I started losing weight. Then I got back on to my routine and weight loss jump started again. This was way before I came across this article. For me it explained something that I couldn't explain. I thought it was an interesting read. People can do with it what they want.

As far as the biased author, I personally don't feel selling other products for income devalues his opinion. Personal trainers, nutritionists, and even medical doctors do it. It doesn't mean his opinion is worthless. If he did not have the references he stated in the article then I would question it. I personally thought it was a valid article. He is a integrative physician. This is what he does: he practices healing oriented medicine that includes both alternative as well as conventional medicine.

I would respectfully disagree, that's not the point of the article. The point of the article is to convince anyone who's having trouble losing weight that they have experienced metabolic damage so they will then buy his book. When the real problem is something much more simple, like they are eating too much.

Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra calories than needed? Casually pointing out that people who have trouble losing weight "are eating too much" isn't helping people identify why.

That is true. What is YOUR point? You say, "Eating too much". But there are reasons why that you are ignoring.

I just listened to the whole podcast AlabasterVerve mentioned on the Obesity Journal Study: It's not just CICO thread called "Why Do We Overeat? Homeostatic vs. Non-Homeostatic Eating ". That podcast discussion rang true to me. (I tried to put the link on here but couldn't. Maybe someone can bring it over?)

This?

https://medium.com/@dannylennon/why-do-we-overeat-homeostatic-vs-non-homeostatic-eating-1d2e8e33ddce#.63y2auqhy
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I'm just going to assume "YOUR" here means MFP mean people in general and not just me because I haven't said it in this thread because this discussion is about "starvation mode" or lack thereof in the the general population of westerners/countries with no food access issues. And in that context the why of why people overeat is totally irrelevant to this debate, which is about adaptive thermogenesis and fixing it and trying to tell vast swathes of people that this is an issue they both need to worry about and fix. Which is patently untrue.

The psychological, environmental and even basic poor tracking of intake reasons to lack of weight loss are for a different debate.
  • DebSozo
    Options

I'm just going to assume "YOUR" here means MFP mean people in general and not just me because I haven't said it in this thread because this discussion is about "starvation mode" or lack thereof in the the general population of westerners/countries with no food access issues. And in that context the why of why people overeat is totally irrelevant to this debate, which is about adaptive thermogenesis and fixing it and trying to tell vast swathes of people that this is an issue they both need to worry about and fix. Which is patently untrue.

The psychological, environmental and even basic poor tracking of intake reasons to lack of weight loss are for a different debate.

Ugh. Sorry. Misquoted again. I wasn't responding to your post. I'm not used to using my cell phone. (My ipad fell on the tile floor and shattered to bits). Thanks for the heads up so I can be more diligent to hit quote button on the right posts.
  • DebSozo
    Options

This?

https://medium.com/@dannylennon/why-do-we-overeat-homeostatic-vs-non-homeostatic-eating-1d2e8e33ddce#.63y2auqhy

Yes thanks. The podcast interview is at the bottom of the article.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

Good point. I think I might start a new thread so we can have this discussion.

@DebSozo Would you like to participate?
  • DebSozo
    Options

Sure!
  • DebSozo
    Options

I would respectfully disagree, that's not the point of the article. The point of the article is to convince anyone who's having trouble losing weight that they have experienced metabolic damage so they will then buy his book. ***When the real problem is something much more simple, like they are eating too much.

***This is the post and statement I was attempting to reply to.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

Sure!

Here it is!

Please review the OP and tell me if you want something changed.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10410621/why-do-people-overeat-and-or-become-obese-is-it-harder-than-average-for-some-to-lose-weight/p1?new=1
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options

Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra 0calories than needed? Casually pointing out that people who have trouble losing weight "are eating too much" isn't helping people identify why.

Sure!

Here it is!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10410621/why-do-people-overeat-and-or-become-obese-is-it-harder-than-average-for-some-to-lose-weight/p1?new=1

OP sounds fine to me.

--I just need to be sure to read future threads in context better next time and reply to the correct person. Thanks again.

(Plus I have to edit so many posts because of typos from tiny little keys. My phone "autocorrects" incorrectly a lot)
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

Why are they eating so much? What drives the desire and need to consume extra 0calories than needed? Casually pointing out that people who have trouble losing weight "are eating too much" isn't helping people identify why.

Sure!

Here it is!

OP sounds fine to me.

--I just need to be sure to read future threads in context better next time and reply to the correct person. Thanks again.

(Plus I have to edit so many posts because of typos from tiny little keys. My phone "autocorrects" incorrectly a lot)

Great! I made a small change to highlight the topics for discussion to help the conversation stay on track.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I'm not sure why someone flagged our posts as "abuse". It was an honest accident and I apologized. :(
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
    I'm not sure why someone flagged our posts as "abuse". It was an honest accident and I apologized. :(

I don't think it was anything you did. You can report those flags as inappropriate.
  • DebSozo
    edited June 2016
    Options

I don't think it was anything you did. You can report those flags as inappropriate.

I'm new on MFP, so I'm not sure how to do that. For the record I haven't reported any posts on this thread.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

My goodness, I was flagged as well, I saw the others. None seemed deserving. I went to my post and under the "flag" sub-menu used the report function to state that it was flagged inappropriately.

Typically moderators will warn the person flagging if they find it is not appropriate.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

My goodness, I was flagged as well, I saw the others. None seemed deserving. I went to my post and under the "flag" sub-menu used the report function to state that it was flagged inappropriately.

Typically moderators will warn the person flagging if they find it is not appropriate.

Yeah. I heard that 5 flags could shut down a thread? Maybe someone is trying to get rid of the thread?
  • DebSozo
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Yeah. I heard that 5 flags could shut down a thread? Maybe someone is trying to get rid of the thread?

Probably someone in starvation mode.

They flagged a bunch of people! I guess mods will look into it.