Bookworms

Options

Replies

• SlytherPuff4Life
    SlytherPuff4Life Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi all. My favorite books I have to list by categories...
    and "The Others" series also by Anne Bishop.
    Young Adult:"Chronicles of Nick" series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    and "Artemis Fowl" series by Eoin Colfer.
    and "The Circle of Magic" series by Tamora Pierce.

Options
    Has anyone here read "The Girl On The Train" by Paula Hawkins??? I want to discuss it :)

I it was okay. I didn't like the main character at all, which makes for a tough read. It was also not as suspenseful as it was talked up to be.

I just finished it today.
    Completely underwhelming.
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Lucy1771 wrote: »
    Has anyone here read "The Girl On The Train" by Paula Hawkins??? I want to discuss it :)

I it was okay. I didn't like the main character at all, which makes for a tough read. It was also not as suspenseful as it was talked up to be.

I just finished it today.
    Completely underwhelming.

To me it seemed as though the author was done with the book and just quickly threw in an ending.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'm about to finish Oryx and Crake. Margaret Atwood scares the crap out of me.
  • xEmmaReynoldsx
    xEmmaReynoldsx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like reading but don't know if I'd call myself a book worm. Can take me a little while to read a book, my last one was 'will you remember me?' I thought it was quite good :-)
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Sugar_Pill wrote: »
    Just started "The Girls" by Emma Cline on a recommendation from a friend- not typically my kind of book, but I'm hopeful.

Did you enjoy it? I'm reading it now.
  • mjmbjmgjm1
    mjmbjmgjm1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Love to read....usually 2 to 3 books a week and all sorts of books
  • maryrice702
    maryrice702 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started reading the Murderer's Daughter by Jonathan Keller.
  • lisciousg24
    lisciousg24 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Lately since I'm apparently on an extended vacation, I've been reading quite a bit.
    Just finished Ashley Bell by Dean Koontz. Zoo2 by James Patterson. And Rogue Lawyer by John Grishsm.
    Needless to say, they were all pretty good.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Just started Game of Thrones, volume 1. A long way to go!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Anyone read "A Hologram for the King" by Dave Eggers? Is it a good book?
  • lisciousg24
    lisciousg24 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Just started Game of Thrones, volume 1. A long way to go!

Let me know what you think about it. Maybe I'll pick it up if it's good
  • danj_64
    danj_64 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I loved the Game of Thrones series. I remember the first 100 pages of the first book being a bit hard to get through but after that it was great!
    I am currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying it so far - I'm really early into it; and I'm anticipating a lot of stuff because I got into the thing by watching Season Six with my brother-in-law, getting very confused, and picking up on detail via YouTube snippets. So I'm reading the books with some knowledge of what's going to happen to some characters, and meeting some others for the first time.

The giving perspective to different characters by chapter is really nice; and Martin gets into the mind and sinew of Arya wonderfully - my first eye-smarting moments in the book have been with her. When the chapter's in her name or Tyrion's, I'm very happy. Less enthused about living in Cat's head, but I understand why we need to be there. In the videos and the show, Tyrion is, hands-down, no-contest, my very favorite character; happy to say I love him in the book, too. In the show, Dany confused me at first, and then I got to identify her as our Napoleon character. In the book I linked to her immediately.

So I'll be happily swimming along!
  • AnnieintheN0rth
    AnnieintheN0rth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Guilty as charged. Made my career out of it and became a librarian!

Currently reading:
    American Gods by Neil Gaimen
    Cupid's Poisoned Arrow by Marnia Robinson
    Introduction to Tantra by Lama Thubten Yeshe
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Oh my! Sounds like dream job!
    Guilty as charged. Made my career out of it and became a librarian!

Currently reading:
    American Gods by Neil Gaimen
    Cupid's Poisoned Arrow by Marnia Robinson
    Introduction to Tantra by Lama Thubten Yeshe

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Anyone read "A Hologram for the King" by Dave Eggers? Is it a good book?

i read it and thought it was just ok. i'm a huge fan of "a heartbreaking work of staggering genius" but i haven't found his later works to hold up as well, except for a few of the short stories.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    elka67 wrote: »
    Sugar_Pill wrote: »
    Just started "The Girls" by Emma Cline on a recommendation from a friend- not typically my kind of book, but I'm hopeful.

Did you enjoy it? I'm reading it now.

Regarding The Girls by Emma Cline: Well-written and flowed nicely, but too much a copy of real life Manson-esque issues.

I read Postcards by Proulx and the Storied Life of AJ Fickry by Zevin over the weekend. I liked both of them.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm in - I am a huge booklover, and will read just about anything. I love murder mysteries, have been through all the Agatha Christies, love the books set in Quebec by Louise Penny, tore through all the Harry Potter books, also read non fiction biographies and historical novels (the white Queen for example) - just about anything. Right now I am reading a Sherlock Holmes derivation (my all time favourite book character is Sherlock) and have at least 4 Elizabeth George books waiting in line. Also love the series by Alexander Mccall about Precious Ramotswe and her detective business -charming, easy on the head books. Also loved the
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I'm in - I am a huge booklover, and will read just about anything. I love murder mysteries, have been through all the Agatha Christies, love the books set in Quebec by Louise Penny, tore through all the Harry Potter books, also read non fiction biographies and historical novels (the white Queen for example) - just about anything. Right now I am reading a Sherlock Holmes derivation (my all time favourite book character is Sherlock) and have at least 4 Elizabeth George books waiting in line. Also love the series by Alexander Mccall about Precious Ramotswe and her detective business -charming, easy on the head books. Also loved the

oops, cut myself off!! Meant to say I love the Janet Evanovich Series that started with One for the Money (but hated the movie that starred I think it was Katherine Heigl) I have read the Girl on the Train, and thought it was ok. I am pretty picky about what I read - I despise bodice busters (sorry Outlander fans!).