Anyone else afraid to get rid of their fat clothes?

Options
1235»

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    OMG! YES! I went through this! Took me months to buy new clothes and start wearing them.

For a few weeks I wore a couple of pair of pants where I was folding them over in the back and pinning it.

My wife finally forced me to start buying new clothes.

The hardest part was going through my closet and bagging up all my fat clothes to bring to charity.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    No way! I was like "see ya"! I've made a lifestyle change so I feel comfortable that I won't need my old big clothes.

I did keep some items as you never know what life might bring you. To serve as a reminder, I kept a pair a jeans I could barely zip up at one point. Now I can almost fit into one leg, but I was thrilled to give away or throw away my bigger clothes.

Other items I really liked and was in great shape I had taken in as well.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I felt like this too. But we're moving soon, so the unnecessary extra stuff has to go!
  • tomich54
    tomich54 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    With the exception of a comparison piece or two, i am more afraid to NOT get rid of them...I have kept them in the past...as the weight came back, i crept down to the basement and started hauling them back out...wearing them...pretty soon, guess what is in a bag in the basement?!

I learned the hard way, for me, it is better to get rid of them. If the replacements get tight, I have two choices: 1. kick my own *kitten* back into gear. 2) re-buy fat clothes. You can bet it will be #1!

THIS! Ikept one pair of jeans to do the pic w/ when I'm at goal. I sell everything else on e-bay, use that money to buy smaller clothes, and then re-sell those when they get to big! I love it! It's shopping and not spending any money! :blushing:
  • macandcheese5ever
    macandcheese5ever Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I gave most of mine away to a friend who is beginning her weight loss! As for my clothing, I've tried to alter my bigger clothes, and buy cheaper items along the way. It is really fun looking for smaller clothes though!! :smile:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine... thinking it was good bye forever. then I stalled.. and gained 15 back.. so the new ones are tight but wearable and HOPEFULLY will start losing again soooooonnn... Not sorry i got rid of them tho
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have gotten rid of some but kept the nicer items. My husband and I want to have kids in the near future, so I have saved some of my larger clothes to wear in the early stages of pregnancy, before I will need maternity, and to also wear while I work on losing baby weight.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm not saving any too-big clothes. No reason to.

I got rid of almost everything & am working on a small wardrobe to get me by as I lose more. It sure makes it easier to see what I have to wear now thaat the only things left are those that fit.

Most of my things were donated, a few were thrown out, a few went to consignment.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    another thought. It was ridiculous to save some of them.. I was in a hurry one day.... grabbed shorts to throw in gym bag (I went to gym dressed to work out.. but was going out afterwards) .... worked out.. took a shower... and put the shorts on.. and they fell off my hips... they shouldn't have still been in the drawer but.... it was funny/embarrassing at the same time.. I rolled the top down twice and went out anyway... ..
  • rlkilgo
    rlkilgo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them... don't use them as a crutch. I got rid of mine and I am not looking back.

I wanted to comment on your life change. You look great! I read your profile and want you to know that you are an encouragement to me. I am about to turn 51 and I also decided it was time to take control. God bless you on your journey :flowerforyou:

I forgot to address this to Crochetluvr. :happy:
  • sandypaper
    Options
    Don't be afraid to get rid of the fat clothes! Throw them away, give them to charity - do anything but keep them. I've rediscovered my love of recycling, up-cycling and shopping in Charity Shops. Replacing your wardrobe with well fitting, smaller clothes is so good for your confidence. And if there comes a time when the smaller sized clothes get a little bit tight, then you know it's time to up the exercise to lose the extra pound/ inch :D
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    um. HELL NO.
  • Otter1422
    Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Nope clothes gone never going back, 80LB down right now and I have had to get rid of newly bought "skinnier" clothes.
  • sleepyotter
    sleepyotter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I can get away with wearing my old stuff as long as I cinch and belt things, but my clothes from a year ago don't look flattering on me at all, anymore. I haven't been wearing them as often, but I haven't gotten to the mindset yet where I know I don't need them anymore. I'm just afraid that as soon as I get rid of them something terrible will happen and I'm going to gain all the weight back.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I hadn't been in much of a hurry to get rid of my fat stuff as I guess there was always a niggle that they might come in handy one day .....

A few weeks ago however, the rail broke in one of my wardrobes so I started thinning the herd. A couple of hours of ruthless bagging later, I've hardly got anything to wear! Like others, I've kept one pair of trousers for the required comedy photo when I reach goal.

To be honest, most of my fat stuff was pretty horrible anyway as when at my highest weight, I didn't have much inclination to go clothes shopping so it was all quite bland basics bought more out of necessity than 'want'. I've got some clothes from when I was on my way up the scale to keep me going (not many of the basics, just stuff I couldn't bear to throw away even if I could only fit one leg in) but for the first time in a long time, I'm actually looking forward to going shopping.

Chuck them away - if you keep them it only makes it easier to creep back into them and kid yourself it's only a couple of pounds!
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    nope. cuz when i drop them off at the thrift shop, i can pop some tags.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • penelopeyvonne
    penelopeyvonne Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've now got rid of ALL the clothes that are now too big for me, with the exception of a winter coat which is going on eBay in the autumn!

For years, I've had two suitcases under the bed filled with a mixture of clothes that were too big and too small, as well as trunks all over, and two triple-wardrobes (just for me!). Now, those two wardrobes are filled only with clothes that fit me.

I have deliberately got rid of all the Fat Clothes because I will NEVER wear them again, or fit into them. This is a VOW, not even a determination!

Some of the clothes I wore but once or twice, because they were too tight, went into a suitcase or a trunk and "put away" for a rainy, better, day. Those days are now here and, in fact, some of those clothes ("resurrection" clothes, for my new life!) are too big and those, too, will be going to charity or to eBay.

I hardly recognise the New Me now - not for the weight loss, but for the Quiet Determination to never be The Fattest Person In The Room (actually, there was one fatter than me, but she's recently left!). I strut more, I am soooo much more confident in the way I walk and carry myself. Okay, I don't like looking at myself with no or hardly any clothes on, but I don't dress with my back to the mirror any more.

Get shot of the Fat Clothes - you will never wear them again, and you don't need the reminder of how big you once were ... those memories will never fade :grumble: