How to sync Samsung S Health (SHealth) to MFP (MyFitnessPal)

Options
RoadRashTX
RoadRashTX Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

I recently replaced my FitBit with the Samsung Gear Fit2 and I was looking for a way to sync my steps to MFP. I did some searching and found a solution in an Android forum. I know others have been looking for the same, so I have put together a small set of instructions. I do not provide any guarantees that this will work for everyone. It is currently working for me on my Galaxy Note 4.

1. Install Withings Health Mate and create an account - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.withings.wiscale2&hl=en

2. When you log in for the first time you will see the "Start tracking your activity" banner in the Timeline

3. Click on that banner and on the next page click on "Activate Now"

4. You will then see a prompt that has "Google Fitness API" and "S-Health API". Choose "S-Health API"

5. On the next screen you should see that S Health On is already turned ON. You need to turn Step count to ON and then click DONE

6. On the next screen you should see that Steps tracking is activated, now click DONE\

7. On the final screen you can set your step goal and click SAVE

8. The next step is to go into the Withings menu and click on Profile. Once in your profile, click on Partner apps and then connect Withings to MFP.

9. The final step is to open MFP, go to the Menu, click on Steps and then choose "The Withings WiFi Scale" as your device.

Now you will see steps appear in MFP under the "Calories Remaining" section of the homepage and also in your Diary.

I have noticed some issues with this setup. Sometimes the steps do not sync without opening the Withings app and the MFP app. Sometimes the Withings app reports some strange step counts. At least this gets the steps into MFP.

I also know that someone else created an app to get Fitbit data into S-Health and they have future plans to get S-Health data into Fitbit. So this could be another future solution since Fitbit syncs nicely with MFP. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jsonlo.fitandhealthy&hl=en

Of course, the best thing would be if MFP and Samsung would work together.

I hope this helps.

Replies

• 20Chica13
    20Chica13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Found advice on another site to connect MFP to Strava App and S Health to Strava App. bermudamartin said:
    "I struggled for a while, but I finally found a simple solution!
    Withings HelathApp did not work for me so I deleted it and kind of gave up on syncing with myfitnesspal. Then I downloaded the Strava App to connect with some of my "runner" friends. When I connected Strava with my S Health...VIOLA! All of a sudden my S-Health data is syncing with my myfitnesspal!!!!
    I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but it was easy and it has been working for over a month and I could not be happier!"
    Source: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-gear-s2/635122-sync-s-health-myfitnesspal.html

For instructions from Stava see below:
  • Marty19666
    Marty19666 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Strava app is no longer listed under "partner apps".
  • adelanghe
    adelanghe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was looking for the same connection and you're right, Strava is not on Partner apps but on Settings/Connected services. I'll do the test and report back.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Marking to follow. Thanks for putting this together!
  • Fatoshie
    Fatoshie Posts: 47 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I tried connecting my s health to withings and then withings to stridekick app where you can create or join step challenges.
    Lets say my s health reads 10,000 steps from my gear s2 watch. Perfect.
    When I open withings it reads 12,000 steps. Huh..
    And then when I open stridekick it reads 1900 steps.
    I've been trying a way for two days now and Im getting frustrated.. really? Such popular gadget/app samsung owns cant pair with others???
  • RoadRashTX
    Options
    So withings used to to work for me but not very well. I tried using Strava but that is not working for me at all. I am back to square one. I really wish someone would finally come out with a way to sync these 2.
  • Ainevethe
    Ainevethe Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Oh I wish these would have worked for me. :(
  • RoadRashTX
    Options
    Solved - App Fit and Healthy will sync between S-Health and FitBit and FitBit already syncs with MFP
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jsonlo.fitandhealthy
  • fpueblo
    fpueblo Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    @RoadRashTX the OP was about s-health and the gear fit2 not the fitbit but thanks for providing the info.
  • Harmony9
    Harmony9 Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have MFP installed on my Samsung phone and MFP shows up under S-Health > Settings > Partner Apps > My Apps. From the S-Health app I select Settings > Data Permissions > MFP then select what MFP is allowed to write and read. I have it set to write, not read since I enter most of my data into MFP. @RoadRashTX if you select Settings > Connected services you will see 6 services that you can integrate with S Health: Fitbit, Jawbone, Microsoft Health, Misfit, Runkeeper, and Strava. Add your FitBit and eliminate the need for Fit and Healthy. If you want to use the Gear Fit2, you should be able to do the opposite of what I do and turn on the "read" settings to get MFP to read data from the Gear Fit2.
  • maggiej603
    maggiej603 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi, Harmony9 I have allowed all write and read between MFP and S Health but nothing that is logged in one app is shared to the other. Any ideas what to do?
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Harmony9, just used your suggestions to get my Samsung Gear S3 connected to MFP. Got my fingers crossed!
  • lydiab6
    lydiab6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Steps seem to be transferring, Im having trouble getting s health to read the food intake from myfitnesspal. All of the settings say it should be, and its not...any suggestions?
  • chrisb22
    chrisb22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Harmony9 & lydiab6 want settings are you using in MFP to get S-health to sync. I follow Harmony9 instructions for the s-health side but I don't know how to set-up the MFP side. In MFP, what is selected as your step device?
  • cyguerrero
    cyguerrero Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you need a fitbit or something like it to transfer data between apps? Can't sync mfp and s health even after following @Harmony9 steps. I don't have a fitbit i use my phone (s health) to read my steps and just want to sync the apps.
  • RobinB0812
    RobinB0812 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Harmony9 - I am struggling too. I followed your instructions and I got nothing. :(
  • MsEbony
    MsEbony Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Greetings fellow Samsung Gear Fit 2 and MFP users. I followed Harmony 9 steps on my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and MFP showed on watch but wouldn't open.
    I uninstalled MFP from partner apps, updated to latest version of S Health THEN installed MFP partner app and they are talking!
    Note where Harmony mentions settings to read or write in MFP, I have mine set to read AND write.I also have partner app S workout trainer which is AMAZING and the workouts show on my watch too!
    I personally like MFP for meal tracking and S Health for excercise. Now MFP adds meals to my S Health albeit under a different title. S Health sends my excercise from steps and my other partner app S workout trainer to MFP.
  • MsEbony
    MsEbony Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    chrisb22 wrote: »
    Harmony9 & lydiab6 want settings are you using in MFP to get S-health to sync. I follow Harmony9 instructions for the s-health side but I don't know how to set-up the MFP side. In MFP, what is selected as your step device?

Chris in MFP app home the 3 lines on left > steps (pic of shoes) > change from default iphone to S health and then you will see a progress bar displaying your steps show underneath your daily stats banner.
  • Jax_Grim
    Jax_Grim Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just started using MFP again today after seeing S Health is now a partner. I am using an S6 Edge with a S2 Gear Classic. Everything is working great. I am able to select the S Health as the Step device in MFP. I couldn't get the steps to show up yesterday but they are working today. Food info is transferring from MFP to S Health, but I haven't seen it work vice versa (which is no biggie because MFP entry is better).
  • chrisb22
    chrisb22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, MsEbony. I finally got it to work I think. Once I updated the MFP app, S Health begin to show as a partner app and I was able to select it as a step source. My steps are still not appearing in MFP but I'm thinking it will within a day since my MFP nutrition info is now showing in S Health just like Jax_Grim. Thanks, all.