doctor wants me carb free.

Options
For various health issue related to inflammation my doctor thinks a carb free life style will be best for me. Any one have any tips to do and maintain this life style

Replies

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I agree, ask for a referral to a dietician. If you want to you could try a keto diet (which is probably what the dr. really meant by "carb free"). There's lot of useful information available online for the diet.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Your doctor doesn't want you to eat any vegetables? And hasn't given you a meal plan??
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Ask for a referral to a dietitian.

THESE.

^^^YUP^^^

I can't imagine going entirely carb free.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I am not "carb free" but limiting my carbs has improved my blood sugars as I have type 2 diabetes.

So my advice would be strat reducing your carbs and substituting whole wheat carbs for any white ones.

So switch to brown bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta etc. and eat 1/2 of what you used to.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Drop any and all grains. I'd second guess the zero carbs, and stick with veggies. Also use Pinterest for recipes. There are a ton of them out there. Keto diet is great too.
  • Saskwatch99
    Saskwatch99 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Ask for a referral to a dietitian.

This this this! Most Doctors have little nutritional training. Also, do your own research. Lots of veggies, fruits, teas and spices have anti inflammatory benefits. Transitioning to a more whole foods diet would be beneficial but that blanket statement by your Doctor isn't very thorough.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I think the recommendations to see a dietitian are sound. But I'm going to assume there was a misunderstanding and your doctor advised a no refined carb diet or perhaps a low (not no) carb diet. If that's what you're asking about here's a good beginners guide: Low Carb for Beginners.

Good luck and make sure to get that referral to a dietician.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OP, while there are a bunch of suggestions coming forward on what your doctor might have meant, please clarify their instructions, ask for detailed guidelines and seek the referral to a dietician. Suggestions are based on assumptions, and when you assume... well, asss, u, me.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your health needs for sure. There are great groups on here one is LCHF daily there is a keto group also. I am not so low that I am in ketosis, I dont track what I eat, but to get my blood sugar down, I eat really low carb. Pretty much no sugar, wheat pasta, rice, fruit or vegetables grown under the ground. I have been doing it for about year and it really helps. I do miss potatoes and bread and pasta, but I am a type 2 diabetic and the long term ramifications are much worse that not having those foods now. Not sure if you use twitter but I follow some great medical doctors on there that recommend LCHF to all of their patients. One of them is a Dr at the Duke University Obesity clinic and he wants people to limit carbs to under 20 a day. Feel free to PM for their names. It is an adjustment, but the benefits are undeniable. Good luck. And remember low carb- not no carb!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Everyone pretty much hit the nail on the head. If your doctor truly said that you should go "Carb Free" then you need a new doctor as he/she doesn't understand what Carbs are and how prevalent they are in many nutrient dense foods. If he/she intended you to limit carbs, or go "refined carb free" or "grain free" then that may be a misunderstanding but I would still get a referral to a registered dietitian to help you develop an appropriate plan for you.

What is the medical issue you are having that prompted this conversation with your doctor? What benefits did he/she indicate you would see from the change he/she was suggesting?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    OP, while there are a bunch of suggestions coming forward on what your doctor might have meant, please clarify their instructions, ask for detailed guidelines and seek the referral to a dietician. Suggestions are based on assumptions, and when you assume... well, asss, u, me.

I bet the OP means no bread and that they need to follow a low carb diet like atkins or keto, because fruits and veg certain has carbs.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I bet the OP means no bread and that they need to follow a low carb diet like atkins or keto, because fruits and veg certain has carbs.

48ee00ed3730663d33fc44c43362575be8710d51ce2ca42f1c947a33645785f8.jpg
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A no carb diet would eliminate all fruits, all vegetables, all grains, dairy, condiments and processed meats. You would be left with oils and unprocessed meats. I'd clarify this no carb diet with your doctor right away. It seems lacking in nutrients and unsustainable.

Low carb diet would probably just eliminate many grains (bread, pasta, rice, baked goods, candy) but allow you to eat most other foods. You can find tons of low carb tips and recipes online. You could try the South Beach diet.
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    You've misunderstood what your doctor said, unless he's an absolute nut or you have a very, very serious medical condition. Low carb? Nothing wrong with that. Zero carb? Ridiculous.

^^this, and zero carb is virtually, impossible.