Workouts and depression

Options

Replies

• Livematthew25
    Livematthew25 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    So I've read a lot about how exercise is supposed to help people feel less depressed and increase moods... It hasn't worked for me though and sometimes I even feel a bit moodier after working out.. I don't know why, any tips on what could maybe help!?

I'm not quite sure how you're expecting anyone here to be able to help you battle depression? Something either helps or it doesn't, for me it does much of the time, but sometimes it doesn't. See your doctor, change medication, plan something in your life that you look forward to, change your workout to one that excites you...this is all a you thing, not a random people on the internet giving you a step by step guide how to overcome it thing. One of the greatest and worst things you'll ever discover is depression is not a thing you can specifically target and switch on and off with certain things. It's just random.

Just thought this comment came off as a little rude. Especially if you're talking to a depressed person. If you can't offer help, maybe just don't comment?

OP: Scripture helps me. The words of Jesus washing over me always work better than meds. And listening to contemporary Christian music that uplifts you. Try "Hello My name is" by Matthew West.
  • d4_54
    d4_54 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So I've read a lot about how exercise is supposed to help people feel less depressed and increase moods... It hasn't worked for me though and sometimes I even feel a bit moodier after working out.. I don't know why, any tips on what could maybe help!?

Setting yourself small/medium/large exercise/fitness goals may help? It makes the exercise more purposeful.

Go with a friend. You will be amazed what inviting someone to the gym does for your enjoyment when it becomes a social event and not just part of the exercise grind?

Listen to music.

Chat with people in there more.

Do a a different routine every single session.

Hope these help?

Have you questioned your feelings at that time? When you actually feel moody you could ask yourself what exactly is it that is making me moody? Is there a specific thing about exercise that makes you moody?

• d4_54
    d4_54 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    d4_54 wrote: »

Setting yourself small/medium/large exercise/fitness goals may help? It makes the exercise more purposeful.

Go with a friend. You will be amazed what inviting someone to the gym does for your enjoyment when it becomes a social event and not just part of the exercise grind?

Listen to music.

Chat with people in there more.

Do a a different routine every single session.

Hope these help?

Have you questioned your feelings at that time? When you actually feel moody you could ask yourself what exactly is it that is making me moody? Is there a specific thing about exercise that makes you moody?

Sorry I misread post. It's not exercise that makes you moody. You are trying to raise your moods. If exercise doesn't help there are a million other enjoyable things. Let us know if you try any of the suggestions and if they help.

Chin up
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, depression feels as though I have concrete arms and legs. Just moving can be hard, but once you get moving, the concrete crumbles...
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My job takes me to China on month long business trips. 8 of them since June 2014. I can say with an absolute certainty that exercise is key to my mental health. The first trip was in Shanghai and I was able to swim every day. 5km a day.
    But it took until my most recent trip to find another pool I could swim at in Hangzhou. The trips in between were torture. Filled with anxiety, sudden bursts of anger and a very low tolerance for BS.
    By my last trip I had increased my daily swim to 4 miles. And being able to swim in a pool with a lane rope designated just for lap swimmers, made a huge difference. Being away from family and home for a month can be stressful enough. Swimming every day and hitting the weight room in the gym made the trip more bearable. No anger. No anxiety. Just counting the days to departure.
    Swimming is also highly meditative. Clears my mind and often I find solutions to a design challenge just pop into my head while I'm counting strokes.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It depends on the root cause of the depression - if this is hormone related (specifically endorphin) then yes, exercise can have a dramatic impact. If the depression is related to body image, then yes, but only over time and consistent exercise.
  • weightliftingbarbie
    Options
    Weight lifting has been the biggest anti depressant for me :)
  • trudiebamford
    trudiebamford Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't think all exercise is equal when it comes to mental health. I also don't think it's one size fits all - you have to find out what works for you. I find that if I do strength training alone, it makes my depression worse. Cardio makes it better (especially if done outside). But surprisingly, the one exercise that raises my mood the most, almost magically, was Pilates. It was like a little 24 hr Prozac.
  • VelociraptorTea
    Options
    Regular ole exercise? It doesn't do so much for me. I mean I gain confidence as I hit milestones because "Oh look what my body can do!". But my real happiness? Sweating it out while dancing and singing to my favorite music, walking out in the sun (with sunscreen-I'm so pale) with my dog, going on adventures with friends...and now yoga. Focusing on how amazing your body is and taking care of yourself is a pretty positive experience.
  • aalixandruh
    aalixandruh Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed with depression when I was a lot younger. I had opted out of medication even though a psychologist strongly recommended it. Exercise does help but it's def not a fix-all. I have noticed that when I eat healthier my mood improves. But some days nothing helps. That's just depression I think. Sometimes I end workouts crying because I can't seem to push myself as hard as I wanted to and feel like a disappointment (dramatic, I know. Ha). You probably go through something similar and that's ok! Just remember that exercise isn't a fix all to depression. Find whatever works best for you. :)
  • aalixandruh
    aalixandruh Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

I'm not quite sure how you're expecting anyone here to be able to help you battle depression?Something either helps or it doesn't, for me it does much of the time, but sometimes it doesn't. See your doctor, change medication, plan something in your life that you look forward to, change your workout to one that excites you...this is all a you thing, not a random people on the internet giving you a step by step guide how to overcome it thing. One of the greatest and worst things you'll ever discover is depression is not a thing you can specifically target and switch on and off with certain things. It's just random.

Which is probably why they asked for tips, no one asked for a step by step how to... So much of your comment is unnecessary and makes you sound like a jerk

I don't understand why people on MFP have to be so mean! Seriously, if you have nothing nice to say... Keep your mouth shut and move on.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,936 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I'm wondering if vitamin D might help. My US geography is not good. If you moved from a southern state to a more northern one you could be sunshine deficient causing you to become low in mood because your body is not able to have the sun to keep your vitamin D levels up. You would not have enough time returning on vacations to increase your sun exposure adequately quickly enough to make a significant difference. One recent piece of research recommends everyone in the UK take Vit D at least for the winter months!

Ya, the fall I moved back to Massachusetts from Florida I had my vitamin D levels tested, found I was low, and have been supplementing every since.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It has helped me a ton and I'm kinda addicted to the endorphins but sometimes when I'm tired, sore and thirsty....i can be a lil quick tempered. Haha
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    The more challenging the workout, the better i feel after completing it. my endorphin levels must be skyrocketing since i feel like i could fly!
    i show up to work happy and buzzing with energy. even my colleagues could differentiate between my workout days and rest days.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options

What are you doing? Dreadmill? Lots of tedious cardio?

Switch to an activity you have fun doing.

Plus lift heavy (you get a "just had sex" feeling afterward).

• divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When I do things like yoga or barre, it doesn't relax me or make me feel better at all. in fact, it's the opposite. It's almost like I have too much time in my head to think. I seem to feel the best when I am doing high intensity, push myself past my limit, leave nothing left in the tank kind of workout. Where the only thought I can literally hold in my head is "don't die" or "don't fall off the treadmill" sprint or "don't drop this weight" kind of strenuous, physical exertion. Even though it kind of sucks in that moment, it's actually the most relaxing, peaceful thing I do all day and it helps boost my mood more than anything else.

I think sometimes when we have an expectation that something will make us feel better and then it doesn't really do or change anything, one can almost feel worse and darker mood. Like this was supposed to help me and it didn't and I don't feel better, so we feel worse. I think it helps to frame it just as something really positive you are doing for yourself. Me time. Not for your boss, not for a family member, not for a significant other, not for a friend. But every ounce of sweat, blood, tears, exertion, and effort you are pouring into this workout is all, completely, and fully for you. To get stronger, faster, fitter, tougher. To build and power and do something kind for your body. To do something to improve yourself today. Just to do something positive.

I love taking classes because the social component is such a big factor. Even if I'm in a bad mood and not feeling social, it helps if I still drag myself to class. Because once I'm there, I'm there. And I figure once I'm there, i might as well do something to get better today. Or some days it's enough just to move and keep my body in motion. But I go, and I see the warm, welcoming smiles from the people at the desk. And see so many faces in my classes. Some people I know well enough to hug, some I don't know names, but the same friendly familiar faces to share smiles with. And you're in class...so it's active. Don't have to make small talk. Don't have to answer questions. Don't have to answer how are you? It's a good way to be around people and not isolate, but without having to be "on." Almost every time, I end up getting out of my own head and feel so glad I went when I almost didn't go.

And being around friendly, funny coaches who know your name and know you... I'm in a bad mood and look over and he's dancing by himself or joking around, and it turns my whole day around.

I don't know that just exercising on my own always makes me feel better, but finding a great, supportive, good energy fitness community has made a huge impact on how I feel. And building up physical strength and endurance makes me feel mentally strong and tough as well.
  • Connieluvsfitness
    Connieluvsfitness Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I'm NOT a professional medical / therapist /doctor please consult a REAL doctor if you are feeling depressed .... TALK TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY
    BUTTTTT
    I think what they mean is that workout should be a supplement to help with ur dealing with depression. It increases endorphins and decreases cortisol levels but if you don't address the issues that are depressing or upsetting you you'll just be fighting a continuous battle and won't see results you want. Oh and listening to music while working out too....God bless you .
    http://www.m.webmd.com/depression/guide/exercise-depression
  • russb_
    russb_ Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think the advice is said as more a way to get one off the couch and out of the mental state by doing something. I've never been cured of depression by hitting the gym five days a week. In fact I become more aggressive and irritable than if I just sat at home. That might be from my choice of metal music though while working out haha.
  • erianswilliams
    erianswilliams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me it helps. But it has become a regular thing for me. Sometimes I lift with my trainer, other times I do cardio, sometimes yoga & Pilates really help. But like someone else mentioned, it isn't a magic pill. And sometimes I still have my bad days where jumping on the treadmill doesn't help. You have to find the right combination of exercise, medicine, therapy, good things that help your mood. Best of luck!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

to little information here for anyone to really give you valid advice, go speak with your doctor and discuss with them how you are feeling. Your doctor knows best, not people on the internet.