My 14 yr old daughter is over-weight and I need advice

Options

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, OP, I absolutely love how you are approaching this with your daughter. Just keep doing what you are doing. If her over-eating is any sort of compensation for emotional issues, or if she would LIKE to refuse food when she is out with friends or with family but doesn't know how to be skillful about it, I think your approach may also help her see you as someone who she could talk to about this. If you can enlist her dr as a resource, too, that would be awesome if that person is as respectful with your daughter as you are.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Give a kid a reason to move and they will move.

This worked great for me as a kid when my mom would chase me with the wooden spoon. :)

OP: I agree that your family physician is the best place to start.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Give a kid a reason to move and they will move.

This worked great for me as a kid when my mom would chase me with the wooden spoon. :)

OP: I agree that your family physician is the best place to start.

Memories ...

Though in my case I was watching my friend's mother chase her with one.

Agree with the 2nd part, and kind of with one part of peleroja's post: nothing wrong with saying things like, "we've had a large lunch/a bunch of snacks/a big dessert, so let's have a smaller dinner" and similar. Introduce the idea that if you indulge a bit, you should then reign yourself in without making it about her.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    julslenae wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    No one has addressed this yet, but you've said that you've become a "junk food nazi" and that she is choosing to get junk food outside the house.

It's possible that your attitude about junk food has given it a special status in her mind - perhaps a form of rebellion because teenagers will be teenagers.

Maybe, if you take the power of junk food out of the equation, your daughter may be more successful.

I've thought about that also in the past and the best decision I've come to so far is to be honest with my daughter and also value my health. I've told her the truth that it is hard for me to resist sugary treats and therefore I don't keep them in the house. It's a decision I've made for my health. Outside of our house is a different matter. We will sometimes go out for ice cream as a treat. She'll order a double chocolate cookie dough blizzard, beg for a large, only be allowed a medium (just like her sister) and I'll choose a hot fudge sundae because that's only 350 calories and much less calories than most blizzards. We were at a birthday party last weekend. I ate a piece of birthday cake and a small scoop of ice cream. She ate 2 pieces of cake along with ice cream. I don't ever to make her feel bad for eating what she does. I was a chunky, self-conscious kid growing up watching my own mother struggle with weight loss and I would love to break the cycle with my daughter.

I don't want to be harsh here, but if that's how she's eating, she probably should feel bad for eating it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with treats in moderation but that kind of quantity is not moderation and it's setting her up for a lifetime as a obese adult. You don't have to be cruel about it but I think it's vital that you make her aware that eating like that is not appropriate or healthy. Downing two pieces of cake with ice cream or a huge blizzard on the regular isn't a good thing. It's fine to indulge once in a while and everyone overeats sometimes, but it's thinking that those kind of portions are acceptable and typical that is a problem.

You think a 14 year old should start feeling guilt and shame over her food choices?! This is not an adult. This is a child. This is the time when young girls especially are most vulnerable to harmful attitudes around eating, the kind that cement themselves in their brain and evolve into bad eating habits as an adult.

Haven't you seen the adults here struggling with feeling guilt and shame and panic over messing up one day because they overate? You really want that to be the struggles of this child?

Not "shame", but yes, absolutely, a little guilt over eating massive quantities of sweets regularly, especially as this kid doesn't seem to realize that it's not something people should do. I don't know if I'm from bizarro-world or what, but that kind of eating isn't good for anyone and it is something that should make you go "I shouldn't have done that." I don't think it should be "you're a bad person because you overeat garbage food all the time," but guilt is the way that people (including children) learn to stop doing things they shouldn't. If my kid skips school, yes, I want them to feel guilty about it. If they are overeating consistently, then yes, maybe a little guilt isn't a bad thing. I'm not advocating being harsh here but I think this whole mentality of "don't ever criticize your child's food choices or you'll ruin their eating for life!" is absolutely bonkers. Telling a fourteen year old "Hey, honey, that was really a lot of dessert after all that other food we had at the party - maybe next time keeping it to one piece of cake would be a good idea," isn't child abuse.

I dunno...I grew up in a house where my mom was always pretty good at telling me "okay, I know you love salt and vinegar chips and all, but a small bowl is lots," or "You had a bagel for breakfast and Subway for lunch, so maybe let's not make a huge bowl of mashed potatoes and garlic bread for dinner," Some kids regulate their food choices just fine, but for those who don't, how the heck are they ever going to learn about eating properly if we don't teach them?

I'm not really a fan of this idea that telling a child that they aren't making good choices is a terrible idea that's going to destroy them forever. I mean, yes, do it with love, do it with sensitivity, don't be condescending or angry or anything, but if parents are now expected to raise their children without telling them to cool it on the sugary snacks because too much of them makes you fat, I really don't know what to say.

And as for "evolving into bad eating habits as an adult", you think letting this kid eat like this is NOT giving her bad eating habits? She already has them, and continuing like this is only going to make it worse. This is why developed countries now have more people overweight or obese than not. Telling a kid she's eating too much junk food is not going to automatically give her an eating disorder. I don't understand this even a little bit.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but when I read stuff like this I just want to bang my head against the wall. We have an obesity crisis, and being afraid to even mention food choices, much less educate your kids properly on how to keep themselves healthy, is not solving the problem.

You are creating a false dichotomy to fuel your argument. The options aren't "make her feel guilt over her food choices" or "do absolutely nothing and allow things to continue as they are", as evidenced by the myriad of opinions in this thread.

You say that your parents were good at this, but honestly, this post is an argument against the choices your parents made. You know why? Because you shouldn't feel guilt over overeating for a day. If that's truly how you feel if you have two slices of cake at a birthday party, then your ideas of food are warped as well. A healthy attitude towards food is not based in guilt or self-criticism, but comfort and self-love. Understanding why you made a choice, accepting it, and adjusting for the future - not feeling guilt over food. This is true of children and adults both, but children in particular are vulnerable and looking to their authority figures for guidance on how to see their bodies and choices.

In your head, you've equated making someone feel guilt and shame for eating unhealthily with education, love, and any corrective measures at all. This makes sense given the history you just gave us, but that's not normal. You can educate without guilt. You can adjust without shame. It's a bit distressing to talk to someone who really can't see that.

Edit: And this ignores how emotional and self-critical girls are at that age. I was overweight at that age. You know what I remember? Every time someone made me feel guilt for my food choices. You know what made me commit to losing weight? Letting go of that guilt and working to love myself instead of listen to the critical voices that had cemented themselves in my head from people like you that think it's appropriate to push guilt and shame onto children - the voices saying why bother, you're already fat, you've screwed up too much to fix it, you'll always be fat, you can never eat "right" enough to cancel out all the crushing guilt from eating badly, etc etc etc. Not because people were saying those terrible things to me, but because "healthy guilt" is not healthy in children because it warps so quickly into those monologues in your head since you're already so self-critical and self-conscious and vulnerable and are not yet old enough to process it effectively.

Are you kidding? If you're using food for comfort, that's a HUGE problem IMO.

I've never been technically overweight, I don't have an eating disorder, and I use food as fuel, not comfort and not as a way to love myself. I don't have emotions about it, generally speaking. If I overeat at a party or something I say to myself "Well, that was dumb and you're going to have a crappy run tomorrow because of it, so maybe think about that next time." I'm talking a little bit of guilt here, not a big emotional upheaval. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by the word, because I just don't understand why feeling a little bad about a bad choice I made about food is any worse than feeling a little guilty about spending too much on a pair of shoes or about being late to meet someone because I was annoyed with my hair or something. It's okay to feel a little bit of negative emotion sometimes in my world, especially if it's going to deter me from making more bad decisions in the future.

My parents raised a kid who doesn't have food issues - I ended up on MFP while I was in university and bartending and not taking great care of myself, which caused me to put on about 25 lbs (about 3 years ago now), which I've since lost and picked up running, strength training, etc. - so I really don't think it's fair to tell me that my attitude isn't effective. I have healthy habits, I eat well most of the time, and I don't beat myself up when I go hogwild on the ice cream or whatever but I don't think it's okay or desirable either when I don't, you know?

I'm out of here, as I'm not going to change anyone's mind and they're definitely not going to change mine, but I wanted to offer something a little less-echo-chamber-y to this discussion as I really don't think this tiptoeing attitude is helpful, honestly. And it breaks my heart that so many kids spend their whole lives overweight because their families don't do something a little more direct about it.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Having raised my daughter, I can tell you that it is as simple as "Do as I do, not as I say."
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I also think that you, op, are doing a fine job. You have communication and openness on the subject, and that's important. Keep doing that. I also support not bringing junk home. Did that with my kids too, lead by example. My son loves sweets, and that's how i was growing up. They had an enormous power over me my whole life. My daughter did developed an eating disorder few yers ago, and that was because of some insensitive adults comments. She was taking medication that increased an appetite and gained some weight. But then it span out of control, she became bulimic and was starving herself. Be careful, it is , like you've said, a very thin line. She's fine now, became vegan, but told me that she feels like if she started counting calories now, things can go back. So good luck, keep on talking to her, be kind, don't criticize, offer support, be involved. All the things you're doing already.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I had this weird thing happen to me when I was 14. I was at an event with a friend and crawling on my knees (don't remember why). She came up to me, and clapped her hands, one on my back and one on my tummy and said "you're so skinny" (in a nice way). I guess she was projecting her weight issues a little, but it bothered me. In fact, I think that was the first time I actually really thought about my weight and afterwards, I started gaining.

It's not her fault, but I can tell you my 14 year old brain sure was weird. So I honestly don't know how to address your concerns.

Has your daughter actually asked you for help to lose weight or are you asking her if she wants to? They're two different things... and I think it still needs to come from her.

Also... maybe she's overeating on junk food because there isn't a "controlled" amount in her house available to her to make it less interesting when she goes out. Perhaps that is something you can deal with yourself - letting junk food in the house. I understand it may be hard for you, but it's something you'll likely have to deal with sooner or later. So if it's a reason she's overeating on that stuff outside the house, maybe sooner is the better option.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    This might come from me watching too much of 'my 600 lbs life' lately... BUT - most of those people started really getting big in the high school years...they were already chubby, they were teased, and they just accepted the 'big girl' or 'big guy' role. Their families 'didn't say anything in order to not hurt their feelings and just let them be happy and eat whatever they wanted'. However they were not happy and it formed horrible coping mechanism for dealing with stress. People here say kids that are told that they are overweight are more likely to be obese in adulthood...don't you think kids will be called that and much worse at school? There is no avoiding it. And as far as I'm concerned I think it's better to act sooner rather than later. It has to be done in a positive way...less restricting and more activity. And for everyone here that are worried about kid developing eating disorder if faced with her weight issue - don't you think that overeating and eating when you are not hungry is not an eating disorder? It is not a normal eating habit.

I don't think there's anyone here arguing that it should be ignored, just approached in a way that isn't "you're overweight and you need to lose weight". Plenty of ways to approach it that aren't based in what she shouldn't be :)

Overeating is not an eating disorder though.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This might come from me watching too much of 'my 600 lbs life' lately... BUT - most of those people started really getting big in the high school years...they were already chubby, they were teased, and they just accepted the 'big girl' or 'big guy' role. Their families 'didn't say anything in order to not hurt their feelings and just let them be happy and eat whatever they wanted'. However they were not happy and it formed horrible coping mechanism for dealing with stress. People here say kids that are told that they are overweight are more likely to be obese in adulthood...don't you think kids will be called that and much worse at school? There is no avoiding it. And as far as I'm concerned I think it's better to act sooner rather than later. It has to be done in a positive way...less restricting and more activity. And for everyone here that are worried about kid developing eating disorder if faced with her weight issue - don't you think that overeating and eating when you are not hungry is not an eating disorder? It is not a normal eating habit.

I don't think there's anyone here arguing that it should be ignored, just approached in a way that isn't "you're overweight and you need to lose weight". Plenty of ways to approach it that aren't based in what she shouldn't be :)

Overeating is not an eating disorder though.

Overeating alone is not classified as an eating disorder - however it is not normal eating habit. Someone who has a tendency to overeat without being hungry is not too far away from binge eating - and that is an eating disorder (included in DMS - 5 classification). I am not saying this girl in particular has it or will develop it. But someone who is overeating in controlled environment (at home) plus overindulging outside home whenever possible (extra cake and ice cream, begging mom for bigger portion)... could easily spiral out of control with the stress and emotions of teenage years. I do not know often and to what extent this happens but being 14, 5'3 and 180 lbs suggests a real issue here. I do not remember one kid being that big back when I was 14 and in school (I am from Europe so it might be different in other places). I agree that being too direct can have opposite effect, and this should be taken seriously. I would suggest getting her interested in sports or dance and get her excited about delicious healthy food choices. The decision to get healthier needs to come from her. Because at 14 she might still be a child but she has a mind of her own and a lot of time outside home where it's up to her to make choices for herself.

Also I checked the BMI for children and teens:

''Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 31.9, placing the BMI-for-age at the 98th percentile for girls aged 14 years. This child is obese and is likely to have health-related problems because of weight and should be seen by a healthcare provider for further assessment.''

Source: https://nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/Calculator.aspx
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You sound like you're trying to go about this the right way - with love and sensitivity. But to a teenager, even things said with love can sound awful. My mother spent YEARS telling me in a concerned voice that I was overweight and it would only get worse, and people would treat me badly.
    All that happened was it became a self-fulfilling prophecy. She said I would get fatter, so I did. I accepted that I would always be the fat kid, and it got worse and worse, just as she said.
    The only thing that will make your daughter lose weight is herself. I didn't lose a single pound until *I* decided it was time to change. All the years of my mum trying to help just meant I became really sneaky at hiding what I was eating, and gorged myself when I had the chance, even if I wasn't hungry.
    The best you can do is continue to set a good example, and hope she follows it. It may take some time, but one day the lightbulb might go off for her and she'll be fully on board.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    julslenae wrote: »
    My 14 yr old daughter is 5'3" and 180 lbs. She is very self conscious about her size. She has struggled with this most of her life but has gotten more over-weight than usual over the last year. I've tried everything I can think of to help her. We have discussed good nutrition. I keep very little junk food in the house. I've even gotten rid of sugary cereals. She isn't active in sports but we try to go for evening walks when our schedules permit and she takes a zumba class once or twice a week. I really don't want her counting calories because I'm worried at her age that she could easily get obsessed with it. Any positive suggestions would be very appreciated.

Hi
    Just a suggestion from out in left field here. Get a complete physical with a complete blood workup to check levels such as Thyroid and blood Sugars. It is better to know things are OK.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    Dr. Appointment and allergy testing. My nieces have found same major allergy issues causing them to gain weight. After finding out what their allergies were, they worked with a nutritionist who helped them work through specifics. Wish we would've started earlier. Main one for both of them was wheat. Changes from diet have helped them both lose around 100lbs each. Well worth the $ and time.

Hi
    Interesting, I would never have thought that food allergies could cause weight gain. Thank You for the Information.

Roger