Waterwaterwater? How do you do it?

Options
How does everyone get all that water in per day? Best practices and tips? Also, do you have a favorite water bottle or method to drink it?

Replies

• jedwards92286
    jedwards92286 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always to make sure to have water with me. I keep a full bottle of ice cold water at my desk. Sometimes I make it a point just to stop and drink a whole glass of water if I haven't had enough for the day. I use one of those plastic cups with the lid and straw at work, I try to fill it up at least 4 times a day. I don't like flavored water, but I have heard others say it really helps them drink more. It might help at first to track how much water you drink. Until I got used to drinking more water, I would make a tally mark on a sticky note every time I finished my cup. There are also apps you can use.
  • olympicpoledancer
    olympicpoledancer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A straw! I need a cup with a straw. Thanks for the idea.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I have a 40 ounce bottle. It's a HydroFlask knock off sold by MonoPrice. And I know that on non active Days I need to drink at least 3 of them. And I take it everywhere with me. It holds Ice for over 24 hours so when I go out I take in the car, when I'm at work I take it with me.... I hate drinking warm/hot water so I wanted to make sure my water bottle would hold keep it cold all dang day.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I have a 22 oz. Brita bottle that I keep on my desk. (The water at my office is really nasty, hence the Brita bottle.) One cup of coffee in the morning, then I have to drink two bottles of water before I can have my afternoon Monster. Then I have another 20 ounces (or more) of water with dinner. Pretty easy to fit 64 oz in my day.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I love water and prefer it to any other drink when not during meals (or coffee, duh, lol). I always keep a water bottle with me. I have several hydroflasks. They are the bomb. Best bottles I've ever had, they don't break (I always end up dropping and breaking water bottles, usually within the first 2-3 months and usually one that I really like), I've dropped them all several times and they're still going strong, if not a little dented, lol. There's several mouth pieces to choose from, depending on your preference. They keep ice frozen sitting in hot sand on the beach for over 4 hours, and coffee steaming hot for.....well, I don't know how long because I always drink my coffee after brewing it, lol. There are several different sizes depending on your needs (I have an 18oz for coffee/tea, a 21 oz that fits in my car's cup holder, and a 32 oz that I use at work mainly, those are just mine, my son and DH each have one too) and they make pint glasses now....so beer. http://www.hydroflask.com/
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have a 52 oz Bubba cup I got at Walmart. Every morning I fill it with ice, then water. I have several containers with water that I keep in my office so I can refill my cup as it empties. The cup keeps the ice really well, I will still have ice at the end of the day when I go home. I find that I refill the cup with water at least once a day (with the ice I'm not drinking 52 oz of water at a time). I do like my drinks to be icy cold. In the summer I will make ice tea with herbal tea bags and fill my cup with that, then add water during the day. I will also drink water with my meals. I have been doing this for years so it is a habit to grab for water when I am thirsty rather than most anything else. I do drink tea, both hot and cold and will count that as part of my water intake as well.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options

The straw really, really helps. I rarely use water bottles without a straw at this point. For me it was the difference between struggling to get in a few cups of water a day and being able to nearly unconsciously drink over 8-10 cups a day. I also take my water bottle with me everywhere when I go out and always have it near me at home.

I also know that my water bottles hold about 24 oz, so if I get through three of them a day, I'm at 9 cups of water. I try to get at least one done before lunch, a little more than one done in the afternoon, and try to finish the third in early evening (so I'm not up all night in the bathroom).

I hate the taste of water (yes, for some of us it does taste even if it is bottled or filtered), so I typically add some lemon or lime to my water bottle. I found "Real Lemon" and "Real Lime" at Walmart that are individual packets of dried juice equal to one slice of lemon or lime. Think of a sugar packet, but instead it contains dried lemon or lime. I carry those with me should I need to refill my water bottle while out and about - one packet per bottle is usually good enough. I used to use the single packets of some of the water flavors, but found they left a film in my water bottles and contained more calories.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    no straws for me. that would take me forever. I gulp it! I love it. I need to gulp it to get my daily allowance in. I have 32 oz bottle that goes everywhere with me. I drink coffee and water mostly (and vodka and wine- but mostly water :) I usually only add lemon when I need a bit of a change.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I just drink stuff when I'm thirsty (mostly coffee or milk) and make sure my pee isn't dark.
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon a day sometimes more - I drink it ice cold initially I had to be conscious when I drank and when I wasn't drinking enough (sometimes had a timer on my phone) but eventually I came to crave it. I have a 32 ounce Nalgene water bottle with the wide mouth so I can add lemon but when I first started drinking from a hard plastic cup with a straw helped it go down faster. I also use the "real lime" and "real lemon"
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options

get a fun cup- I have a Dr Who cup that makes me smile every time I fill it up
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I find it works best to regularly chug a glass of water at set intervals. First thing in the morning - chug a glass. When I get to work - chug a glass. When I get up to pee (due to all the water I'm drinking) I chug another one. Same after a workout and after every caffeinated drink I consume. Getting it all down quickly works for me, though I'm sure some people wouldn't like it.
  • cassy_cake
    cassy_cake Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know some force themselves into the habit of drinking a litre first thing when they get up/wake up.
    For me I have filtered water in the fridge and it is far easier to pdrink cold water in the summer, but for me I get bored if i'm drinking out of a glass and use a bottle with a sippy lid because i'm a big kid XD
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have a water drinking app on my phone that sends me reminders. It's based on weight and helps keep me on track throughout the day.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I always to make sure to have water with me.

Starts with this. Then I just make it a habit to take little sips all the time. Amazing how quick it goes when you do that.

• Smurfe04
    Smurfe04 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a hydration app on my phone called Water Drink Reminder that gives me an hourly notification to drink water. It will log my daily consumption and recommended amount based on my weight. I used to keep a cup on my desk but I now get up and walk to the water fountain to consume. This is a way for me to get up fro my desk and get a little more activity in.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    the more you drink water, the more you'll crave water (like others have said). i drink 8 cups of water DURING work, so then anything i drink at home is icing on the cake. go-to rule is that, anytime i'm feeling peckish, i drink water first. my brain is dumb and thinks thirst is hunger. i'm to the point that the only things i enjoy drinking are water and coffee (oh, and wine. can't forget wine ;))
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I do the same things that others have said: I have a cup with a straw at my desk. I fill it at regular intervals - when I arrive for the day, after my first break, after lunch, after my second break and I make sure it's empty before I fill it. It's also a fun cup - there are cute foxes on it - so I love to see it on my desk. I also keep track - every time I fill it, I pop on here and add two cups to my total. That way, I know I've drunk enough.