Waterwaterwater? How do you do it?

Options

Replies

• cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    1/2 - 1 cup of other drinks throughout the day (protein drink in the morning if I miss breakfast, grapefruit juice before every exercise session, I tend to like soy milk with my dinner, etc), and then water for filler throughout the day. It's a lot easier since the temperature jumped so high, but having a bottle of water nearby (usually tap with some lemon wedges) has pretty well replaced my boredom snacking at this point.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about getting in enough water. I never track my water, I just drink water when I'm thirsty and as long as I'm not showing symptoms of dehydration then I know that I'm getting enough water in my diet. You don't just have to drink water to hydrate. You also get water in foods and other drinks count as well. I mostly drink water, but coffee and tea still hydrate you and some foods especially fruits and soups are hydrating as well.
  • jbatinker
    jbatinker Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Cup with a straw at both home and work. I find that is how I can drink the water required.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I keep a 16 oz cup in the bathroom and start my day with that when I take my pills. I also have a 20 oz cup with a straw on my desk that I like to fill at least 4-5 times during the day. I have found that I am craving flavor lately so I tend to brew decaf tea and have some unsweetened tea with lemon for much of the day. I have another 20 oz bottle I use during workouts. I like to drink one during a workout lasting an hour or more and then drink one more after I'm done(I have to stop drinking at least an hour before bed or I'll be up in the bathroom all night, lol).
  • jaedizzle01
    jaedizzle01 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I just make sure that if I feel hungry I drink a glass or 2 of water before I eat. Half the time I don't feel hungry anymore. If my mouth feels dry at all I drink a bottle of water.
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like my Camelbak brand water bottle with a straw... I found that if I have to unscrew a lid or something I don't drink nearly as much. I keep it right beside me, all filled up, and have tried to make it a habit to reach for it every 10-15 minutes. I don't track my water on MFP but I make sure I drink at least one full bottle before lunch and one full bottle after lunch, and then usually one with/after dinner at home. I will brew a cup of tea sometimes if I am bored, but I love water so it's not usually a problem.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I workout at o-dark-thirty 5 days a week, so my ritual is to drink 2 cups of water before I go, 2 cups while working out (at least) and then I drink 2-3 cups of coffee after I get done (that's 7 cups in the first 3 hours that I am awake!). after that, I just drink water whenever I am thirsty (usually over 100 oz a day).
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a reusable water battle where I know if I drink 3 a day it's 9 glasses of water and take it with me everywhere.
  • jdgboxing
    jdgboxing Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just carry a gallon around and take a few drinks now and then, surprisingly around 2-3pm it's all gone. Probably a little extreme though. Not sure if you want to carry around that much water.
  • khaywa12
    khaywa12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Starting first thing in the morning helps. I grab a glass right after I brush my teeth and drink as I'm getting dressed. If I wait until 8 or 9 AM to start drinking, I usually come up short. My goal is a gallon a day. I set intervals for myself to keep me on track (i.e. 24 oz. before I get to work, another 24 before my 1st break, another 24 before lunch). Pacing myself through the day helps me to not end up trying to chug 1/2 a gallon right before bed and getting up to go to the bathroom through the night.
  • jdgboxing
    Options
    khaywa12 wrote: »
    Starting first thing in the morning helps. I grab a glass right after I brush my teeth and drink as I'm getting dressed. If I wait until 8 or 9 AM to start drinking, I usually come up short. My goal is a gallon a day. I set intervals for myself to keep me on track (i.e. 24 oz. before I get to work, another 24 before my 1st break, another 24 before lunch). Pacing myself through the day helps me to not end up trying to chug 1/2 a gallon right before bed and getting up to go to the bathroom through the night.

They also say if you drink a glass of water first thing in the morning it helps speed up the metabolism
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I drink La Croix when I want a fizzy pop. That always gets me by,,
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I throw fruit in it to change it up a bit, or cucumbers, or herbs.
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I shoot for 64oz a day, and I find that I do better with an 8oz glass in front of me that I can finish in two or three helpings than a big water bottle that takes forever to empty. I have a bullet journal which I use daily, and I draw 8 little water droplets near the date and fill them in when I empty a glass. It's small but satisfying, and I get my water in! There is also an app I liked, called "Waterlogged", which I used until I created a habit. When I've assimilated myself to 64oz a day, I'll slowly increase the goal.
  • Domomallow
    Domomallow Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I fill my 20oz water bottle when I get to work in the morning, and drink about 10 oz at a time. When I get up to go pee, I finish whatever is left in the bottle and refill it.
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Technically coffee and tea dehydrate you, because they contain caffeine. They give you the fluid, but the caffeine works as a diuretic and you pee out much of what you've taken in. In the day to day it's not a huge deal, in normal amounts, but if someone is perennially dehydrated, coffee and tea should not be at the top of the list.

I used to work drawing blood and people would always come in saying they were hydrated because they had coffee or tea, and 10:1 their veins were hiding or rolling from dehydration. But you're right about other foods, especially fruit. :smiley:
  • GaGasheesh
    GaGasheesh Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I cut the clock into fourths . . 16 oz by 9 am, another 16 oz by noon, another 16 oz by 3 pm, and last 16 oz by 6 pm. I drink more if I exercise outdoors, and more if I drink during the night.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Most of my water is first run through some ground coffee beans or tea leaves, while hot, before drinking. The rest of it I usually drink with some sort of enhancer like Dasani Drops.

Most days I get in 8-10 cups. Sometimes more in the summer, less in the winter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I carry a 24 oz water bottle with me pretty much everywhere I go...I drink it then refill it, then drink it again...etc, etc, etc. I work at a desk so it just sits here next to me...when I'm thirsty I take a drink.
  • jdgboxing
    Options
    Remember, when it comes to water. The human body's blood has a ph balance of around 7.3ish to around 7.6. It ranges up/ down, but around those numbers. So make sure your drinking water with a ph balance of that or higher. The higher the better. Anything lower than 7 it starts getting pretty acidic, which isn't good for the body.