Waterwaterwater? How do you do it?

Options

Replies

• BewitchedBelinda99
    BewitchedBelinda99 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've changed into really liking water. I freeze mine for a while in a 1 litre bottle. Gorgeous on a summer's day! :)
  • jaedizzle01
    jaedizzle01 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I've heard of getting a Gallon jug and using a sharpie to mark how much they need to drink by a selected time during the day
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have a Venti sized cup by my sink at home so when I'm putting on my make up in the morning, I sip to the 1 cup level. Then, on my way out the door, I make sure I have my 2 cup travel mug and drink that water on my drive to work (about 20 minutes).

Once I get to work, I'll mix some lemon water with regular water in a 3 cup drinking cup and sip on that for a while. If I feel like some peppermint tea, I'll make a 2 cup travel mug of that.

If I work out at lunch, I'll have a bottle of water from the kitchen at work and that's 2 cups.

Usually by the time I get home at 530p.m., I'll have had at least 8 cups of water and the rest is bonus :)

My skin has never looked better (I'm 42) and I feel really good.
  • jdgboxing
    jdgboxing Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've heard of getting a Gallon jug and using a sharpie to mark how much they need to drink by a selected time during the day

Similar to that. I heard of people numbering their water bottles and drinking and "x" amount of numbers by the end of the day. I guess whatever works
  • gbebedoll570
    gbebedoll570 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I drink about 125oz of water everyday.

I know it sounds a lot, but according to different websites I read, it's right for my weight, my physical activities, and my geographical area (I live in the freakin desert, and we're having a major heat wave!!!!).

I have two 64 oz water bottles (that got at Dick's sporting goods). I fill it up in the morning and my goal is to finish both from morning to evening.

When I was starting, I'd drink two cups of water every morning. After I go to the bathroom to pee, I drink water again. I guess since in the beginning my bladder was not used to that much water (since I hated drinking water before) I was constantly in and out of the restroom. And it was also my reminder to drink again. Now that my bladder is used to it, I already have a habit of drinking all the time..

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    @Songbird1104 Coffee and tea are mild diuretics. Unless you are dehydrated they aren't a problem. My point is that you don't need to worry about trying to drink a gallon of water per day. There is no need to force yourself to drink a certain amount of water each day.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I really like experimenting with add-ins for water too. Fresh cucumber, orange, lemon, strawberry, mint. Oh, it's so good! I've heard the mint will help you poo, so that's not too bad either.

I'm also a shameless kitten so I use the fruit in my water as a mid-day snack too. No need to waste perfectly good fruit just because it's been in water. Still tasty, I'm gonna eat it.
  • BlondeTheHardWay
    BlondeTheHardWay Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a 24 oz bottle which goes everywhere with me. I also keep one gallon bottles all over the house. If I need to fill up, it's right there.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I recently put Aqualert on my phone to keep track of my water and I am easily going over the 64 oz it recommends. I have a trenta unsweetened iced green tea from Starbucks every morning, so there is 30-ish ounces right there. Then I drink 1-2 mugs of green tea--8 oz each--I actually measured. Then on the way home from work I fill up the Starbucks cup with water and drink that in the car--another 30-ish oz. Straws are the key for me. And the phone app thing is fun--it fills a bubble with liquid on my phone screen--makes me giggle.
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have 16 oz cup of filtered water (or more) with my morning workout. A 32 oz jug of iced tea made with that same filtered water goes to work with me and comes home empty. And another 16 oz glass of filtered with ice for dinner. There is sometimes additional coffee or tea, but these always happen. I've always been a camel who rarely drank anything at all. It was usually coffee or soda (mostly soda) and I HATED water. Getting a good tabletop filter made a huge difference in my ability to drink it and having something on hand with flavor has made resisting soda possible.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's winter here and I'm struggling to get down 1.5L of water a day, I do however drink lots of milky cups of tea throughout the day, so I'm still getting in fluid.
    I can't drink ice cold water, so I keep mine at room temperature and guzzle as much as I can get down, 2 or 3 times in a row and keep doing that all day. I won't use a straw as I don't want those wrinkles around my mouth that drinking from straws too much can cause.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple of the 32oz Smart Water bottles and refill them at home. I also bought a few with the sport caps because I think that makes it go down faster. Just like I plan meals, I plan water: 1 bottle by 11am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm and 9pm. So that's about 150oz and keeps me full all day long.

Sure, I'm in the bathroom about 25 times a day, but it's a good excuse to get up and move around.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have two going at any one time. One is chilling in the refrigerator.

Sometimes it's plain water.

Then it's flavoured. (Mio, Tea, Biosteel, Crystal Lite, or Diet Pepsi)

When I get bored of that I go back to plain water.

Glass of water when I get up. Morning cup. Afternoon cup. Evening cup. Repeat.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's winter here and I'm struggling to get down 1.5L of water a day, I do however drink lots of milky cups of tea throughout the day, so I'm still getting in fluid.
    I can't drink ice cold water, so I keep mine at room temperature and guzzle as much as I can get down, 2 or 3 times in a row and keep doing that all day. I won't use a straw as I don't want those wrinkles around my mouth that drinking from straws too much can cause.

I'm not the only one! :D Can't stand cold water unless it's a mist after gardening or running in the sun.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    cinnag4225 wrote: »

I'm not the only one! :D Can't stand cold water unless it's a mist after gardening or running in the sun.

LOL Can we say painful teeth and brain freeze :tired_face: I can slowly sip cold/ice water, but i can not swig it down, which is torturous when you're really thirsty!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    i go up and down about water. kind of fall off the wagon sometimes and then i do struggle with it. but when i'm on, it takes a certain amount of focus but the focus is easier to maintain.

creatine has probably made the biggest single difference to my water habits. idek if it improves my strength/stamina, but i don't care. i know it has this effect on my system where the water i drink seems to actually get into my muscles. i can physically tell the difference, and it's really dramatic. it also means i can also tell when i'm dehydrating because my muscles lose that totally-smooth feeling and start getting gritty and twangy again.

so i might skip water but i never skip creatine. i dilute my dose in a 5-cup container, so that's a basic beginning right there at the beginning of every day. technically, my smoothie takes care of the other 3 cups, but i tend not to count that. i think carrying a 3-cup blender bottle around all the time really helps.

the times when i take bcaa's helps as well. i fill the blender bottle and dump my scoop into it . . . most of it sinks to the bottom, so i set myself this game to drink it down to the residue, refill, drink it down . . . it's like a mental game. i don't think of it as 'drink your water'. it's more like 'get your bcaa's', but the special challenge is not to disturb that residue too much with each successive refill.

tbh, it seems like it takes up to 4 litres of water to really make my body feel like it's at its best. i don't always make it but i shoot as high as i can.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of stainless-steel water bottles with the pull-up opening sports top, one about 16oz, the other about 24oz, and I take one with me when I work out, or when I'm away from home for a long-ish time. (I used to take one to work with me & refill it through the day, but I'm retired now. :) ).

I, too, prefer room temperature water, usually.

I drink a 12oz glass after the morning weigh in, with my thyroid meds, and another before I leave the house. With breakfast or lunch, I drink 12oz of cold matcha (which counts for me because it doesn't seem to have any significant diuretic effect), and later (most days) 12oz of iced green tea (ditto). Most days, I drink one of the water bottles while rowing, or at spin class. Then, later in afternoon/evening, I drink another glass or two of water, or maybe some herb tea.

Frankly, I've learned that my system functions poorly on lower amounts of water - digestive system slows down, more likely to get fatigued, headaches become a little more common, among other things. Knowing that helps me make water (or equivalents) a priority.
  • Fluffy2Fit2Shredded
    Fluffy2Fit2Shredded Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Supposedly research says by the time you're thirsty you're already dehydrated. What I've been doing for a few months now is drink a full cup when I first wake up, do my bathroom business, make my quick breakfasts/lunch to go and have an extra cup during am this, take my 24oz blender bottle and that's with me all day. I'm usually done with that by the time I'm at my destination. By that time I'm takin a bathroom break before really starting work. Refill it and take sips throughout till lunch with whatever snacks I brought with me. Before lunch I'll have a full cup or so befor my first bite and drink all throughout so by time my lunch is over I've had another 3 cups. Then repeat from lunch till gymtime. Gym another blender bottle full staying hydrated then repeat before/during dinner and maybe one last cup during finishing up my night with enough time to use bathroom one more time and I slow down so I'm not waking up in the middle of the night 1-2x to pee. I don't firmly clock this but my general practice. Usually if I feel a little hungry I'll drink a few big gulps or a cup or two of water to see if I am truly hungry, sometimes the water will fix it, especially if you're in a calorie deficit to lose fat or cutting. That's what I do!!
  • emeraldprincess71
    emeraldprincess71 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I stopped making a pitcher of iced tea for home so I drink more water there. I keep an insulated tumbler on my desk at work and drink two full tumblers before lunch, fill it again at lunch, then empty it at least once before going home. Also I drink 8-16 ounces before working out and another 16 when I finish. Water with all of my meals. It adds up. I drink one ounce per every two pounds of body weight. It helps that after a few weeks of this I noticed way more bounce in my step.
  • RanaSimon
    RanaSimon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How does everyone get all that water in per day? Best practices and tips? Also, do you have a favorite water bottle or method to drink it?

I bought a plastic VOOS water bottle that I keep at my work desk. It's 28.75 oz, so about 3 cups of water. I drink at least 2 bottles a day and one during a workout after work, or 3 if I know I can't make my training that night. Boom, 8-10 cups a day every day. Weekends are a huge challenge, but I'm getting there.

Frankly, the best advice is don't drink anything else. I don't buy soda except for the husband, I don't buy juices at all. I buy almond milk for my cereal in the mornings and alcohol because I like to enjoy a beer in the evenings once or twice a week. But I account for the beer calories and don't make a point to drink all the time. I just drink my water and enjoy being hydrated. Trust me, once you know what your body feels like hydrated, you won't want to drink anything else anyway. Good luck!