Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Helping with Form

brucealfred3
brucealfred3 Posts: 47 Member
So...I know some people don't like it, sometimes myself included. If I'm working on snatches, I couldn't care less if you think my hip contact sucks. But when you see the "bad" gym people...those who squat by just bending their knees, or do a burpree without even touching the floor. Or those who will hurt themselves...is it wrong to want to help people if it means making them upset? I do crossfit...and form is so important to me, I can't help but cringe or shake my head when I see people do hindering themselves

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I only say something if they're on the verge of hurting themselves. Otherwise it's not really any of my business.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I doubt you are helping at all if you are making them upset.

How do you do a burpee without touching the floor? Flying burpees?
  • brucealfred3
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I only say something if they're on the verge of hurting themselves. Otherwise it's not really any of my business.

But shouldn't we as...people...help each other. It's not like I'm the douche bag who walks around as a no it all...but i genuinely want to help people.
    And as a fellow athlete, I think it's right we should hold each other to a higher standard
  • brucealfred3

I was meaning when people do burpree by just staying in the top part of a push up, and that's it. You're chest is supposed to touch the floor, then come up
  • usmcmp

I was meaning when people do burpree by just staying in the top part of a push up, and that's it. You're chest is supposed to touch the floor, then come up

Maybe they can't do a push up due to an injury.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited June 2016

That actually is a type of burpee. I said the same thing when I first saw it, but a lot of people teach that technique. It is the same concept as knee push ups or kipping pull-ups. It's just a different movement.

The question is whether or not it is a REAL danger to themselves or others. Realizing my limitations, I am disinclined to correct others without substantial knowledge of their specific situation and goals.
  • brucealfred3

It was trained military... But anyway. Those were small examples. Do you help people for their sake? Or leave them alone for yours?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

But shouldn't we as...people...help each other. It's not like I'm the *kitten* who walks around as a no it all...but i genuinely want to help people.
    And as a fellow athlete, I think it's right we should hold each other to a higher standard

i have had people try to correct my form and what htey were telling me was complete BS ...one dude told me that i needed to look straight up when deadlifting...really?

If I want help I will ask for it ...if I see someone at the gym doing something that will hurt them, then I will let them know that their form is off ....

but I don't want every tom, dick, and harry giving me form pointers just because they think they know best...
  • brucealfred3
    This is why i so badly want to become a Crossfit instructor. I love helping people...help themselves
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    This is why i so badly want to become a Crossfit instructor. I love helping people...help themselves

regarding this situation, are you talking about an occurrence at a crossfit box?
  • usmcmp

It was trained military... But anyway. Those were small examples. Do you help people for their sake? Or leave them alone for yours?

I leave them alone because I'm not their trainer and I don't know their training plan or health history. It has nothing to do with "my sake" and everything to do with understanding the full scope of personal training. If you are a certified personal trainer and work for the gym then feel free to speak up to people who are there and might need your help.
  • brucealfred3
    moe0303 wrote: »

regarding this situation, are you talking about an occurrence at a crossfit box?

The crossfit has its one end of a plane hanger (it's huge) and there is a place for military personal to do there "workouts" so...yes and no
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member

But shouldn't we as...people...help each other. It's not like I'm the *kitten* who walks around as a no it all...but i genuinely want to help people.

Most people don't want someone telling them they are screwed up. No matter how polite you put it. Their standard and your standard are going to be very different. Focus on yourself and people who want help will ask you or find help on their own.

Also, there have been times that I was "doing something wrong" or had "bad form" and was told as much. What they didn't know is that there was a reason I was doing what I was doing and I was not wrong. You don't know them, their goals, their training plan. You don't see every workout they do.

^Agree with this. I do burpees without touching my chest to the floor. If I did, my pushups would fail way before the rest of the movement. I do burpees to up the intensity, not to work my chest. Likewise, partial-reps are a legitimate training strategy, for squats or any exercise.

It's one thing to be open and receptive to helping others, but another to go around deciding who the "bad" gym people are based on your personal standards. Seems quite arrogant. Unless you're their trainer or psychic or something, I don't know how you'd know anything about their training or program.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    I've had people tell me good tips on form. I've had people tell me awful ones. I'd rather no one talk to me at all, especially since I don't know your background and credentials and don't know why I should trust your "help." And if you had tried to correct my burpee form, I would have told you to eff off - my trainer gave me a specific way to do them taking my injuries and weaknesses into account.

It's hard to bite my tongue when I see someone doing DLs with a back so rounded I could draw a rainbow on it, but I'm not their trainer and I have no credentials. It's not my place.
  • brucealfred3
    ndj1979 wrote: »

crossfit and form don't always go hand in hand....

Then you dont know what the heck youre talking about Nice try though.
  • brucealfred3
    edited June 2016
    I've had people tell me good tips on form. I've had people tell me awful ones. I'd rather no one talk to me at all, especially since I don't know your background and credentials and don't know why I should trust your "help." And if you had tried to correct my burpee form, I would have told you to eff off - my trainer gave me a specific way to do them taking my injuries and weaknesses into account.

It's hard to bite my tongue when I see someone doing DLs with a back so rounded I could draw a rainbow on it, but I'm not their trainer and I have no credentials. It's not my place.

Deadlifts are so tru
  • brucealfred3
    lemmie177 wrote: »

Most people don't want someone telling them they are screwed up. No matter how polite you put it. Their standard and your standard are going to be very different. Focus on yourself and people who want help will ask you or find help on their own.

Also, there have been times that I was "doing something wrong" or had "bad form" and was told as much. What they didn't know is that there was a reason I was doing what I was doing and I was not wrong. You don't know them, their goals, their training plan. You don't see every workout they do.

^Agree with this. I do burpees without touching my chest to the floor. If I did, my pushups would fail way before the rest of the movement. I do burpees to up the intensity, not to work my chest. Likewise, partial-reps are a legitimate training strategy, for squats or any exercise.

It's one thing to be open and receptive to helping others, but another to go around deciding who the "bad" gym people are based on your personal standards. Seems quite arrogant. Unless you're their trainer or psychic or something, I don't know how you'd know anything about their training or program.

How are partial reps a good excersise strategy? That's ridiculous..."here...do half the work and you'll do fine". Maybe for the people who like not making progress.
  • usmcmp
    lemmie177 wrote: »

How are partial reps a good excersise strategy? That's ridiculous..."here...do half the work and you'll do fine". Maybe for the people who like not making progress.

Partial reps are a training strategy. They help overcome sticking points on an exercise or built up the weaker portion of a lift. It is a training strategy used by many bodybuilders and powerlifters even at the professional levels.