Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Helping with Form

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    I only say something if they're on the verge of hurting themselves. Otherwise it's not really any of my business.

But shouldn't we as...people...help each other. It's not like I'm the *kitten* who walks around as a no it all...but i genuinely want to help people.
    And as a fellow athlete, I think it's right we should hold each other to a higher standard

Most people don't want someone telling them they are screwed up. No matter how polite you put it. Their standard and your standard are going to be very different. Focus on yourself and people who want help will ask you or find help on their own.

Also, there have been times that I was "doing something wrong" or had "bad form" and was told as much. What they didn't know is that there was a reason I was doing what I was doing and I was not wrong. You don't know them, their goals, their training plan. You don't see every workout they do.

^Agree with this. I do burpees without touching my chest to the floor. If I did, my pushups would fail way before the rest of the movement. I do burpees to up the intensity, not to work my chest. Likewise, partial-reps are a legitimate training strategy, for squats or any exercise.

It's one thing to be open and receptive to helping others, but another to go around deciding who the "bad" gym people are based on your personal standards. Seems quite arrogant. Unless you're their trainer or psychic or something, I don't know how you'd know anything about their training or program.

How are partial reps a good excersise strategy? That's ridiculous..."here...do half the work and you'll do fine". Maybe for the people who like not making progress.

Partial reps are a training strategy. They help overcome sticking points on an exercise or built up the weaker portion of a lift. It is a training strategy used by many bodybuilders and powerlifters even at the professional levels.

Partial reps are also a very common in rehab/PT progression.

Ed Coan recently had his hip replaced and posted on IG squats above parallel. Almost all surgeon's THA protocols instruct the patient to not to bend the hip joint past 90 to avoid dislocation. You never know someone in the gym's history. If I saw
    and I didn't know who it was I'd think, "whoa that middle aged dude sure can quarter squat a lot of weight!" It probably wouldn't even occur to me that he was a possible hip replacement patient.

We aren't talking about rehab patients...actual athletes

Like you, right?
  • peppermintmama
    peppermintmama Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i'm over in the fitness and exercise thread begging for critic and help with my form so i would hope someone would correct me at the gym, i would really hate to injure myself and if i am doing an exercise that I've modified i would politely refuse the advice but i workout alone at home so i'm not up to date on proper gym etiquette.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    i'm over in the fitness and exercise thread begging for critic and help with my form so i would hope someone would correct me at the gym, i would really hate to injure myself and if i am doing an exercise that I've modified i would politely refuse the advice but i workout alone at home so i'm not up to date on proper gym etiquette.

@peppermintmama It's understandable that you would want someone to help you, but random people at the gym are not necessarily the best source of information on form and technique. There are many myths that are prevalent and random gym users may do more harm than good. You might want to consider investing in a trainer for a few weeks to help teach you proper form. There are usually many trainers who have private studios, that way you don't have to pay for a gym membership to have access to a trainer. If you live remotely and don't have gyms in the area there are online trainers who can do similar. I also know that the group "Eat Train Progress" on here has some very knowledgeable people who can possibly help you.
  • peppermintmama
    peppermintmama Posts: 30 Member
    Options

@peppermintmama It's understandable that you would want someone to help you, but random people at the gym are not necessarily the best source of information on form and technique. There are many myths that are prevalent and random gym users may do more harm than good. You might want to consider investing in a trainer for a few weeks to help teach you proper form. There are usually many trainers who have private studios, that way you don't have to pay for a gym membership to have access to a trainer. If you live remotely and don't have gyms in the area there are online trainers who can do similar. I also know that the group "Eat Train Progress" on here has some very knowledgeable people who can possibly help you.

thankyou!!! i live in the country so to find a gym that i could attend would be about an hour away and having a infant and a five year old on summer vacation makes it very difficult to travel that far especially since id like to continue working out five days a week. How do i join the group? do i need an invite or just search for it??
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

thankyou!!! i live in the country so to find a gym that i could attend would be about an hour away and having a infant and a five year old on summer vacation makes it very difficult to travel that far especially since id like to continue working out five days a week. How do i join the group? do i need an invite or just search for it??

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This is why i so badly want to become a Crossfit instructor. I love helping people...help themselves

crossfit and form don't always go hand in hand....

Then you dont know what the heck youre talking about Nice try though.

Pretty sure I do...just watch some of them do pull-ups...Kiiping , really???

So from what you watch...you think you know about it all?? That's rich. You see....the only difference in a killing pull up is that you move your legs for momentum...that's not bad form...unless of course you want to do 200 pull ups strict in a competition for time...good luck with that

Kipping pull ups to most lifters is similar to how you feel about partial reps. Kipping removes a significant portion of the work from the back, which is the point of doing a pull up. Many lifters would never do 200 pull ups, they would add weight to ensure they can't do that many. More bang for their buck when it comes to building size and/or strength. This is why I said I would not correct people in the gym, you don't know their training or their goals.

Eh...I don't agree. Just because people can lift heavy things or do intense weighted pull ups....that's not all fitness is about.
    You have to be able to do multiple things...have no weak points. Killing is simply a way at attaching a weak point....funny how those who criticize are those who've never done it. Lipping pull ups it hardly easier...just gives you the speed for high reps

Are you even trying to understand their viewpoint? If you were, you might realize that by saying "killing kipping is a way of attaching attacking a weak point" you're kind of validating what they are saying. Also, kipping itself could be considered a partial rep in preparation for a bar muscle up, which is a functional movement that could save your life one day.

You're talking to people who have a ton of experience. Listen to what they say even of you don't agree with them. You'll be surprised how much you learn.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Leave people alone unless you know them, and have worked out with them. It actually doesn't sound like you want to help people at all, it sounds like you think you know more than everyone else, and you really really want to show that off, you definitely are that Crossfit person that everyone talks about, that can't stop talking about themselves and Crossfit.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    So...I know some people don't like it, sometimes myself included. If I'm working on snatches, I couldn't care less if you think my hip contact sucks. But when you see the "bad" gym people...those who squat by just bending their knees, or do a burpree without even touching the floor. Or those who will hurt themselves...is it wrong to want to help people if it means making them upset? I do crossfit...and form is so important to me, I can't help but cringe or shake my head when I see people do hindering themselves

I would not take kindly to some random person coming over to correct my form, especially if their reason for thinking they are qualified to suggest corrections is "I do crossfit."

Especially if it's a know it all little 18 year old......
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    This is why i so badly want to become a Crossfit instructor. I love helping people...help themselves

So from what you watch...you think you know about it all?? That's rich. You see....the only difference in a killing pull up is that you move your legs for momentum...that's not bad form...unless of course you want to do 200 pull ups strict in a competition for time...good luck with that

Kipping pull ups to most lifters is similar to how you feel about partial reps. Kipping removes a significant portion of the work from the back, which is the point of doing a pull up. Many lifters would never do 200 pull ups, they would add weight to ensure they can't do that many. More bang for their buck when it comes to building size and/or strength. This is why I said I would not correct people in the gym, you don't know their training or their goals.

Eh...I don't agree. Just because people can lift heavy things or do intense weighted pull ups....that's not all fitness is about.
    You have to be able to do multiple things...have no weak points. Killing is simply a way at attaching a weak point....funny how those who criticize are those who've never done it. Lipping pull ups it hardly easier...just gives you the speed for high reps

who is stronger the person doing 20 pullups with almost perfect form, or the clown doing 200 kipping pull ups?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone, and my form is probably never obviously bad, but I like corrections, including very subtle ones, from a knowledgeable person. I like getting more out of my workout, and I'm used to having my form corrected, from studying dance.

It does open you up to judgment though. I've had my form critiqued by people who didn't know what they were doing. I just thank them and do my thing, but that might not be everyone's response.
  • brucealfred3
    brucealfred3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So...I know some people don't like it, sometimes myself included. If I'm working on snatches, I couldn't care less if you think my hip contact sucks. But when you see the "bad" gym people...those who squat by just bending their knees, or do a burpree without even touching the floor. Or those who will hurt themselves...is it wrong to want to help people if it means making them upset? I do crossfit...and form is so important to me, I can't help but cringe or shake my head when I see people do hindering themselves

I would not take kindly to some random person coming over to correct my form, especially if their reason for thinking they are qualified to suggest corrections is "I do crossfit."

That's not why I would do it...that has nothing to do with it...buts it's good to know how you feel
  • brucealfred3
    brucealfred3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

who is stronger the person doing 20 pullups with almost perfect form, or the clown doing 200 kipping pull ups?

Let's just play it safe....and say not you
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

That's not why I would do it...that has nothing to do with it...buts it's good to know how you feel

You say right in your post: "I do crossfit...and form is so important to me, I can't help but cringe or shake my head when I see people do hindering themselves"

You aren't helping anyone by arbitrarily deciding that you have a right to determine what is or is not an appropriate exercise for them or way of performing a movement based on what amounts to "I workout." You don't have any qualifications or expertise outside your own belief that you are qualified, and your advice could result in someone getting seriously injured.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

You have to be able to do multiple things...have no weak points.
    Killing is simply a way at attaching a weak point....funny how those who criticize are those who've never done it. Lipping pull ups it hardly easier...just gives you the speed for high reps

So I should be able to run an ultramarathon and deadlift 500 lbs and sprint up mountains on a bike and do the splits while suspending myself off a pole? Cool, I'll get right on that.

People have different fitness goals. They train for them differently. If you want to excel in one area, you're not going to be super awesome in others. You will have weak points. Some people would rather be at the top of their class in one specific area than be a jack of all trades but master of none. Have some respect for that.

Either be Captain America or just another pretender.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I had to look up a kipping pullup. What the what? Lotta flappin' going on.

"Crossfit takes complicated movements and gets rid of all the useless [crap] like effectiveness and safety and replaces it with cool [crap] like violence and danger. Case in point: the kipping pullup. Crossfit has revolutionized fitness by teaching the correct way to do an incorrect pullup."

"Crossfit is...intense athletic training for the professional non-athlete. This is good for sports like...running your mouth about how awesome crossfit is."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnjYyfkcaNI