13»

Replies

• Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »
    That my safety isn't important.

I got hit by a car going 35 mph when the driver ran a red light, I was on my bike at the time and the car hit me from behind. I was taken to the emergency room and only allowed to go home the next evening. All the guns and knives wouldn't have kept me safe. They make a radar thing for bikes that would have at least given me a chance.

I'm sorry that person went after you.

Sorry not seeing the comparison. Clarify please. How is stopping someone who wants to hurt me and a radar that helps stop idiots from running lights comparable.

• bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Gosh I'm not sure. Frankly it's hard to imagine that. And kinda scary because there are a lot of sick people here who don't think I should own one. That my safety isn't important.
    I guess I would go for a big walking stick. Or my pocket knife. Stun guns are illegal in my city.
    Dog would discourage someone but I've met people where that didn't help them. Though their dogs were friendly to everyone. Mine not so much.
    I've had a 6'3 man come towards me with a hatchet. We pulled a gun and he dropped it. I don't know if I would be here to even think about it. Maybe he didn't think about how it looked and he meant no harm. Our 30 or so minutes dealing with him says it probably wouldn't have gone so smoothly. I don't know how I would handle that situation with out a gun. Some of the positions my friends and family have been in either. One raped, one attempted rape(the guys friends pulled him off of my friend and yelled run), another friend drugged through her house being beaten. SCARY as *kitten* imagining not having a gun to maybe be able to stop it.

OMG where do you live?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm in the UK, no guns, stunguns or knives (legally) for us. Sometimes not sure if that's a good thing or not......
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    We're talking about leaving the house and feeling safe. My opinion is that the best way to be as safe as possible is to use your brain, including to have some idea what you need to protect yourself from, put your effort where it does the most good. If you're a typical American, you're twice as likely to die in a car accident than in a murder.

The driver didn't really go after me, they just made a stupid mistake that had severe consequences for me. It was awful, but not deliberate, no hate involved. Poop just happens sometimes. :disappointed: You do your best to avoid it, nobody knows your situation better than you do, etc, etc, sometimes it still goes south.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Consider borrowing a dog. Especially from an elder, busy or injured person. People won't attack you even with a chihuahua because they bark a warning. The dog and owner will love you for it. It also makes the walks more fun. I walk puppy 3 miles daily.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    bramble345 wrote: »
    Gosh I'm not sure. Frankly it's hard to imagine that. And kinda scary because there are a lot of sick people here who don't think I should own one. That my safety isn't important.
    I guess I would go for a big walking stick. Or my pocket knife. Stun guns are illegal in my city.
    Dog would discourage someone but I've met people where that didn't help them. Though their dogs were friendly to everyone. Mine not so much.
    I've had a 6'3 man come towards me with a hatchet. We pulled a gun and he dropped it. I don't know if I would be here to even think about it. Maybe he didn't think about how it looked and he meant no harm. Our 30 or so minutes dealing with him says it probably wouldn't have gone so smoothly. I don't know how I would handle that situation with out a gun. Some of the positions my friends and family have been in either. One raped, one attempted rape(the guys friends pulled him off of my friend and yelled run), another friend drugged through her house being beaten. SCARY as *kitten* imagining not having a gun to maybe be able to stop it.

I'm in the UK, no guns, stunguns or knives (legally) for us. Sometimes not sure if that's a good thing or not......

It's hard to relate too, right? The UK and Australia have similar weapons laws.
  • bramble345
    Options

It's hard to relate too, right? The UK and Australia have similar weapons laws.

Tell me about it! The Americans are talking about carrying firearms in public and yet I'd be deep in it if I kept a bat or bladed weapon with the intent to use for self defence in my own house. I remember when some friends in the US military were based here and how repeatedly they were told NOT to take guns home if they lived off base, different culture.
  • Owlie45
    Options

Beautiful whatcom County in Washington state.
    There are many lovely people here. It's just you don't know.
    We had a homeless guy slit the throat of a woman after she told him about her life because he thought she should be put out of her misery.
    A guy was just arrested the other day for kidnap and raping girls.
    When my mom was young she hung out with this guy for a long time. He even used to stay the night. Many years later. An old friend saw my mom and asked if the fbi had been in contact. That man she used to hang out with, serial rapest.
    My mom's old friends dad, rapist. Even went back to the victim thinking she didn't see him, pretended to be her savior. She played along until the cops came.
    A woman was raped when I was in my teens and she managed to yell help. Guess who came? Help? Nope some guy who wanted a turn.
    I live in what forensics call serial killer central. My high school forensic teacher was very popular at the body farm because of this.
    My hair dresser friends? The husband turned out to be killing people.

There's nothing anyone can say that would make me look at guns differently.
  • bramble345
    Options

We had a homeless guy slit the throat of a woman after she told him about her life because he thought she should be put out of her misery.
    When my mom was young she hung out with this guy for a long time. He even used to stay the night. Many years later. An old friend saw my mom and asked if the fbi had been in contact. That man she used to hang out with, serial rapest.
    My mom's old friends dad, rapist. Even went back to the victim thinking she didn't see him, pretended to be her savior. She played along until the cops came.
    A woman was raped when I was in my teens and she managed to yell help. Guess who came? Help? Nope some guy who wanted a turn.
    I live in what forensics call serial killer central. My high school forensic teacher was very popular at the body farm because of this.

Can certainly see where you're coming from! If we had the option legally I would probably carry a gun but it would be so i could defend against others doing the same.

To put the difference into context....

-I've never fired a gun, I have no deep objection the opportunity has just never arisen
    -My brother worked in a gunsmiths for years, they dealt with shotguns for vermin control and game hunting
    -My dad did a stint on an armed response unit (police all his working life, UK police not routinely carrying guns) my mum was a nervous wreck waiting for him to get home, didnt worry when he was working unarmed except for trunchion!
    -My brother does reenactment using black powder flintlocks....which need to be locked away in cabinets and NEVER fire missiles

I suspect this is a quiet cultural difference that runs deep......

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Can certainly see where you're coming from! If we had the option legally I would probably carry a gun but it would be so i could defend against others doing the same.

-I've never fired a gun, I have no deep objection the opportunity has just never arisen
    -My brother worked in a gunsmiths for years, they dealt with shotguns for vermin control and game hunting
    -My dad did a stint on an armed response unit (police all his working life, UK police not routinely carrying guns) my mum was a nervous wreck waiting for him to get home, didnt worry when he was working unarmed except for trunchion!
    -My brother does reenactment using black powder flintlocks....which need to be locked away in cabinets and NEVER fire missiles

That's one thing that has always amazed me, that cops don't carry guns in the UK. I guess that's probably the only difference between us and you, as all our Police are armed, but it is very, very rare that we ever hear of a shooting by a cop, because citizens here aren't allowed to carry guns, our cops don't really have a need to draw their guns.
  • Owlie45
    Options

Very different.
    We grew up shooting at a very young age. I think my nephews first time was shortly after his 4th birthday. I wanna say an AR. When we were real young guns were locked up and only taken out when working with them or the night before hunting. And we had it beat into us to not touch. As we got older guns weren't locked up as much or at least not all of them. Though we all knew where the key was. Then we were allowed to move if they were in the way. By then we had taken a safety class. By late high school my brother and his friends would take guns up hunting before school started.
    We were taught how to use the single shot for house protection after we had a neighbor have to physically shove a drunk college guy out of her house. He didn't live there and she wasn't throwing a party.
    My uncle worked at a gun smith for a long time so him and my grandpa had a large collection of guns. For a while he had an entire room full of guns.
    Now in our 20's we we all open or conceal carry.
    I have friend whose never shot anything other than a bb gun. I plan on taking her up in the hills for her first time. Her boyfriends goes shooting so she's interested in what it's like.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Ok the talk of guns, knives pepper spray is just scary...

I do none of that (and it's not legal where I live)

The one time I was approached by a couple of youth-one on a bike-walking home at 10pm from a store-well lit, 4 lane road-I swung my grocery bag hard at the youth who came up on his bike right beside me- He exclaimed in surprise-it missed him-and took off. I may have white hair but I ain't no granny. And that is the only time I have been scared.

Now I'm late 50s so that is a lot of years. sometimes I walk with friends, sometimes I borrow a dog, but I am often out on my own.