Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ketogenic Thoughts

AbbyGary
AbbyGary Posts: 12 Member
I really need to get my weight back under control. Thoughts on the ketogenic diet?

Replies

• jESsIcA717end
    jESsIcA717end Posts: 1 Member
    I am on day 3 of the keto diet. Today I am really feeling the effects of low/no carbs. Foggy headed, irritable, little energy and a little dizzy. I read that this will pass in a few days, and to stay hydrated and replace electrolytes is key. Ironically I also read to eat fatty foods like cheeses, steak, nuts, Avacado.....I am excited for my body to transition to adjusting to no carbs! I'm hoping I get more energy back to exercise more after I am no longer in the keto flu phase! Good luck
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    I love beans, lentils, qunioa, and barley too much to ever go low carb. Fiber keeps me full.
    A trick of mine is avoiding the junk foods. Easier than keto.
    Try going a month without highly processed boxed foods, fast food, and things with added sugar.
  • littlebritttfit
    littlebritttfit Posts: 72 Member
    i'm currently doing Keto. i really, really like it. i'm a serious carb lover, but i'm on week 2 of it and i'm already seeing better results. the icky feelings WILL pass, just listen to your body and adjust accordingly.
  • kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Try reading "Keto Clarity" by Jimmy Moore & Eric C Westman, MD. It is probably available through a library. Or listen to one of Jimmy Moore's podcasts, such as "Keto Talk With Jimmy Moore & The Doc". I am suggesting this since every one is different and has different objectives.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited June 2016
    I follow a low carb diet and allow myself a cheat meal every once in awhile. I like it a lot because I don't find I'm missing out on anything *most* of the time. I get plenty of veggies with olive oil or butter, I can eat hamburgers, meatballs, sausages, eggs and bacon, and of course salads. I can still have ice cream as long as it's a low carb version. If I could muster the effort to make cheesecake I could make my own low carb pumpkin cheesecake :)

The diet doesn't feel like a diet, you won't be hungry and it's easy to follow but I definitely find myself missing/craving carbs during that TOM which is why I allow myself to have a cheat meal on some weekends. It's also the reason for my stall though so I don't recommend cheating often, especially in keto, you'll get knocked out of ketosis and no one wants that.

There's no harm in trying it for a month and see how you do, if it's too hard on you can always try something else by either upping your carbs for a bit or a different diet altogether.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    in my opinion you should never restrict any of the macronutrients as it's not sustainable long-term. My main reasons for eating carbohydrates are: carbs are protein sparing and as a vegetarian this is super important for me, carbohydrates are often found in the highest micronutrient dense foods, carbohydrates make me feel my best in both energy and mental health, and lastly pasta.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    It would not be fun for me...I love beans and lentils too much and I enjoy eating fruit.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I tried it and it was painful! More power to you, if you like it!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    AbbyGary wrote: »
    I really need to get my weight back under control. Thoughts on the ketogenic diet?

it is totally unnecessary for weight loss and you can accomplish the same with a calorie deficit and restricted no whole food group ...
  • forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    edited June 2016
    Several posters have mentioned the need to take in additional sodium and potassium to avoid the "carb flu".

The kidneys are very good (in the absence of disease or trauma) at maintaining potassium and sodium levels as these are critical electrolytes (as low/high levels can cause coma and/or cardiac arrest). With most diets, the body is still able to regulate these to safe levels.

I think (since you asked) any diet that can put you into a critical level state unless you purposely ingest additional salt or potassium is suspect.
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Try reading "Keto Clarity" by Jimmy Moore & Eric C Westman, MD. It is probably available through a library. Or listen to one of Jimmy Moore's podcasts, such as "Keto Talk With Jimmy Moore & The Doc". I am suggesting this since every one is different and has different objectives.

You should definitely have a book for guidance and knowledge. The art and science of a low-carb lifestyle is really the original Ketogenic book. It a little heavy read because 2 research scientist wrote it. Keto clarity is another great choice. If you try to do it off rumor and inuindo you may be led down the wrong path.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

it is totally unnecessary for weight loss and you can accomplish the same with a calorie deficit and restricted no whole food group ...

You are right for people without insulin resistance. If you are insulin resistant eating high carbs and trying to losell weight is like peeing in the wind.

no where did OP indicate she has a medical condition....
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member

You are right for people without insulin resistance. If you are insulin resistant eating high carbs and trying to losell weight is like peeing in the wind.

if you have a medical condition like insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. please see a registered dietitian.

Otherwise, do not make recommendations to restrict an entire food group off of assumptions.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited June 2016

Why would anyone take diet advice from that fat *kitten*?

2007: Jimmy gets to 248, goes on Kimkins, loses 35 or so pounds. Generates a lot of publicity, rakes in a lot of money.
    2010: Jimmy gets to 280, goes on an eggfast -- nothing but eggs and coconut oil and butter for a month. He reported a partial cholesterol profile at that time. Not good.
    2011: Jimmy gets to 290, goes on a beef, egg and CO "challenge" that quickly morphs to a BECO + chocolate diet.
    2011: After falling off that diet he fasts for 6 days and reaches his pre-KK weight of 248. This sets him up to regain and he is up to 285 by year's end
    2012: Jimmy tops 300 lbs and goes on "nutritional ketosis" experiment for one year.

http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2014/04/jimmy-moore-low-carb-asset-or-liability.html?m=1
  • AbbyGary
    AbbyGary Posts: 12 Member
    I have PCOS, Hypothyroidism, and Insulin Resistance