GOT: Why do people hate Sansa?

Options

Replies

• highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If you've read all the books, you might suspect that Sansa is being positioned to become a major player. Her character is developing in an interesting way.

^^ This
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I reallllllly disliked reading Sansa's chapters before I got to A Storm of Swords. She was just so vapid and I just really really wanted her to punch Joffrey in the d***, or stand up for herself, or anything. I know I know I know she was doing what she had to do to stay alive, and she's not even a teenager yet, but it was so frustrating! Especially when you have awesome female characters like Arya doing exactly the opposite Sansa.

It also drove me nuts that she was 11 and so in love with Joffrey. I realize they're in a different world and they get married very young, but her preoccupation with knights and true love and fairytales just made me crazy.

But at least her chapters weren't as bad as Catelyn's. I would put down the book every time I came to one of those.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    There are people who don't hate Sansa?! :noway:

ETA the smiley
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Because they have way too much time on their hands. It's a book/show. Get a life.

The board is "Chit- Chat, Fun, and Games"...... completely unwarranted response.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Because they have way too much time on their hands. It's a book/show. Get a life.

You have "Two dogs, three cats, a rabbit, three birds, many fish, and a ferret, don't work" and people who enjoy reading and talking about books have too much time on their hands and need to get a life? :huh:
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    (Glad no one's brought Cersei up yet... I could write forever on her).

I want to hate her, but Martin puts just that touch of humanity and sympathy into her. Just enough.

Same with Theon. Just that touch, though he's less likeable in the books so far than in the show. Credit to the acting on that one!

Ugh, wait until Cersei's chapters in book 4. My boyfriend thinks A Feast for Crows should have just been called Cersei's Moonblood. She's crazy.
  • tlmcint
    tlmcint Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sansa is basically to me a "nothing" character. She does nothing except be mousey. She doesn't seem to want to better her circumstances enough to start doing anything.... Look at Margery, she knows how to use her power and does so. Sansa has power, potential power as both a beautiful female and the "key to the North".. She needs to learn to use it and quit being bland and nothing. Arya is younger than Sansa and yet fights.. fights.... fights..... and Arya seems smarter also.. sansa comes across as dull-witted.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

tumblr_inline_mhkxbbORX31qz4rgp_zps8e0944ab.gif

I hope
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

You have "Two dogs, three cats, a rabbit, three birds, many fish, and a ferret, don't work" and people who enjoy reading and talking about books have too much time on their hands and need to get a life? :huh:
    ^^^ this
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    What book/ T.V. series is this? It sounds interesting.
    Game of Thrones is the series and the first book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Thank you for telling me.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I've watched the show more than I have read the books.. While I disliked Sansa for not standing up for her sister initially (thus resulting in Lady being killed)... I am really starting to turn around on her (but then I'm also changing my opinion slightly about Jamie as well)... I don't think she loves the Lannisters or even wants to be a part of their family at all... In the show she was relieved when she didn't have to marry Joffry anymore (whom I can't wait to watch die btw), hell in the tv series (didn't get this far in the books, yet, so I don't know if she did this there) she was trying to hide that she had her period so she could postpone the wedding farther... I wouldn't say I love her though.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I hate Sansa in the TV show, not so much in the book. I think everything she does she does out of fear, not because she agrees with the Lannisters, but because she watched her father die labeled a traiter and she's terrified they will do that to her.

She's far from my favorite character, and I find her boring, but I don't hate her.

I'm just now reading book 4, A Feast for Crows, and watching Cersei go off the deep end is just awesome!
  • crystalmoore83
    Options
    I've watched the show more than I have read the books.. While I disliked Sansa for not standing up for her sister initially (thus resulting in Lady being killed)... I am really starting to turn around on her (but then I'm also changing my opinion slightly about Jamie as well)... I don't think she loves the Lannisters or even wants to be a part of their family at all... In the show she was relieved when she didn't have to marry Joffry anymore (whom I can't wait to watch die btw)... I wouldn't say I love her though.
    I agree, I neither love nor hate her...but her character has been getting more interesting, I am about 200 pages in to a dance with dragons and I am curious to see how she will develop considering she is being groomed by some one who is very good at the game of thrones...and hate to say it but joffrey's death is a bit disappointing, at least it was for me I personally feel he should have suffered more
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    I've watched the show more than I have read the books.. While I disliked Sansa for not standing up for her sister initially (thus resulting in Lady being killed)... I am really starting to turn around on her (but then I'm also changing my opinion slightly about Jamie as well)... I don't think she loves the Lannisters or even wants to be a part of their family at all... In the show she was relieved when she didn't have to marry Joffry anymore (whom I can't wait to watch die btw)... I wouldn't say I love her though.
    I agree, I neither love nor hate her...but her character has been getting more interesting, I am about 200 pages in to a dance with dragons and I am curious to see how she will develop considering she is being groomed by some one who is very good at the game of thrones...and hate to say it but joffrey's death is a bit disappointing, at least it was for me I personally feel he should have suffered more

^^I shouldn't have read that! SPOLIER ALERT!!!

Can we not post about things that haven't happened on the show yet? Some of us are trying to catch up on the books...whaaaa :noway:
  • crystalmoore83
    Options
    lol sorry...I tried to keep it as spoiler free as I could and leave the major details out :frown:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

There are animals in this book! I'd bet you'd like it!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

There are animals in this book! I'd bet you'd like it!

:laugh:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    super geeky of me that i'm stoked i can follow this entire thread lmao...i freakin' love GoT, but have never watched the show. In my opinion where you guys are at (I've read them all and waiting for the next installment), i believed that Sansa was at the apex of her childhood. She was about to learn the hard way that things aren't all princes and roses. What you're seeing now is the fall of her innocence and how she deals with it. Keep reading, you won't hate her so much when you discover how strong she actually is.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Because I would argue that Ned Stark's death is her fault. Yes, Ned does question Joffrey's birth but it is Sansa's request for mercy that pushes Joffrey to kill him because he's a little prick. I do kinda feel bad for her but she was never really one of my favorites to start with. I've always liked Arya better. I've only watched the HBO series so I don't know how it goes in the books. :P
    That isn't her fault. How could she possibly have known?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In the book i do not see a 180. I see her believe the Lannisters and she does say what she needs to survive. I am 3/4 the way through book 2 right now. She is just now deciding she was to get away and no marry joffery. But until not too long ago she still wanted to marry him thinking he would change once they were married. Very naive.

What are you reading? She wants to not marry Joffrey immediately after he kills her father. That gets established in book 1.

I can go ahead and start posting quote from the book. She does not hate Joffery right after ned is killed. she believes the lannisters that he was a traitor.
    I'm pretty sure you and I are not reading the same books.

want me to post a photo of the cover of book 2?

You may be reading the books but your memory has failed you on this one. Joffrey agrees to show mercy if Sansa writes letters to her family condemning her father and asking them to fall in line. She doesn't believe her father to be guilty - she just agrees to write the letters so they won't kill him. Then Joffrey kills him anyway, Sansa stays in her tower crying and sleeping for awhile, and when Joffrey shows up to tell her to get out of bed and attend to him at court, she begs him to just let her go home to her family. When Joffrey says they're still to be married, Sansa wails that she doesn't want to marry him and that she hates him. Then he has his guard hit her. From that point forward, everything she says and does to prevent being beaten.
    She also considers pushing him off the bridge to his death, even if she has to kill herself to do it. And she may have if The Hound hadn't stepped between them.