Do you judge people on appearance?

Options
kate141987
kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
I used to do this a lot probably most of the time not even realising I was doing it
But I now actively try not to do this, but I still do it now and again.
Is it ever ok?

Replies

• kate141987
    Options
    Scottish pants lol
    Yeah I suppose appearance is a pretty personal thing, some people care some people don't but it can cause worry cos a lot of people get judged on it
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    I used to do this a lot probably most of the time not even realising I was doing it
    But I now actively try not to do this, but I still do it now and again.
    Is it ever ok?
    It's never okay to judge people based on appearance, scottish pants. You don't know what tribulations they are going through. Some people don't have the resources to display nice things. Good human beings act normal without any sense of superiority.

Job interviews, dress codes, public safety etc laws, finding a suitable companion -- your judgement is always at work; it's not always negative, it can help you navigate. Not all judgement is superficial and ego-based.
    That is not what she asked. Say you went to the mall or drove by the Hibatchi buffet.... and you judge people on their appearance in public settings.

Of course, you can't go to a job interview in a leather biker jacket :D

That was in response to you. "That it is never ok"
  • kate141987
    Options
    I'm just meaning in general, but at job interviews the judgement is more intense so I suppose in those circumstances we all have to admit we are judged on appearance, age etc
  • kate141987
    Options
    Iv probably been a kitten in the past about it, but try my best not to do that anymore and see people as people not just the book cover but it can be difficult at times I'm still slightly conflicted over it.
    I guess I have judged people based on looks as in another female who is much prettier than me, il automatically think she loves herself lol and form a negative opinion but I guess that's more a reflection on me than anything else.
    But personality can sometimes be evident in someone's appearance, sometimes
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Louise1491 wrote: »
    Just try to remember that if you judge a book by its cover you might just miss out on a good story, and if the story isn't to your taste, shut the book and move on with your own journey and let them get on with theirs. I think everyone has their own *kitten* to deal with.
    But I've been there, hating on othets through my own insecurities but it's not helpful, just creates more hate and this world needs no more of that. :)

I'm dyslexic so it's easier for me to judge the book by its cover than it is to read it.
  • kate141987
    Options
    Just try to remember that if you judge a book by its cover you might just miss out on a good story, and if the story isn't to your taste, shut the book and move on with your own journey and let them get on with theirs. I think everyone has their own *kitten* to deal with.
    But I've been there, hating on othets through my own insecurities but it's not helpful, just creates more hate and this world needs no more of that. :)

So true :smile:
  • kate141987
    Options
    Brilliant advert @Louise1491
    This kinda thing has happened to me at festivals etc, when your in the portaloo (sorry know it's gross) lol and you spend ages talking with the person next door and when you see each other it's like a shock almost
    Definitely something to be said for getting to know someone based on everything except looks
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Everyone judges others on appearance at some point, It's normal human behaviour. As long as you are not judging them solely on appearance then I wouldn't worry about it.

^^This.

It's human nature, a survival tactic which is no longer as relevant to us but that we can't stop.
  • kate141987
    Options
    Yeah I was reading something to do with this it said, judgement is natural but it's not final. You can chose to give someone a chance even if your first judgement was negative, makes sense
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Definitely, I just judged everyone posting in here.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Please be a 10 *fingers Crossed*

• kate141987
    Options
    I met this girl she was like 25/26 and she had this horrible big scar down her face. A guy had slashed her during a fight and I could see how badly it affected her, she was struggling to get a job and had all but given up. I felt really bad for her and could see how much it had affected her life. Got me thinking how society looks upon things like that, it's sad really and makes me grateful I don't have any problems like that
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    I'll admit im judgmental on behavior and attitude and I'm also stereotypical but I don't judge someone based on their appearance it's deceiving if that makes sense

I 'kinda/sorta' do this too, well not the stereotyping. I judge plenty of people on MFP for excessive sh!tt they do and its NOT just the selfie thread. I refrain from calling folks out on it A LOT because I don't want to cause conflict or hurt peoples feelings so I "bite my tongue". I'm sure I'm judged too but as most posters have said, everyone judges for one thing or another. B)
  • jaedizzle01
    jaedizzle01 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I think in some situations it may be acceptable.