Do you judge people on appearance?

Options

Replies

• lilbitmeme
    lilbitmeme Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I believe it is human nature on some level judge but I would not say that in a bad way. We are naturally attracted to certain types of bodies, eyes etc but as for deciding if someone is a good person based on their looks is pretty much BS.
    I have found that women who put other women down are more often then not unhappy with how they personal look or feel about themselves. It is sad.
    In the line of work I do I should fit into a very cookie cutter look of pure professionalism so when people see me in real life and see that I have a lot of tattoos and love my ball caps and they are just shocked I ask them "Where you happy with my service? Does this change how good I am at my job?" The answer is always no. My looks have nothing to do with my abilities
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    If y choose not to trust your better judgment sooner or later you will regret it...
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think we all judge people based on appearance, sex, stature, etc. I think if you are mindful that you do and easily allow your assumptions to be disproven, then you are ahead of a lot of people.
    I always try to check myself on this because I hate that people do the same to me. I hate that I can be treated incredibly differently based on my hair, makeup, clothes and whether or not I put on glasses.
  • kate141987
    kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    I used to do this a lot probably most of the time not even realising I was doing it
    But I now actively try not to do this, but I still do it now and again.
    Is it ever ok?

of course I do not seeing people and assessing them in some way is like asking people to walk around without eyes and brains

I'm not suggesting you should walk around and not assess people of course you should but what I'm talking about is how much gravity should you give to your opinion based on appearance, or first appearances. I know almost everyone does it
  • kate141987
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    I think we all judge people based on appearance, sex, stature, etc. I think if you are mindful that you do and easily allow your assumptions to be disproven, then you are ahead of a lot of people.
    I always try to check myself on this because I hate that people do the same to me. I hate that I can be treated incredibly differently based on my hair, makeup, clothes and whether or not I put on glasses.

Iv definitely noticed this, I was always dying my hair blonde most of my life but when I switched to brunette I noticed a change in how people treated me lol
    Then when I had to start wearing glasses I personally felt more intelligent lol but iv never got used to wearing them, I just can't get used to them, think I may start though when at my next job interview, give off the impression I'm smarter than I really am lol
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    By definition, my heuristic brain has judged every person I have ever seen ever. What my rational, thinking brain chooses to do with that judgment is another story.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    First impressions are judged on appearance often I'd say

Heck I knew this guy who appeared the perfect family man and then the next week went out and killed a guy. Or another who was playing with babies at a party and had just gotten out of jail for beating up a cab driver.

My point is it's not worth judging on appearance cause it's often not accurate.
  • kate141987
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    aub6689 wrote: »

Iv definitely noticed this, I was always dying my hair blonde most of my life but when I switched to brunette I noticed a change in how people treated me lol
    Then when I had to start wearing glasses I personally felt more intelligent lol but iv never got used to wearing them, I just can't get used to them, think I may start though when at my next job interview, give off the impression I'm smarter than I really am lol

anyone on this site who's lost a lot of weight can tell you about the weird combination of sadness and confidence you feel when people treat you so much better after

Yeah it's weird
    When I used to be a little depressed, OK a lot depressed and didn't care how I looked, or more to the point didn't have the capability to care people treated me a lot different to when I felt better and cared. I guess appearance can be part of your armoury in a lot of situations
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I want the Crown after judgement. o:)B)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    At a certain level, yup. People look and dress a certain way and it can indicate things about them. But that does not translate to how you treat them or who they really are personally.
  • kate141987
    Options
    w03neaum63sx.jpeg

Somedays I just opt for a full suit
    There, judge me now lol
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    At a certain level, yup. People look and dress a certain way and it can indicate things about them. But that does not translate to how you treat them or who they really are personally.

I wish people would treat me based on how I dress. Maybe they'd get the hint that I'm not a sociable person in person.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »

I wish people would treat me based on how I dress. Maybe they'd get the hint that I'm not a sociable person in person.

good point, many people absolutely want you to judge them by their appearance. They make an effort to make a certain kind of impression. They even get disappointed if you don't acknowledge it.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • idrinkalotofwater
    idrinkalotofwater Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't care enough to really pay attention to strangers and judge them, etc
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    Yes. That's why people watching is one of my favorite activities.
    I judged a lady at the Walmarts yesterday who wasn't wearing a bra. And another person for wearing beige colored leggings.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »

Are you in a box? Kidding. But good point, many people absolutely want you to judge them by their appearance. They make an effort to make a certain kind of impression. They even get disappointed if you don't pick up on it.

I'm extremely introverted. Online, I'm as social as can be, but in public, I want to hulk smash things after about 5 minutes. Hoping I could convey this to the general public, most of my wardrobe consists of shirts like these, outside of a few sports related t-shirts....

xynwjlidpfs2.jpg

5zmhrs3t1eer.jpg

I even have one that says, "Do I look like a people person?" To which people think it's cute to talk to me and answer the shirt.

6xdunb3wqb8j.jpg