Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Forbidden vs not wanting

Options

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    1. Forbidden foods = foods I want but am denying myself = causes lots of effort and misery on my part.
    2. Not wanting foods= foods I don't want= no effort at all to avoid, easy.
    Two different things, imo.

You see so many people spouting that nothing is forbidden & no foods should be excluded.
    This comes into play when people say they are miserable because of #1. It has nothing at all to do with #2.

Seems you're jumping to conclusions with #1. Just because you want something, but choose to deny yourself that thing, doesn't necessarily equal lots of effort and misery. Maybe it's hard at first (cutting back on portions is hard at first too!), but if you find that after you haven't had it in a while, you no longer feel so strongly about it, that means it takes less and less effort to not have it. Not everyone ends up there, but some of us do. I used to love bread, especially freshly baked, hommade bread. I stopped eating it, missed it for a while, then after a while I didn't care. I won't say I don't like it anymore, but I don't want it nearly as much and it doesn't take any effort, and certainly no misery, to avoid eating it.

I missed where I was asking for advice.

I missed where I gave you any advice.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    1. Forbidden foods = foods I want but am denying myself = causes lots of effort and misery on my part.

You see so many people spouting that nothing is forbidden & no foods should be excluded.
    This comes into play when people say they are miserable because of #1. It has nothing at all to do with #2.

Seems you're jumping to conclusions with #1. Just because you want something, but choose to deny yourself that thing, doesn't necessarily equal lots of effort and misery. Maybe it's hard at first (cutting back on portions is hard at first too!), but if you find that after you haven't had it in a while, you no longer feel so strongly about it, that means it takes less and less effort to not have it. Not everyone ends up there, but some of us do. I used to love bread, especially freshly baked, hommade bread. I stopped eating it, missed it for a while, then after a while I didn't care. I won't say I don't like it anymore, but I don't want it nearly as much and it doesn't take any effort, and certainly no misery, to avoid eating it.

Here, in case you didn't read your post.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you do not want it fine; however, dont try and tell someone else that it is bad or going to make them die because it is, in their opinion, dirty, processed, etc....

in my experience, forbidding something makes one want it more....kinda like the whole forbidden fruit in the garden of eden thing...

There were 2 people in the garden of eden, only one ate the apple.

Actually they both ate it.

wow, knowledge of literature is sad these days...
  • tlflag1620
    Options

How is that "advice" exactly? Where precisely did I tell you what to do?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    A) you said in your opinion it works that way for everyone (the use of the word "one" instead of "me")

B ) a boatload of posts I've read about binges were started by people attempting to eat moderately and not being able to stop.

I get why you don't eat/drink certain things...

but based on what I have read more people restrict/forbid and are unhappy about it then happy...you could be drawn to posts about binges where I am not.

@ndj1979 and I have both been here a long time and read a lot of posts. Based on our experience more people come in here saying "I can't eat this it's bad..." or " you shouldn't eat that it's bad..." or "i can't eat this otherwise I will not lose weight..." based on a belief that it is the type of food that makes you gain not the calories...I personally did that exact thing prior to coming here and listening to those who moderate intake and educated myself on nutrition and calories etc.

For a lot of people moderation is the best choice, for some others (not as many as those who moderate) excluding certain foods is best and keeps them sane...but for those who are excluding foods and miserable they do need to take a step back and rethink their methods...try moderation.....and not be miserable.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

you gave advice on how to eat forbidden foods, when that poster does not care about forbidden foods...
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    A) you said in your opinion it works that way for everyone (the use of the word "one" instead of "me")

B ) a boatload of posts I've read about binges were started by people attempting to eat moderately and not being able to stop.

but based on what I have read more people restrict/forbid and are unhappy about it then happy...you could be drawn to posts about binges where I am not.

@ndj1979 and I have both been here a long time and read a lot of posts. Based on our experience more people come in here saying "I can't eat this it's bad..." or " you shouldn't eat that it's bad..." or "i can't eat this otherwise I will not lose weight..." based on a belief that it is the type of food that makes you gain not the calories...I personally did that exact thing prior to coming here and listening to those who moderate intake and educated myself on nutrition and calories etc.

For a lot of people moderation is the best choice, for some others (not as many as those who moderate) excluding certain foods is best and keeps them sane...but for those who are excluding foods and miserable they do need to take a step back and rethink their methods...try moderation.....and not be miserable.

Thank you, but I tried moderation and it made me miserable. I'll pass.
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you gave advice on how to eat forbidden foods, when that poster does not care about forbidden foods...

? Where? How? When did I tell her to try it?

(and if it's forbidden, how do you instruct someone to eat it, other than to say 'don't eat it'.... you lost me there...)

She said, that for her, "forbidden foods = foods I want but am denying myself = causes lots of effort and misery on my part"

I related my experience that forbidding certain things may take some effort at first, but for some it gets easier. It doesn't have to equal lots of effort or neverending misery. I tried eating those same foods in moderation in the past. For me that *did* require lots of effort and neverending misery. For her, she eventually got used to small portions and having some foods perhaps less frequently, so it took less effort over time. I never did get used to it, and it remained a lot of hard work, not getting any easier. She never could get used to not having certain things, so it felt miserable. I did get used to not having certain things, and I don't need to put a lot of effort into it anymore. I wasn't offering "advice" (guidance or recommendations). I was offering a counter-perspective.

This is the debate board. One person states their opinion/experience, another person states theirs. It's not about "advice". I was simply pointing out that the ways she feels about restricting foods is hardly universal.
  • Alluminati
    Options

advice
    an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.:

Your opinion is that I'm jumping to conclusions with #1.....being that's it's my opinion I'm not sure why you decided to advise me that maybe this and maybe that and blah blah blah with your bread eating.

• tlflag1620
    Options

advice

Your opinion is that I'm jumping to conclusions with #1.....being that's it's my opinion I'm not sure why you decided to advise me that maybe this and maybe that and blah blah blah with your bread eating.

I didn't advise anything. I related my experience. I didn't tell you what to do, implicitly or explicitly. I gave an example from my own experience. Is there a reason you are getting so bent out of shape about someone offering a counter-perspective to your own experience? I certainly didn't try to tell you that you didn't experience what you said you experienced (if you say forbidding foods makes you miserable, I believe you, why wouldn't I?). And I absolutely didn't try to advise you on anything.

Is your blood sugar low?

• Alluminati
    Options

advice

I didn't advise anything. I related my experience. I didn't tell you what to do, implicitly or explicitly. I gave an example from my own experience. Is there a reason you are getting so bent out of shape about someone offering a counter-perspective to your own experience? I certainly didn't try to tell you that you didn't experience what you said you experienced (if you say forbidding foods makes you miserable, I believe you, why wouldn't I?). And I absolutely didn't try to advise you on anything.

Is your blood sugar low?

No, I just had bread, I'm good :)
  • tlflag1620
    edited June 2016
    Options

advice

Is your blood sugar low?

No, I just had bread, I'm good :)

Oh good! I thought maybe it had been more than two hours or so :)

• SezxyStef
    Options

you missed the point.

I wasn't suggesting it for you...

what I am saying is most who forbid do it for the wrong reason....and are miserable.

However there are those like you and others who do it to keep sane and are happier...good choice for you guys...
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

you missed the point.

what I am saying is most who forbid do it for the wrong reason....and are miserable

However there are those like you and others who do it to keep sane and are happier...good choice for you guys...

No.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    100df wrote: »

you missed the point.

what I am saying is most who forbid do it for the wrong reason....and are miserable

No.

and you know everyone who forbids do you?

most people here who do it based on what I have read are not happy and eventually end up as moderators.
  • tlflag1620
    edited June 2016
    Options

you missed the point.

No.

most people here who do it based on what I have read are not happy and eventually end up as moderators.

But how many people who are happily restricting ask for advice on the main forums? Just like how many people who are happily moderating ask for advice? Of course you see a lot of people struggling (in both camps) - the ones who found what works for them are quietly doing it, without whining or asking for help. Maybe the ones who aren't happy moderating and end up restricting don't bother coming back because the vibe around here is pretty clear - the majority (at least on the main forums) trot out the old 'don't restrict anything, eat whatever you want, nothing is off limits' line. Don't get me wrong, that may well be good advice for some, but for some others it doesn't work so well. I think all us restricters are keenly aware that we are outnumbered on MFP ;)
  • Alluminati
    Options

I know what you meant, I do. I still laughed.
  • ogtmama
    Options

I know what you meant, I do. I still laughed.

I think the moderators are a very loud vocal majority. Key words being loud and vocal ;)
  • SezxyStef
    Options

you missed the point.

No.

But how many people who are happily restricting ask for advice on the main forums? Just like how many people who are happily moderating ask for advice? Of course you see a lot of people struggling (in both camps) - the ones who found what works for them are quietly doing it, without whining or asking for help. Maybe the ones who aren't happy moderating and end up restricting don't bother coming back because the vibe around here is pretty clear - the majority (at least on the main forums) trot out the old 'don't restrict anything, eat whatever you want, nothing is off limits' line. Don't get me wrong, that may well be good advice for some, but for some others it doesn't work so well. I think all us restricters are keenly aware that we are outnumbered on MFP ;)

Yes, yes you are....
  • ogtmama
    Options
    And I am skipping lunch today to make room for the pre-camp Chinese buffet dinner...which I will not eat moderately! ;)