SHEPower Virtual Half: July 18
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Virtual runs--making the band
    ......Guitar Solo 6/28 3.85
    ......Drum Solo in August
    ......Lead Singer in September
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 asked "Question: What do you do to cross-train with your running? I'm looking for ideas to add to my book of tips as I like variety and would love to pick your running brains.'
    ...I snorkel....and am a tattoed Honu!
    g10bk9dd5lzf.jpg

Love the tattoo!!! :smiley:
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Thanks to everyone for their tips, it's helped tremendously!!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Going to strength training this afternoon - first time in at least 3 weeks. :scream:
    Did my indoor cycling class last night. It was really tough. Back to riding this weekend - yay!

7/1 - 5.23 miles in Washington
    7/2 - 3.7 miles in Washington
    7/3 - flying home all day - no running.
    7/4 - :disappointed: couldn’t ride today.
    7/5 - 4.5 miles in the Florida heat and humidity.
    7/6 - 5 miles!
    7/7 - 4.2 miles + 1 hour spinning class
    7/8 - strength training

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    @skippygirlsmom & @Stoshew71 So glad I read back through yesterday's posts! I love when you guys talk Jersey together. Our plan for the Belmar race is to try not to die (it's gonna be a hot one) and then DAY DRINKS!!! (Or possibly singular, because we're carpooling with a bunch of family folk who probably need to get back to real people responsibilities on a Saturday). I've only ever been to these shore towns for races; one day I'll go there just for fun!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Question: What do you do to cross-train with your running? I'm looking for ideas to add to my book of tips as I like variety and would love to pick your running brains. :smiley:

Firstly, welcome to the challenge! I think you'll find there is a wealth of knowledge on here, and everyone is just wonderful. I discovered this group around the beginning of the year (I think), and it has been a great experience so far. I even got to meet up with one of the regulars at a race a few months ago!

Secondly, I am certainly no running expert, but I have been running (half-seriously) for about six years, now. I see you had a few questions, so I will try to address them all. During my six years of running, I managed to injure myself twice. Both times was when I was upping my mileage to participate in a half marathon. Finally, just this past February, I was able to train and run for a half with no injuries. My injury in April 2015 took about four months and lots of therapy to heal to the point where it was no longer uncomfortable while running. Then it took me a few months to get back into the running, so there went the entire 2015 running season for me.

I have discovered that I cannot run two days in a row. I need at least one recovery day between runs, and I do so no matter how long the run is. This may change in the future, but it's what I've been practicing since last October, and I was able to train for and run a half with absolutely no injuries - something I was never able to do in the past.

As for cross training, on my days off I had been doing strength training and one day of some sort of aerobics class. Over the years, the aerobics classes have been kickboxing, step, HIIT, or spinning. I also take at least one day off per week to do nothing. I have just recently incorporated stretching into my routine. Recently meaning the past two weeks. Right now, This is something I did little to none of before. I'm interested to see how it affects my overall fitness.

I was pretty sick a couple months ago, and I was laid out for nearly three weeks because of it. Then, I got lazy, so I've decided to reboot myself and start this whole diet/fitness/running routine over again. Right now, I'm training for a half marathon in mid-September and working on doing what I mentioned above.

You will find a lot of people on here who run every day and that works for them. There are people who do a mix of running and biking, or running and strength training. I think what you really need to do is find a routine or plan that fits what you like and what your body can handle.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited July 2016
    I went out to try some hard effort intervals this morning. The plan was to do intervals of 3 minutes at 90% to 95% HRMax with 3 minutes recovery in between. I was not sure how many I would be able to do, but just in case I could pull off 3 or even 4 I set out on a 4 mile course with the plan to start my first interval at the top of the first minute after mile 1, which turned out to be the 12 minute mark. The first interval got my HR up to 169 which is 91% of HRMax, and the second interval got me to 176 which is 95% of HR Max. I decided against a third interval because my form was still strong and I still felt fine but I was not so sure I could maintain another 3 full minutes at good form. So I did walk/run intervals the remaining two miles back keeping my HR up but not too far up. With the heat I wasn't able to run the whole way back without my HR trying to creep up into LT range.

7/1 - 0 miles for me but 3 for Black Toe Month (BTM)
    7/2 - Nada, just strength exercises (sorry BTM)
    7/3 - 0 miles for me but 2.5 for BTM
    7/4 - 0 miles for me, 7 for BTM
    7/5 - Rest day from running, just strength and balance exercises.
    7/6 - No running, more strength and balance exercises.
    7/7 - WTF? No running? Extra strength and balance exercises then!
    7/8 - 0 miles for me, 4 for BTM

0 of 100 miles completed for me
    16.5 of XXX miles completed for BTM

exercise.png
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    ^^ Thank you very much for sharing with me! :smiley:
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    I ran intervals again today, and I feel amazing! Tomorrow is my first race (a colour run), and I'm going to try to get it done within my personal best if possible (even with all the colour that's going to be thrown my way). PB is currently 38 mins for 5K.

exercise.png

2/7: 5.44 km
    4/7: 3.00 km
    6/7: 1.00 km (was sick on 5/7 and still recovering)
    7/7: 3.64 km
    8/7: 4.00 km

Races:

9/7: Tropicolour 5K
    6/8: Colour Vibe 5K
    24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    July 1-7.3 +1.1 with the puppy
    July 2-12 miles
    July 3-8 miles
    July 4-rest day
    July 5-6 miles + 1.1 with the puppy
    July 6- 5 miles
    July 7- 4.6 miles easy + 0.4 miles with puppy (we ran into a doggie friend and she decided that play>running!)
    July 8- 4.4 miles speed intervals

I can't even begin to tell you how much I did not want to do my speed intervals this morning. Only 8X1 minute, but it was sooo sticky humid out and I knew it would be tough. I don't like to take it easy on tough workouts, so I would rather delay it if I can't give it my all. Then I remembered all of our talk about the importance of VO2max training and what not and knew I had to do it. It was a suck fest for sure. On the 7th and 8th intervals I could actually feel the water pooling in my lungs. I can't remember the last time I had that feeling. But it's done and it's Friday and now I can relax and enjoy the rest of my day.

Question for the Strava users. I joined the group two weeks ago. Pretty neat to see everyone's numbers all set up in rank. It definitely makes you feel a little more competitive. I definitely need to do something about that dog bringing down my speed! LOL Anyway, has anypone noticed a pretty big difference in the numbers on Garmin Connect vs. Strava? Pace is slightly off, but elevation gain difference is huge. My GC numbers are almost 25% higher than Strava for Elevation gain. Anyone know why that is?

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    @WhatMeRunning -Nice job on the intervals. 3 minutes @90-95% is pretty darn tough. Since you are new to this type of training, you might want to consider starting with more intervals at a shorter duration. I think a good place to start is 6X1 minute with 2 minute recovery in between. Just my 2 cents though :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    July
    1-4.6mi with incline between 1-13. slow and steady
    2-nope
    3-nope
    4-nope
    5-hip and foot cramps, nope
    6-flare. jog or yoga tonight. not sure which
    7-4.11mi sprint intervals. it felt good.
    8-aerial yoga tonight.

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited July 2016
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning -Nice job on the intervals. 3 minutes @90-95% is pretty darn tough. Since you are new to this type of training, you might want to consider starting with more intervals at a shorter duration. I think a good place to start is 6X1 minute with 2 minute recovery in between. Just my 2 cents though :)
    Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. The only reason I tried the 3 minute intervals was that I was running for some time around that range on my 5k (due to the heat/humidity I suspect), so I figured I could do it with little fear, but no clue how many intervals I could do. :smile: I would have been better off with the shorter ones for sure because I could have accumulated more overall time at the effort possibly. I'm kinda entering all this by feel. Definitely appreciate the feedback. :smile:
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited July 2016
    7/1 - 11.5 - Easy
    7/2 - 5.86 - Recovery
    7/3 - 18.11 - Long Run
    7/4 - 2.0 - Strength Training Warmup
    7/5 - 9.0 - Tempo
    7/6 - 14.07 - Easy
    7/7 - 5.14 - Recovery
    7/8 - 12.1 - Easy W/ Strides

Total 77.77 of 289

Work up again to area thunderstorms and lightning lighting up the sky all around, no rain but it looked imminent. Headed back to the gym to NASCAR run the track 12 miles (72 laps) To my displeasure as I watched from the windows looking outside from the track it never spit a drop of water as I got dizzy running, but I don't take getting struck by lighting lightly so better safe than sorry. Really good run as HR stayed in z2 pretty much the entire time as my pace was about :20 seconds slower than my goal marathon pace. Running in the air conditioning has a few advantages and the lack of humidity is one of them. Threw in 7 x :30 strides about mile 10.75 to break up the monotony. Got another easy 5-6 mile recovery run tomorrow and my first of (5) 20+ mile long runs on Sunday. I'm sure once this training plan is over I'll appreciate a week 5 20 miler, but not looking forward to it at this point.

0xgscjh8t9qj.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited July 2016
    All this HR talk got me wondering. I Just looked at my Garmin data, and My average HR was 182 and I spent 1:39:43 in Zone 5 (179-Max I use %HRR for zones)...think I was pushing a little hard....that and caffeine
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    I seem to be in the middle of an involuntary cut-back week! Missed my Thursday run (worked late) and then my make-up opportunity (well, sort of slept through it). No doubt, this will result in a fabulous time when I attempt Saturday's long run.
  • lporter229
    All this HR talk got me wondering. I Just looked at my Garmin data, and My average HR was 182 and I spent 1:39:43 in Zone 5 (179-Max I use %HRR for zones)...think I was pushing a little hard....that and caffeine

Technically, you should not be able to spend that long in zone 5 or it's not truly your zone 5. You may need to re-evaluate your max heart rate and/or try to determine your lactate threshold heart rate. You should only be able to spend about 1 hour at LT heart rate.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited July 2016

If that is the case your zones are likely way off. Your z4 should be the HR effort you could sustain for 1 hour. In longer race situations you might bounce between Z4 & and the lower portion of Z5 but that much seems unlikely without serious decreases in performance. You might benefit from getting an actual HR lactic threshold test done by a qualified trainer to get those zone set up closer to you actual ability.

@lporter229 looks like we both posted the same thing about the same time.

Also would like to add that that if you set up your zones based on tables and formulas using 220-age, stop using that immediately. If you don;t want to spend the money to get it professionally done, several authors have some guidelines to get you close.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, I was thinking that the zones were off....and I actually had upped them because they always seemed too low before, based on effort.

I'm actually looking at getting tested....not easy where I am, since I'm in the middle of nowhere, though I am looking for somewhere that's in the cities for me to do it. I'm thinking that my Max HR is a bunch higher than the whole 220-age thing, that would have me at a max HR of like 187, and I obviously passed that.

Where can I look to get a better idea of max HR?

Edit: The only places around here that do stress tests are the hospitals/clinics, and they only do them for people who have symptoms of cardiac conditions....I have asked before