July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    7/11: 5 miles (2 mile walk, 3 high incline treadmill)

Monthly total: 71.75/100 miles
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - I recently bought a set of resistance bands with carabiner clips on each end. The paperwork started with a warning about them being the worlds most powerful slingshot. They range from 3 pounds to 30 pounds and you can combine them via handles and the carabiner clips to get around 160 pounds of resistance. You could do more than just squirrels, all while getting in a workout.
    I envision @Elise4270 launching her tiny self with these bands :)

If I only had a pool...

@ddmom0811 My next appointment is August 1st. I don't know how well I'll be able to walk by then not having had PT. But I think August first is the goal to ditch the crutches. Alex suggested we bury them, some how incorporating them in to the slingshot.. He's creepin' on the group BTW. I keep telling him ya'll are great.

DH saw my bike out and questioned my sanity over it. I put it up. I miss my bike. It's so beautiful.

You could launch the crutches with the sling shot like a BIG arrow!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Missed my planned run this morning due to some serious bad weather, torrential downpour, lightning everywhere and 60 mph winds!!! :open_mouth: Yeah, I might run in the rain, and maybe find myself stuck in a bit of hail, but I'm not heading out into THAT, no thanks!

It's kind of OK though. Sort of. This strength building stuff has been paying off big time, and when I wasn't able to run Sunday I did HIIT intervals of squat jumps that totally kicked my butt, along with an extra set of each strength exercise (I normally limit to one set each if I ran that day). After a rest day yesterday to recuperate I might do the same thing today. Granted, my long distance endurance HAS suffered, especially having had injury time off for part of last month. But I will get that built back up where I want it. On the plus side, I am visibly losing fat...although not weight.

I feel kind of like @Elise4270 did a couple months back. Like I would really prefer to focus on 5k to 10k distances. I don't know why, but I find it more thrilling to run shorter and faster now than longer and slower. Weird how that happened.
  • Net1968
    Net1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

July:
    1st. 5
    2nd. 5
    3rd. 5 ( Local Hospice Colour Run)
    5th. 7
    6th. 4
    8th. 5
    9th. 5 (Parkrun)
    9th. 10 (Treadmill)
    11th. 4

Total 50km out of 112km

Up coming races:
    3rd Colour Run Done!
    31st Helena Tipping Wrexham 10km

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Went for a power walk/jog last night in the crappy humid weather. Was soaked in seconds. Today was rolling hills on the treadmill, and I could only do half the workout before caving and bringing the incline down to 0. Going to do intervals with a small incline tomorrow and see how that goes.

exercise.png

1/7: REST
    2/7: 5.44 km
    3/7: REST
    4/7: 3.00 km
    5/7: sick
    6/7: 1.00 km (still recovering)
    7/7: 3.64 km
    8/7: 4.00 km
    9/7: 5.00 km
    10/7: REST
    11/7: 4.19 km
    12/7: 3.50 km

Races:

9/7: Tropicolour 5K
    23/7: Zombies Run! App Ultra-Violet 5K
    6/8: Colour Vibe 5K
    20/8: Zombies Run! App Visiting Van Ark 10K
    3/9: Zombies Run! App Jeffro Complex 20K
    24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
    20/10-01/11 : Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run (seriously thinking about it) :smile:
  • sara_bear84
    sara_bear84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    10th July - 3km
    12th July - 4km

exercise.png

Races this year
    9th April - Spring Wolf Run
    12th June - Summer Wolf Run
    4th September - Autumn Wolf Run
    6th November - Winter Wolf Run
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I was trying to put my waterproof trousers on while wearing my hiking boots and somehow borked my back this morning. I'm such a dill! :smiley:

For me, this is the quote of the day. Thanks for the laugh! Hope your back feels better though :/

Also, @skippygirlsmom -+1 for the ipod shuffle. I am on my second one after accidentally putting my first one through the wash. I do exactly as @kristinegift said with the headphones. You hardly know it's there.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I think we've all done something similar to this and we feel your pain! Hope you feel better soon!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    July
    1-4.6mi with incline between 1-13. slow and steady
    2-nope
    3-nope
    4-nope
    5-hip and foot cramps, nope
    6-flare. jog or yoga tonight. not sure which
    7-4.11mi sprint intervals. it felt good.
    8-2 hrs of aerial yoga
    9-beat up from yoga
    10-hungover. heartbeat hurt my head
    11-still kinda hungover. too old to party
    12-slept thru my alarms and my skin is on fire. i might sneak a run in tonight. maybe. depends if clothes feel comfortable

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    On the plus side, I am visibly losing fat...although not weight.

I feel kind of like @Elise4270 did a couple months back. Like I would really prefer to focus on 5k to 10k distances. I don't know why, but I find it more thrilling to run shorter and faster now than longer and slower. Weird how that happened.

Congratulations in losing the fat! "On the plus side" sounds like a fat joke... which reminds me of a Dr Who episode.... Adipose. Blah blah blah... we'd happily give up little fat babies for an alien race. I think I'm going to try a lower carb diet for a few weeks and see if that won't get some fat cells skinny.

Nothing wrong with changing it up. It's probably a good idea. Keep you moving forward and engaged... Maybe buy me some time so I'm somewhat competitive come Jenks. :smiley:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    July 1-7.3 +1.1 with the puppy
    July 2-12 miles
    July 3-8 miles
    July 4-rest day
    July 5-6 miles + 1.1 with the puppy
    July 6- 5 miles
    July 7- 4.6 miles easy + 0.4 miles with puppy (we ran into a doggie friend and she decided that play>running!)
    July 8- 4.4 miles speed intervals
    July 9-9.3 miles with Mojo group +1.3 miles with Stella
    July 10-6.1 miles
    July 11- rest
    July 12- 6.2 miles AM

Did part one of my two a day this morning. I am on week 4 of Matt Fitzgerald's level 3 half marathon plan. It's pretty intense. I think it has more miles than the level 2 full marathon plan I did in the fall and I even added a bunch of miles to that. This plan has 3 two a days this week. It also only has one rest day every three weeks (except I am ignoring that and taking one every week). I am not sure if I want to stick with it or not. I would love to train for a fall HM PR, but my "A" goal for the year is to stay healthy and head into training for Boston feeling strong. I am not sure if my "B" goal of a HM PR is in conflict with my "A" goal or not. On one hand, I am pretty sure that I could handle this plan, but I am also thinking that it might beat me up a bit more than I would like. I usually like to modify my plans to fit my goals anyway, but this one might just be beyond that. Any opinions or advice would definitely be appreciated!

exercise.png
  • CarmenChaban
    CarmenChaban Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    7/2....2.01 miles walk/run on treadmill
    7/4....2.7 miles walk/run in park
    7/6....2.5 miles walk/ run on treadmill
    7/9....2.7 miles walk/ penguin shuffle run in park
    7/11..2.68 miles walk/ run on Harvard's football field
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I've been home a week in the Florida heat and today I finally felt sort of okay on the run. Although apparently we have a "cold front", lol - it was 79 at 7am and 84% humidity. But, I did much better today than all previous runs in the past week. I was still completely drenched when I got home, all the way to the tips of my braids.

I have a new routine the past week. When I get home I eat watermelon -- about 3 cups of it. I have not had any dehydration headaches since starting this. And it fills me up so it's my breakfast as well. I always have water and a glass of chocolate milk when I first get back also. My daughter had suggested it to me because I was having to drink gatorade or I would get the headache after a hot/humid run. I'm going through a lot of watermelon though! And it's only in season for a couple months but it's right when I need it so I'm happy with it.

@skippygirlsmom - I just ordered that headband. In pink of course. I was hoping I'd get it tomorrow but it looks like it takes longer to ship that the usual items.

7/1 - 5.23 miles in Washington
    7/2 - 3.7 miles in Washington
    7/3 - flying home all day - no running.
    7/4 - :disappointed: couldn’t ride today.
    7/5 - 4.5 miles in the Florida heat and humidity.
    7/6 - 5 miles!
    7/7 - 4.2 miles + 1 hour spinning class
    7/8 - strength training - cancelled — rest day
    7/9 - 34 mile bike ride
    7/10 -35 miles biking
    7/11 - 5 mile run
    7/12 - 5 mile run

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM