July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Our running group has been harassed a few times now though by a guy who drives a white Tesla. He doesn't like us running on the road -- even though some streets lack sidewalks and the roads aren't busy so cars have plenty of room to move over. This morning is the third run-in with him, and he honked at our group and tried to run us off the road. We finally have a license plate number now, so we're making a second police report. It's one thing to honk and yell, another thing to actually swerve toward human beings with a motor vehicle. Hopefully the police will take it seriously this time instead of shrugging it off and saying, "Well, nothing we can do!" like last time.
    If they don't, you might consider having someone videotape him and take him to court - attempted vehicular homicide, or similar. I don't know whether your district attorney will support the case, especially if the police won't, but it certainly passes along the message that you're serious.

The aim is to get photo/video proof, it's just a matter of remembering to whip a phone out when so frazzled. But our group is huge and incensed about it, so we'll get him I'm sure!

Maybe a GoPro?

cam-represent-HERO-SESSION.jpg
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I envision @Elise4270 launching her tiny self with these bands :)
    @shanaber I had a vision of Flying Squirrels with an assisted launch.
    Our running group has been harassed a few times now by a guy who drives a white Tesla. This morning is the third run-in with him, and he honked at our group and tried to run us off the road. We finally have a license plate number now, so we're making a second police report.
    @kristinegift I hope your local police take this more seriously. When you do the report ask for the name/badge or regimental number of the officer taking the report and get a copy of it with the associated file number. This way you have something to refer back to and it makes the local police realize that this is something you are going to be following up on.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    July  2     6.5      6.5 
    July  3     5.0     11.5 
    July  4     4.3     15.8 
    July  6     4.3     20.1 
    July  9    13.2     33.3 
    July 11     5.5     38.8 

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 2 miles
    7/2 - 5 miles
    7/3 - 3 miles
    7/4- hiking day with Skip
    7/5 - 5 miles
    7/6 - 5 miles
    7/7 - rest day
    7/8 - 5 miles
    7/9 - 8 miles
    7/10 - 4 miles
    7/11 - 5 miles

42 of 110 miles

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 It's just so crazy that people are that mean and impatient so early in the morning! I've never encountered a purposeful exhaust blast before though. Yuck!

@Stoshew71 Luckily our running group is very well connected locally so if we don't get an appropriate response from the police we've got some local bloggers and prosecutors we can talk too. Apparently there are several other runners in Princeton and other groups who have encountered this guy and taken note so if a petition becomes necessary we'll have lots of support!
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/7: 4.5 Miles
    3/7: 8.1 Miles
    5/7: 6.5 Miles
    7/7: 6.3 Miles
    9/7: 9.0 Miles
    11/7: 5.1 Miles

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @Tweaking_Time Love the shady trail pic :)

@9voice9 I'd get a professional opinion. My husband had a hernia and if it were him, I'd want him to get exercises from a professional.

@kristinegift What a jerk. I'd go with a GoPro and video the guy. I ran a different route Saturday on very lightly traveled but paved roads and I got the impression from all FOUR cars that passed me in that 2 miles that I was not welcome there. I was running on the opposite side and they would just come at me and wait until the last second to barely move over. I was getting ticked. There was soooo much room and they could've gone around without even slowing down. I don't have that problem on the heavier traveled roads. Go figure.

July 1 - 5 mile run with 3 miles of hills....10 min pilates
    July 2 - 2 mi "trail running fail".....4 miles real running :-p
    July 3 - 2.5 mi hard run
    July 4 - Rest day
    July 5 - 3 mi easy run....1.5 mi walk with sprinting intervals....25 min strength/pilates/stretching
    July 6 - 4 mi run
    July 7 - 30 min indoor cardio, 30 min strength/pilates
    July 8 - 6 mile run with 2 miles of hill repeats
    July 9 - 5 mi run
    July 10 - Sick day
    July 11 - 2 mi awful run......strength/pilates later

33 miles of 60 (all bonus miles go to our invalids)

So I headed out at 6 this morning planning to run 4 miles and instead I ran (with 3-4 walk breaks) 2 PAINFUL miles. I don't know what the deal was. My lower legs were on FIRE. Calves and shins, both sides. I kept trying to walk it out and it would come right back as soon as I started running. I felt totally fine as long as I wasn't running. I feel fine now. Nothing tight/sore.

Anyone ever experience this? My only thought is that I needed a super long warm up walk today because after I ran Saturday morning I was extremely sedentary for the rest of Sat/Sun. I barely moved for almost 48 hours between Sat AM run and Monday AM run. I had intended to do light cardio and pilates/strength yesterday but was a zombie all day with medicine head. I can only take so much pain while running and there was just no way I was going to make it through 4 miles this morning :(
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @mbaker566 wow that is a crazy picture - love it
    @kristinegift you got lots of good advice and I'm glad your group has the ear of people in higher places. I was going to join your run with my gun but seems you won't need it :wink: Seriously though, people are just insane what in the world would possess someone to swerve their car at another human being. Oh wait I tried to run my brother over once, but that's a story for another time. I hope it all gets worked out without anyone getting hurt. :angry:
    @kimlight2 I do zero speed work, just base building, because I'm lazy like that LOL. I was hurt back in April so I've been slowly building my base back up since then. Before I got hurt I was at 120-130 ish a month I'm finally seeing 100 again. Before my first HM I never ran 13.1 miles or more. My longest run was 12.5ish and I did that one time. I didn't want a time in my head for my first. Everyone told me if you can run 10 you can run 13 and they were right.
    @stoshew71 I don't think you would know this guy, he is just very low key I never see him at any races around, always runs alone. He lives near me so I've seen him running in the hood once or twice but usually at Indian Creek Greenway. I know you don't really run the greenway itself much. He's about 5'5", mid 50s, Asian and is always sweating to the point of his clothes dripping. He's not the type of runner that makes you stand up and take notice, he just moves along about his business. The first time we met he was training for a full in Utah or somewhere, it was another guy who told me he has run marathons in every state. He told Skip his PR is 3:39 or 36 but "I was younger then" ha ha super nice guy. I've been to Wheeler before but never run there.
    @shanaber A wedding coming up!? Nice!
    @9voice9 I agree with Stan on getting a PT to let you know what you can and can't do.
    @respectthekitty great run, slowing down always works for me to get more miles in. The local radio guy was talking about the Pokemon Go game today, they were cracking me up
    @honunui Happy Anniversary - 40 years that is so awesome! Congrats!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    So I headed out at 6 this morning planning to run 4 miles and instead I ran (with 3-4 walk breaks) 2 PAINFUL miles. I don't know what the deal was. My lower legs were on FIRE. Calves and shins, both sides. I kept trying to walk it out and it would come right back as soon as I started running. I felt totally fine as long as I wasn't running. I feel fine now. Nothing tight/sore.

Anyone ever experience this? My only thought is that I needed a super long warm up walk today because after I ran Saturday morning I was extremely sedentary for the rest of Sat/Sun. I barely moved for almost 48 hours between Sat AM run and Monday AM run. I had intended to do light cardio and pilates/strength yesterday but was a zombie all day with medicine head. I can only take so much pain while running and there was just no way I was going to make it through 4 miles this morning :(

@greenolivetree - I have experienced this a few times. Unfortunately, I have never managed to nail down a cause, so I can't give any good advice. I will be fine one day, dying the next, then fine again on the following run. I have found that trying to push through that legs-on-fire feeling usually winds up in some sort of minor injury, though. I think you made the right choice to cut it short!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    7/1 - Baseball tournament...no chance to run.
    7/2 - More baseball!
    7/3 - Family day. Not starting the month so well.
    7/4 - 3.82 miles on a beautiful, cool morning.
    7/5 - Bodypump class, followed by 1.5 miles on indoor track.
    7/6 - 4.01 miles through the soupy air...HOLY HUMIDITY!
    7/7 - Bodypump class, then 1.5 miles on indoor track.
    7/8 - Spin Class. Not sure of mileage. ~50 minutes.
    7/9 - Rest Day. Moved a lot of furniture.
    7/10 - Bodypump class, then 2.0 miles on treadmill

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    Options

@greenolivetree - I have experienced this a few times. Unfortunately, I have never managed to nail down a cause, so I can't give any good advice. I will be fine one day, dying the next, then fine again on the following run. I have found that trying to push through that legs-on-fire feeling usually winds up in some sort of minor injury, though. I think you made the right choice to cut it short!

Hmm....Now that you mention it, last time I remember my legs being on fire was a few months ago, and I thought I ran too fast, but after that I did have to take a few extra rest days because something started aching. Hopefully this won't be a big deal :-/
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Trying to get through over 100 posts since Friday was crazy! You guys are very active, and I love it! :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - I recently bought a set of resistance bands with carabiner clips on each end. The paperwork started with a warning about them being the worlds most powerful slingshot. They range from 3 pounds to 30 pounds and you can combine them via handles and the carabiner clips to get around 160 pounds of resistance. You could do more than just squirrels, all while getting in a workout.
    I envision @Elise4270 launching her tiny self with these bands :)

If I only had a pool...

@ddmom0811 My next appointment is August 1st. I don't know how well I'll be able to walk by then not having had PT. But I think August first is the goal to ditch the crutches. Alex suggested we bury them, some how incorporating them in to the slingshot.. He's creepin' on the group BTW. I keep telling him ya'll are great.

DH saw my bike out and questioned my sanity over it. I put it up. I miss my bike. It's so beautiful.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Way to go on the color run!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Love reading everyone's updates and seeing pictures!

07/01 - 3 miles
    07/02 - Hiking w/ family
    07/03 - 6 miles
    07/04 - 1 mile
    07/06 - 5 miles
    07/07 - 3 miles
    07/09 - 8 miles
    07/11 - 3 miles (planning on running another 3 this evening)

I had a nice 8 mile run on Saturday, although I was planning on going longer. My knee has been bothering me since the marathon but it's slowly improving... hoping to run my first double digit run since then this coming weekend.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    08/13: Magnuson Park 10k
    08/20: Reykjavik 10k (what better way to explore a new city than by running it?)
    09/10: Lake Chelan HM
    09/17: Destination Woodinville HM

• greenolivetree
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I got on the scale today and surprise, surprise! I weigh more than I have in 5 years. I have a lot of work to do.

@Elise4270 I really do feel for you. I'd be going crazy. Good thing you were already crazy :smirk:

@katharmonic You'll get that hill next time!
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @tattooeddolphingirl78 great job on the color run - love the picture what a happy face!
    @greenolivetree the scale is the devil - he and I aren't on speaking terms right now, I'm starting to like him more this week, but last week he was dead to me!

Hey all you smart people, my iPod Nano died and I need to get something else for my music. I don't like to run with my phone it's too big and I stole Skip's iPod Touch and it's okay but I like something small that I can put on my waistband. Any ideas?