July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Question: I would like to know what you fuel your body with pre-run and post-run.

Right now, I run in the mornings, so I wake up and go with no food ingested. Once I'm done, I drink my protein shake and a bit later eat a banana and a yogurt.

If I wanted to run in the evenings, it would be best to eat a light meal and run a few hours after eating, but I'm curious as to what you "non-novice" runners consume.

Thanks!

I like picky bars post run, chicken and rice or muscle milk with frozen fruit blended. Pre afternoon runs, uh red bull and sprees. :blush:
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I forgot say earlier that Skip's coach told her to stop drinking cold/ice water after her runs and drink more of a room temperature water it will help the body cool down faster, also stopping any type of headache.
    Interesting. Not sure if it is for this reason or not, but a few years back I started drinking water at more of a room temperature (whatever temp it arrives at) simply because I heard that it can take longer to absorb when it is cold and the body tries to warm it up first. I honestly don't know if that is really true, but since then I'm just lazy and just grab some water. Doesn't bother me one bit. Some people though need their water COLD. I guess I'm just not one of them.

I drink water room temperature because I simply don't like cold water. I also tend to chug water, and chugging something ice cold isn't always very fun. I honestly never knew there may actually be some benefits to drinking room temperature water.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I meant to mention you earlier. I didn't realize (or don't remember) reading you had Crohn's, my Mom has that, very nasty disease. Hope you're feeling better today and the weather cooperates.

Thanks. I am feeling better. Sorry to hear that your mom has Crohn's. It is a nasty disease. I am well controlled right now with my meds, but they present some challenges of their own. Far better than the alternative though. I have had some struggles in the past but the Remicade infusions have been such a blessing. Is your mom on any meds?
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much time to go through the board, lately. I'm lucky I've been finding the time to get a few miles in here and there! I really, really wish I could get my *kitten* out to door in the morning before work, but in order to get even just a few miles and shower and whatnot in, I'd have to start my run between 5-5:30am, and I simply cannot make myself do it. Because of my inability to function at 5am, I was forced to run my measly three miles right after work, around 4pm, this past Tuesday because it was my boyfriend's birthday and my Dad was taking us out to dinner at 5:30pm. I was not about to tempt a 8pm run after a huge dinner and cheesecake, so my run was quite warm and very humid. The sun was hot, the shade was okay, but it was a pretty miserable run. Today, the only time I'll have to run is between 7pm and 8pm. Fingers crossed we don't have thunderstorms and torrential downpours like we did yesterday. There's chance of them coming again, today.

07/06 2.50 mi
    07/08 3.00 mi
    07/10 2.00 mi
    07/12 3.00 mi
    TOTAL 10.50 mi
    GOAL: 50.00 mi

Upcoming 2016 Races:
    08/06 – Foreman Foundation Chocolate Tour 10K
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
    09/24 – The Great Pumpkin Run 5K
    10/09 – 5,000 Yards Dash
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 11.5 - Easy
    7/2 - 5.86 - Recovery
    7/3 - 18.11 - Long Run
    7/4 - 2.0 - Strength Training Warmup
    7/5 - 9.0 - Tempo
    7/6 - 14.07 - Easy
    7/7 - 5.14 - Recovery
    7/8 - 12.1 - Easy W/ Strides
    7/9 - 5.1 - Recovery
    7/10 - 20.0 - Long Run
    7-11 - Rest
    7/12 - 8.01 - Tempo
    7/13 - 12.47 - Easy
    7/14 - 5.0 - Recovery

Total 128.35 of 289

More Storms in the area this morning so I went to the gym again. I normally so strength training on my recovery days so it wasn't too hard to just hit the track for the easy 5 miler. Did about 35 min elliptical before the strength training which helped get the lead out of the legs for the run, which went well.

y5z0styar0ge.png

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 - I actually just had a similar conversation with my trainer about fueling for runs last week. I've been struggling with dehydration and cardiac drift on my runs of 12-20 miles despite taking in 40-64oz of water and a gel or two. He's an elite caliber athlete who has finished as high as 21st in the Boston Marathon and has qualified for the Olympic trials. He told me to disregard what the common thought was on running fasted and not taking gels/water on long runs. He actually suggest eating 200-300 calories 60-90 minutes (if possible) before runs of 10-20 miles. If it's not possible due to super early runs to eat about 100 calories of grapes/watermelon and take a gel before the run. Then try to get 200-250 calories per hour & 8-10 oz of water/electrolytes every 30 minutes. His theory is you want those to be quality workouts to get the maximum training stimulus and if you are weak towards the end and performance suffers you add un-needed stress and recovery time. I tried it on yesterdays run and I was surprised to see some improvement in the last 2 miles of the 12 mile run. Even though I still was somewhat dehydrated due to the humidity I recovered much quicker and today's run was a breeze. He said for runs under an hour or so it's not as critical but on longer runs that is what he has done.

As far as post run, I try to get about half of my calories burned back into my system as soon as possible, shooting for that 30 minute window immediately following. That becomes difficult when a 20 miler takes about 2800 calories but protein & fruit mixed recovery shakes can easily knock out 600 calories quick, even more if you use ice cream :). I like to take 2 scoops of vanilla casein protein powder (50g Protein/260 Calories), 2 Nuun Lemon Lime Electrolyte Tablets (20 calories), 2 frozen Bananas (210 Calories) & 16 OZ almond milk (60 calories). One of these immediately following the run then a 300-400 calorie breakfast after a shower generally fills me up until lunch. The quicker you get protein and carbs into your system the quicker you begin to recover.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @lporter229 I meant to mention you earlier. I didn't realize (or don't remember) reading you had Crohn's, my Mom has that, very nasty disease. Hope you're feeling better today and the weather cooperates.

Thanks. I am feeling better. Sorry to hear that your mom has Crohn's. It is a nasty disease. I am well controlled right now with my meds, but they present some challenges of their own. Far better than the alternative though. I have had some struggles in the past but the Remicade infusions have been such a blessing. Is your mom on any meds?

@lporter229 she has been on and off so many things I don't even know what she's taking anymore. I'll have to ask her and mention the Remicade to her. Glad you are feeling better.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Getting used to the heat I guess. Today I felt fine, but when got home was completely drenched as usual.
    @skippygirlsmom - hmmm my package should arrive today. I thought it was awfully expensive for one headband.

I use Endomondo and Strava to track runs and cycling. Endomondo has these challenges where you win something - just by signing up and every time you exercise you are given an entry I guess. Low and behold last month I was notified that I won a prize! It is a sit-pack. https://www.sitpack.dk/ I thought I just won one but it arrived last night (from Denmark) and there were 4 in the box. Quite an interesting little gadget. My daughter was cracking up when I sent her a picture of me on it. She said she wants one for the subway, lol. The train she catches is always full when it gets to her so she stands most mornings. It's funny to me that they have it on an exercise site because everyone talks about how sitting is the new smoking , and here is a device to let you sit (well, sort of).
    I tried to post the picture but it shows up HUGE so I removed it. But I will post it later.

7/1 - 5.23 miles in Washington
    7/2 - 3.7 miles in Washington
    7/3 - flying home all day - no running.
    7/4 - :disappointed: couldn’t ride today.
    7/5 - 4.5 miles in the Florida heat and humidity.
    7/6 - 5 miles!
    7/7 - 4.2 miles + 1 hour spinning class
    7/8 - strength training - cancelled — rest day
    7/9 - 34 mile bike ride
    7/10 -35 miles biking
    7/11 - 5 mile run + strength training
    7/12 - 5 mile run
    7/13 - 4 miles
    7/14 - 4.3 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @5512bf That's great input, thanks! I'm nowhere near longer runs yet, but this will definitely help when I get to that point in my training.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift thought you'd find this article about Oiselle interesting

http://www.outsideonline.com/2088316/watch-birdie

I love this article! Sally is such a bad *kitten*. She's been really vocal with Rule 40 and USOC gag orders/social media blackouts which is getting Oiselle lots of press (and probably a few more fans). I love that their stuff is designed by and for women; you can really tell when you wear it that the creators know women's bodies. I'm such a fan of Oiselle as a brand and a community. GO SALLY GO!
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @ddmom0811 too funny!

@5512bf I'm all about those calories during a run. Most of us are on this weight loss journey and it's so hard to change our mindset, seeing calories as useful and purposeful. Intentionally ingesting carbs and sugars? You must be mad! Lol! Before I went out I was doing every other run with fuel, no matter how long it was. It wasn't long before I noticed a difference in performance. My routine 6 was closing in on 9. I was sure I was headed for a 5k,10k, HM PR's- I had this locked up. I think it's important that we try to see those burned calories as fuel/recovery calories. Not banked for pizza or pie. Pfft, Who would do that? Not me :smiley: me. You're trainer sounds like an exceptional find! Thanks so much for reminding us that we are runners with a weight loss goal. * I know some run exclusively for weight loss. But that'll change. Soon you'll be a runner before being overweight or out of shape. * you're here, you're a runner. Eat with purpose.

I have a headache and am shut in. Forgive me if I'm nutty and the time limit passes to correct any extreme goofiness. Although, I suspect it's nothing unexpected.
  • CGar321
    CGar321 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    7/9 - 4.0
    7/12 - 4.66
    7/14 - 4.0

12.66 of 45

Races:
    2/7 - Super Sunday Fun Run 10K
    3/13 - Shamrock 1/2 Marathon
    5/7 - Disney Tinkerbell 10K
    5/8 - Disney Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon

9/3 - Disneyland 10K
    9/4 - Disneyland 1/2 marathon
    10/2 - Urban Cow 1/2 marathon
    12/4 - California International Marathon
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Glad it was nothing! We are in a drought. Send that our way!

I realized that I bought men's 8.5 saucony kinavaras 6. Could anyone use them? Pm me if you or someone you know could. I have worn them once.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    So here is the Sit-Pack I won from the Endomondo challenge. I couldn't stop laughing when I sat on it.

60tzuqqyiufb.jpg

LOL you are such a cutie with your sit-pack!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Glad that it wasn't serious. It's funny when we're really focused on our goals, we get annoyed at anything that interrupts them.

@ddmom0811 Is it comfortable? I can't really tell by your laughing expression. :wink:
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Well, I went down to the gym for a spin class today. All was going well until a tornado warning was issued about halfway through class. We were forced to abandon the workout and take shelter in the gym locker room for about 40 minutes. All is well here--I think it was just rotation and never actually hit the ground. Lots of flooding and downed trees and some pretty intense wind still blowing through.

This being Oklahoma, I'm more annoyed at my workout being interrupted than I am concerned about my safety.

Probably the same system that went though South Central Kansas this morning. No rotation here but torrential rain, small hail & 80mph wind. Sky at 8:30 am was so dark I thought it was night.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater I'm terrified of those tornadoes y'all get. I think we need some kind of wall to keep them in Oklahoma and away from Arkansas! LOL A small, VERY small, one hit .5 mile from my house a few months ago and I was in the hall closet. My husband says "I don't care if I die!" I say "I care HOW I die and I don't want it to be from a tornado!"

@ddmom0811 That is hilarious! Hang on to that for the Dirty Santa game in a few months :)
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @5512bf - Yeah, definitely the same system, it just hit you all a lot earlier. My husband works in Independence, KS, (I work in Tulsa, OK--about an hour straight south) and it hit there about 2 hours before it got to us. I find that interesting, considering that the storm was said to be moving at 75mph (but to the southeast, not straight south).

@greenolivetree - Growing up in northern Missouri and living in Oklahoma, I'm pretty used to the threat of a tornado (and seeing the damage afterward), but I've never actually seen or been affected by one myself. Seems like the really crazy stuff tends to hit western and central Oklahoma (closer to @Elise4270 ). At least since I've been here, anyway (11 years).
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 - It was comfortable but I was just a little nervous about it. It does feel very sturdy though. I was thinking it would be good for my mother-in-law who has leg pain, but the only thing is I'd be afraid she wouldn't extend it properly and then she'd fall or something. It folds down to a tiny little object smaller than an umbrella. Very easy to open and close. But for someone like me, not necessarily for MIL.

@greenolivetree - lol!