July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater One hit here a few years back when I was working in a hotel. I had to evacuate everybody to downstairs and I remember thinking the washing machine was being awful loud and later realized that was the tornado. Again, it wasn't a terrible one, but my husband was home alone and that's the ONLY time I've known HIM to get in the closet (with our dog!) Usually the storms have weakened by the time they get here. But I've had enough close calls :-/ The thunder is just starting to rumble here. I'm about to get soaked leaving work.
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Took me a while to get started buy I did my first run of the month...gonna get ready to prepare for my first Half marathon at Disney in February! I've been wanting to do this for years!
    My run felt ok, 30 mins, 2.47 mi. Now it's time to build and improve! Any advice/suggestions/tips are more than welcome!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 too funny. Actually they were $15.99 each in Academy and I paid $14.99 on Amazon. Did you think that was a lot for 1?
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    July
    2Jul - 8k
    3Jul - 6k
    5Jul - 6k
    7Jul - 7k
    9Jul - 10k
    10Jul - 8k
    12Jul - 5k
    14Jul - 6k

57.2/100

Did my run before work this morning as there was a 5mile race on tonight that I didn't feel ready to run (mostly elite runners and others faster than me) but wanted to go along to support. It was fun but I did not stay until the last finishers arrived in as I was being eaten alive by midges (for those not familiar with them they are pronounced midjees and are the Scottish equivalent of mosquitos but hungrier).

Sit packs, butt of jokes, hiding in closets - you guys are on form today.

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I just had to refuse a free invitation to Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon in Dublin because I know I'm not ready for a half. I mean I could maybe finish it but the chance I walk it out without an injury is too low for me. I hope I made the right call.

Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    July 1 - 7.7 km - 148/6:09
    July 2 - 5.8 km - 147/6:56
    July 3 - 11.6km - 151/6:22
    July 4 - rest
    July 5 - 7.0 km - 149/6:34
    July 6 - 6.5 km - 147/6:32
    July 7 - 4.4 km - 139/7:00
    July 8 - 5.7 km - ???/7:00
    July 9 - 6.0 km - 130/8:30
    July 10- 7.0 km - 146/5:54
    July 11- rest
    July 12- 9.0 km - 146/6:30
    July 13- 7.0 km - 157/6:00
    July 14- 7.7 km - 152/6:07

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k)
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 too funny. Actually they were $15.99 each in Academy and I paid $14.99 on Amazon. Did you think that was a lot for 1?

Yes, I thought $14.99 for one was a little high for a headband. But, of course, since it's for running, I did it. I got mine today! Quite the instructions on using a headband, lol. I will try it tomorrow I think. Got to take car to get maintenance before my big drive this weekend so not sure I can get a run in. It says to machine wash first but I don't know that I feel like doing that.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    We moved a few years ago and where the tree line is you can't see where the tornados come from. I miss sitting out in a storm looking at the changing sky. I am getting a bit less brave as I age. I'm trying to convince dh we need a 'fraidy hole. The house is an open lay out, I have no idea where to hide here.

I got a nice suprise gift today in the mail! St Jude sent me a nice running hat by headsweats and sweat proof yurbuds! The hat, like all my hat's, are too big for my child sized head though. Still awesome!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 My pre-/post run eating habits are probably not what you'd find as a suggestion in any book or running magazine, but they work for me B) ; So since you asked:

If I run in the morning and plan to be done in <90 minutes, I usually throw some juice and greek yoghurt in the blender and call that my pre-run shake. I just have regular breakfast (coffee, orange juice and cereals) after I come back.

For mornings before long runs, I need a bit more fuel before heading out - either just a boring bowl of cereals along with the shake, or preferrably crêpe with Nutella (LOL, a lof of people seem to believe the fact that I love to run means I eat healty stuff all the time - in truth, it's my excuse for decadently sugary breakfasts like that :p ).
    Since I'm so slow, my long runs take long enough that it's pretty much time for lunch when I come home, so I cook something quick with some carbs and proteins then - chicken wrap, some pizza with extra thick mozzarella, just beef burger meat with baguette and paprika - whatever I can prepare beforehand or stick in the oven / barbecue to cook while I take a shower and do some stretching. Or on hot days, when I don't want to eat a hot meal right away after running, a protein shake and a few scoops of mint-chocolate ice cream ;)

If I run in the evening, I usually don't eat dinner beforehand (just some joghurt or chocolate if I'm really, really hungry because I didn't have anything substantial for lunch at work); and then either some quick dinner (as above) afterwards, or I have a protein shake right after the run and then whatever else I want to eat for dinner a while later.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This week, I got three non-hot runs in so far; so awesome!
    The heat wave ended with some spectacular thunderstorms and rain on Tuesday afternoon.
    (Edit to add: no tornados, fortunately! I've never been in one, only seen them on TV, I think I'd be really scared!)
    Of course, the rain ment I got soaking wet on my bike ride home from work - I actually spent an hour on the couch, curled up with a blanket and a cup of tea, until I felt ready to face the elements again and go for a run. Which was just as well, because that way, the rain slowed to a drizzle just as I left the house.
    Yesterday and today were around 17C (~60F), just perfect for running. I didn't mind the rain yesterday at all. Today though, I was happy it's been mostly dry: it's the French national holiday, and while I had to work, a lot of people had the day off, and there was a little festival set up in the village center. I don't think I've ever met that many people when I'm out for a run in the evening. They started the fireworks just as I finished my run, that was fun to watch.

The week so far:
    Monday crosstraining (bike + YAYOG w3,d1 - at this rate, the 10-weeks-program in the YAYOG app will take me a year to complete...)
    Tuesday 6.5 km
    Wednesday 11.3 km
    Thursday 5.8 km + YAYOG w3,d2

Tomorrows going to be a rest day. And on the weekend, the heat is supposed to return *sigh*. Hopefully, I'll still get some longish runs in; I think I might be a little behind on my goal for the month so far.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

Yes, I thought $14.99 for one was a little high for a headband. But, of course, since it's for running, I did it. I got mine today! Quite the instructions on using a headband, lol. I will try it tomorrow I think. Got to take car to get maintenance before my big drive this weekend so not sure I can get a run in. It says to machine wash first but I don't know that I feel like doing that.

@ddmom0811 I didn't wash mine first since I decided just to grab it on the way out the door. I guess compared to your non moisture wicking type headband it is expensive.

We are also the land of tornadoes. The worst I've been through was 2011, they came through one after another. We didn't have electric for like 8 days, I could hardly get to Skip at school because of all the downed wires and trees, then we couldn't get home because of trees blocking the streets. We were driving on people's lawns and over curbs trying to get home. Skip's teacher has a video she took of the rotation right over the school. Skip said she could hear the debris hitting the school. I remember a coworker coming in and saying a big one touched down at a specific intersection, the intersection is less than a 1/4 mile from my house. It was heartbreaking. We ended up with one coming through a 1/4 mile south of my house and another a mile north of my house. Just insane. Macy is my tornado dog, storms don't bother her at all, if she gets nutty during a storm Skip gets in the bathroom. I've been through wild fires, hurricanes, earthquake and tornadoes. All are scary.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Thanks for sharing! :smile:
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Awesome @MNLittleFinn congrats!!!!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Tornadoes - I don't miss those. I grew up in Iowa and we had a fair number. We used to go out and watch the sky but one time it got a little too close so (tree and outbuilding damage only thank goodness) and now I'm much more chicken. Fortunately they are pretty rare here.

By the way @ddsmom0811 and @skippygirlsmom I bought the headband too! I wore it yesterday and liked it OK and then forgot to wear it today and thought "my head sure is sweaty". LOL so maybe it worked better than I thought!

Another evening run trying to wait out the heat a bit. It wasn't so bad but enough to be drenched with sweat. Our running group coach posted a message on facebook about the importance of base runs saying "The power of the base run depends on HOW many you do per week, NOT the pace of them nor the length in outrageous terms." So I went nice and slow and completed 2.12 miles. "Pace means nothing. Doing it means EVERYTHING"

Miles for July - 52% of goal

exercise.png
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Had an awesome 10K split between the non-bear ridden parts of trail x3 and town, 55:11 time total. I feel like my 10K in September might not even have a terrible time! And apparently I need to set my mileage higher in July :/ lol

07/01- 4.28km
    07/02- 5.01km
    07/03- Rest/Weights Day
    07/04- 5.48km
    07/05- Forced Rest Day (Husband OOT)
    07/06- Forced Rest Day (Husband OOT)
    07/07- 6.13km
    07/08- 6.13km
    07/09- 6.13km
    07/10- 3km
    07/11- 8.3km
    07/12- 4.5km
    07/13- 4.6km
    07/14- 10km

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    7/1: Rest/moving day
    7/2: 8 miles
    7/3: 3 miles
    7/4: 5.8 miles
    7/5: 8 miles
    7/6: 5 miles
    7/7: 5.2 miles (am)
    ......: 6.4 miles (pm)
    7/8: Rest day
    7/9: 5.8 miles (Belmar 5 miler: 37:42)
    7/10: 14.9 miles
    7/11: 3 miles with Monday coffee crew
    7/12: 5.7 miles (includes 5k XC race)
    7/13: 8 miles
    7/14: 7 miles (am)
    .......: 6.4 miles (pm)

Group run tonight was hellishly hot. When I walked over to the run a bit before 6:30, it was 91F with a "feels like" temperature of 99F, with fairly uncomfortable humidity. Luckily it got a bit cooler as we went along, but oh that first lap (3.4 miles) was HOT!! Luckily, it was one of our loyal running buddies' birthday, so after the run we got ice cream/milkshakes. However, I'll admit that even at 90+ degrees, this evening run felt much easier than my 72F, 100% humidity run this morning. Still I'm glad that I have a nice long rest day tomorrow, followed by a running group-accompanied 20 miler Saturday and a 10 mile team run on Sunday. Big, big weekend!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Via Marathon (Allentown, PA)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Cool gift!
    @_nikkiwolf_ I love Nutella. Mmmmm....
    @MNLittleFinn Great race!
    @JessicaMcB You can raise your goal this month ;)

4 days and I'm getting sick of this diet. And by diet I mean barely staying under 2000 calories. Sigh.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    7/14: 12 miles (9 mile hike, 3 mile high incline treadmill)

Monthly total: 92.75/100 miles
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Better run today. I told myself that no matter how my legs complained I was going to ignore them and just enjoy being out and running. They did and I did and it ended up being a pretty nice run. Have a short and easy run planned for tomorrow and a long run on Saturday. We are going to the Hollywood Bowl for a concert Friday night so I am not sure how the run will be Saturday morning. It is usually a late night so getting up early will be a challenge.

@ddmom0811 - my first thought when I looked at the picture wasn't the sit pack but Holy Crap look at the muscles in her calves! Also you look great!
    @ceciliaslater, @skippygirlsmom and @elise4270 and anyone else in tornado country - I will take our occasional rocking and rolling to your tornadoes any day!
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 - pre and post run fueling... I run in the morning and need to eat just a little when I very first get up, so usually it is coffee and either half or a whole protein bar depending on how I feel and how far I am running. When I get home I usually have a string cheese and water immediately and my breakfast (Greek yogurt, fresh berries or compote, and granola) later in the morning. Sometimes after a long run I have chocolate milk and or a protein shake with Greek yogurt, frozen or fresh berries, other fruit and peanut butter and protein powder.
    @ddmom0811 and @skippygirlsmom - I pay about much for my sweatybands head bands and they don't have the cooling component. They work great for staying in place no matter what I am doing (agility, running, training)
    @MNLittleFinn - Congratulations on the PRs - great job!
    @AdrianChr92 - you know your body best and where you are ability wise and what you are ready to do. That said I would have a really hard time giving up a free race entry and especially one to the RnR HM in Dublin!
    @JessicaMcB - you blasted through that goal! I think you need to reset to a new number for July! Great Job!!

Date.........Miles........Total
    07/01.......6.28.........6.28
    07/02.......7.36.......13.64
    07/03.......0.00.......13.64
    07/04.....13.50.......27.14 - ShePower Virtual HM
    07/05.......4.13.......31.27 - + Strength Training
    07/06.......0.00.......31.27
    07/07.......5.63.......36.90 - + Strength Training & Rally
    07/08.......5.38.......42.28
    07/09.......0.00.......42.28
    07/10.......0.00.......42.28
    07/11.......7.72.......50.00 - + Agility
    07/12.......5.59.......55.59 - + Strength Training
    07/13.......0.00.......55.59
    07/14.......5.72.......61.31 - + Strength Training & Rally

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - join us here in Oklahoma and you can enjoy both! Lol.

I got home from work to find that the power was out. Looks like it went out around 12:30 pm Thursday and is still out as of 3:00am on Friday. We had been running the generator to keep our refrigerator, water heater, and well pump running, but another storm is now rolling in, so we have to turn it off and cover it (it is wired directly to the breaker box and the electrical panel is exposed to the elements, not permanently wired in). Guess I'll be showering at work in the morning... at least maybe I can get some sleep now, because the noisy generator had been keeping me up.