Anxiety

Options
jaelynsmith
jaelynsmith Posts: 82 Member
Let's talk about anxiety and depression and how it affects our goals. Anyone else struggle with this? <3

Replies

• XnRGrandpa
    XnRGrandpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have the trifecta; depression, anxiety, and PTSD. Yes, definitely makes some days far more complicated than others.
  • jaelynsmith
    Options
    XnRGrandpa wrote: »
    I have the trifecta; depression, anxiety, and PTSD. Yes, definitely makes some days far more complicated than others.

What keeps you motivated on the bad days?
  • sjsandover
    sjsandover Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Affects me daily unfortunately and on the bad days nothing could possibly motivate me!
  • XnRGrandpa
    XnRGrandpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options

When depressed, I just try and force myself, though I know that's easier said than done. Usually 30 minutes on my bike trainer and I feel refreshed. It's a nice distraction. The anxiety doesn't affect my motivation so much, and when it hits I just wait and ride it out, and the PTSD so far hasn't been an issue in regards to my diet/exercise/motivation (knock on wood). *note: Medications - Been there, done that. Got tired of feeling like a guinea pig.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I suffered from depression a few times over the years...for a while, I took medications and saw a counselor. Neither really worked, I think I had to find my own happiness, and had to find the way to deal with stress and life issues without those.....I find working out helps ALOT. Its hard when you're down to MAKE yourself do that workout, but once you get started you're usually happier that you did, once those darned endorphin's start doing their jobs! Taking ME time makes a huge difference, even if I'm not doing anything during that time.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options

If it's bad enough, nothing. Then I give myself a break, because I feel I obviously need it. If I'm able, I try to push thru, even if it's just to take a walk.
  • jaelynsmith
    Options
    sjsandover wrote: »
    Affects me daily unfortunately and on the bad days nothing could possibly motivate me!

Same here :(
  • jaelynsmith
    Options

When depressed, I just try and force myself, though I know that's easier said than done. Usually 30 minutes on my bike trainer and I feel refreshed. It's a nice distraction. The anxiety doesn't affect my motivation so much, and when it hits I just wait and ride it out, and the PTSD so far hasn't been an issue in regards to my diet/exercise/motivation (knock on wood). *note: Medications - Been there, done that. Got tired of feeling like a guinea pig.

Thank you for your response <3 medication made me worse. I got tired of being triggered all day everyday instead of once or twice <3
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it , it makes me want to do nothing but roll up in bed

More significantly it makes me want to eat or drink for comfort

Which isn't good for dieting obviously
  • lilbitmeme
    lilbitmeme Posts: 89 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have PTSD amd panic disorder and naturally that leads to depression.
    Did meds for a long time and that just made me lazy and totally unmotivated. When I figured out my food allergies last year I have found that "most" I can Control by diet and exercise but I still have bad days. And those days I try my best not to hide and keep myself closed in.
    Yesterday I cried twice in the morning and had no idea what my problem was so I took my dog to the beach for the day and played in the sun and then two of my friends showed up and we chilled all day.
    It helps to have friends that know what it means when I go MIA
  • lina1016
    lina1016 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this daily. But I hide it very well behind smiles and sarcasm. Can't do anything about it, I will never take medication for it. I think it all has to do with our mindset honestly.
  • jaelynsmith
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    I struggle with it , it makes me want to do nothing but roll up in bed

More significantly it makes me want to eat or drink for comfort

Which isn't good for dieting obviously

Same here. I struggle with emotional eating as well. <3
  • jaelynsmith
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses <3
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

I have bipolar, anxiety and PTSD.
    lilbitmeme wrote: »
    I have PTSD amd panic disorder and naturally that leads to depression.
    Did meds for a long time and that just made me lazy and totally unmotivated. When I figured out my food allergies last year I have found that "most" I can Control by diet and exercise but I still have bad days. And those days I try my best not to hide and keep myself closed in.
    Yesterday I cried twice in the morning and had no idea what my problem was so I took my dog to the beach for the day and played in the sun and then two of my friends showed up and we chilled all day.
    It helps to have friends that know what it means when I go MIA

I'm sad to see how many people share this, as these are things I wouldn't wish on anyone.
    I do take meds, see a therapist and go to a group. I try to exercise daily and do one good thing for myself every day.

@Louise1491 I also find that exercise does wonders for my mood and anxiety.

I used to be an emotional eater but I somehow became an emotional starver. Can't eat a thing when I'm upset. Small silver lining in my black cloud.
  • jaelynsmith
    Options

I used to be an emotional eater but I somehow became an emotional starver. Can't eat a thing when I'm upset. Small silver lining in my black cloud. [/quote]

Any amount of emotional eating/starving is not a healthy relationship with food. <3 I'm sorry you deal with so much :s
  • jaelynsmith
    Options
    Does anyone have BDD(body dysmoprphic disorder)?
  • pie_eyes
    Options
    Yes
  • pie_eyes
    Options
    I don't like meds
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I have taken antidepressants before when my anxiety gets very bad. I'm now off meds and try to manage my symptoms with regular exercise - especially brisk walks along the seafront. I also sing in a choir which is a great boost for my mood and helps regulate breathing.