Anxiety

Options

Replies

• jaelynsmith
    jaelynsmith Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Let's talk about anxiety and depression and how it affects our goals. Anyone else struggle with this? <3

I would talk about it but I get anxious and depressed when I do!

J/K - Been vocal about it in many thread on MFP having dealt with this myself for years. Suffice to say, never had to medicate, but use moderated, better eating and exercise to keep things balanced.

And that works great for a lot of people <3 thank you for your response
  • jaelynsmith
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    struggled with this for 15 years

i hate it , i hate prescription meds for it even more

sometimes i do not even want to breathe

Oh, hon. I'm so very sorry. I know that feeling all too well :( I've had Anxiety, depression, and mild PTSD since I was little little. I would say about 15 years as well. Wouldn't wish this on anyone.
  • Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    Yes

<3<3 thank you for answering and being honest. Not many people like to talk about BDD... I just barely started telling people and they don't believe me.

Whats BDD?
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Antd420 wrote: »
    Yes

<3<3 thank you for answering and being honest. Not many people like to talk about BDD... I just barely started telling people and they don't believe me.

Whats BDD?

Body dismorphic disorder.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have BDD(body dysmoprphic disorder)?

BDD + ED. It's a lot of why I spin my wheels on fitness - if I go all out, I get obsessive, and angry with myself if I don't meet my goals or look a certain way (and BDD prevents me from ever really being happy). If I slack off and gain weight, I end up in a really dark place full of self-loathing. I walk a fine line trying to stay physically and mentally healthy. It's hard.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Listen, OP, medication does work. Just take it as prescribed. Medicine is for everyone. We are not in neanderthal times.

I have to politely disagree sort of. Some medicines may work, however in the US the pharmaceutical companies push drugs to doctors who in turn push drugs on patients regardless of if they will help or not just to get a kick back from said companies. It's a vicious cycle, and a lot of the drugs don't help, or just mask the problem in turn causing more problems and we have far too many people walking around in a fog or haze for lack of better words. The medical industry here is quite frankly horrible. Unfortunately in this day and age it is very very rare to meet a doctor that actually sincerely cares about your well being, they just push the drugs, and push you out the door so they can be on to the next person to push the drugs on so they can push the money into their wallets at the end of the day.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Listen, OP, medication does work. Just take it as prescribed. Medicine is for everyone. We are not in neanderthal times.

legit now wheres my cannabis

uh oh will i get a strike for saying cannabis

probably
  • XnRGrandpa
    XnRGrandpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »

Medicine just doesn't help everyone. Especially if you get some of the side effects.

Agreed. Sure, many worked but the side effects were often unbearable. One med in particular worked great but, even at a moderate dosage, it caused major muscle twitches that were, at the least, annoying, but embarrassing when in public and around friends. It gets tiring explaining "it's my meds." And that wasn't even the worst of the side effects I've experienced.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options

I have to politely disagree sort of. Some medicines may work, however in the US the pharmaceutical companies push drugs to doctors who in turn push drugs on patients regardless of if they will help or not just to get a kick back from said companies. It's a vicious cycle, and a lot of the drugs don't help, or just mask the problem in turn causing more problems and we have far too many people walking around in a fog or haze for lack of better words. The medical industry here is quite frankly horrible. Unfortunately in this day and age it is very very rare to meet a doctor that actually sincerely cares about your well being, they just push the drugs, and push you out the door so they can be on to the next person to push the drugs on so they can push the money into their wallets at the end of the day.

i dread the day my doctor retires he delivered me from the womb has been my doctor ever since

i know he actually genuinely gives a fvck about me and has never ever pushed any medication on me even tho i think a lot of doctors would of
  • Antd420
    Options
    Yes

Whats BDD?

So would I have BDD if I sometimes avoid taking my shirt off because of stretch marks and scars?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I'm not anti-medication. My brother's new meds have greatly improved his quality of life and maybe even saved it. However "Medicine is for everyone" and "Just take it as prescribed" are far too simplistic sentiments.

My brother previously took lots of meds as prescribed to no avail. My neighbor took lots of meds as prescribed with side effects that were worse than the original symptom. My friend is managing just fine on cannabis - thank goodness legal medical uses are becoming more and more common.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Let's talk about anxiety and depression and how it affects our goals. Anyone else struggle with this? <3

For anxiety, I love exercise. Anxiety triggers the flight-or-fight response and exercise is a natural outlet.

Exercise helps me with depression as well. I have to force myself to start, but am fine once I get going. One thing that helps me is taking a shower. For some reason a shower changes my state and I am more motivated to go exercise. I don't mind showering twice and am not doing the complete routine each time.

I used to be an emotional eater and am very happy that I have now successfully channeled that into exercise.
  • Antd420
    Options
    I did a 4 year bit in prison, got out 6 yrs ago and have had anxiety, depression, and sometimes extreme anger. Currently on Prozac, Klonopin, and Ambien. I feel fine most days, I noticed if I miss a workout it throws me off. Meds do work for some people, Marijuana is also a really good medication for depression and anxiety.

PTSD? Maybe? I'm glad you're out of there and bettering your life <3
    If Maryjane was legal here, I would eat Brownies, for sure. But losing my children isn't worth it <3

I hear you on that. Where do you live? Maybe PTSD I've been through and seen a lot of traumatic situations in my 4 yrs locked up.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Medication?

Medication isn't for everyone, my friend

What do you mean by that, OP? Are you against medication, does medication not help you, or what? (I am a long-time depression sufferer, 25+ years)
  • jaelynsmith
    Options
    Yes

Whats BDD?

Body dismorphic disorder
  • jaelynsmith
    Options
    Does anyone have BDD(body dysmoprphic disorder)?

BDD + ED. It's a lot of why I spin my wheels on fitness - if I go all out, I get obsessive, and angry with myself if I don't meet my goals or look a certain way (and BDD prevents me from ever really being happy). If I slack off and gain weight, I end up in a really dark place full of self-loathing. I walk a fine line trying to stay physically and mentally healthy. It's hard.

I feel the same way <3<3
  • jaelynsmith
    Options

This!!!
  • jaelynsmith
    Options
    Yes

Whats BDD?

So would I have BDD if I sometimes avoid taking my shirt off because of stretch marks and scars?

Maybe... When I look in the mirror I don't see what other people see... I see lopsided facial features, I see a huge forehead, I see double chin, and belly rolls... It's a complex diagnosis and is different for each individual <3
  • jaelynsmith
    Options
    Medication?

Medication isn't for everyone, my friend

What do you mean by that, OP? Are you against medication, does medication not help you, or what? (I am a long-time depression sufferer, 25+ years)

It didn't help me. It made Me worse. It helps a lot of people. I am pro do whatever helps you <3