How can I motivate my boyfriend to workout with me?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    If he wanted to work out in a gym he would have been doing it before you met. Go ahead and do your thing.
    sijomial wrote: »
    Alternatively how could your boyfriend motivate you to be more sporty, eat a burger, have a few beers after a game of slo-pitch?

Tip from someone who has just celebrated 33 years married - you can and should make room for your own interests within a successful relationship. It would be really dull if you always did the same things and thought the same way.

These
    A whole bunch of these

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You are trying to change him and if you try to get him to do this with you more than twice and he continues to resist, any further attempts will be nagging.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    You are trying to change him and if you try to get him to do this with you more than twice and he continues to resist, any further attempts will be nagging.

You think twice is okay?

Brower
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Just tell him how you feel. Tell him you think it would be a good thing to do as a couple and youd really like to try it. A good bf will see how happy it would make you and try it out if he says no he wont try it then hes a butthead
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »
    Just tell him how you feel. Tell him you think it would be a good thing to do as a couple and youd really like to try it. A good bf will see how happy it would make you and try it out if he says no he wont try it then hes a butthead

Seriously? We are buttheads if we have no interest in trying something our significant others enjoy? Why?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    I don't know why everyone is suggesting you just go do your own thing without him. I think it's great you want to spend more time with him and want him to accompany you to the gym. I hope you find a good strategy that works. I agree that if he doesn't want to join you, you should still go. But I think it's a very worthy goal to try to get him to go with you. You're a good gf.

There is nothing more annoying than a person who does this...if he has no interest it will just be nagging...nobody likes to be nagged...I'd kick someone to the curb in a heartbeat if they did this...if I wanted to go, I'd go...he obviously doesn't.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I haven't been together for very long but in the time we have spent together I've found that my workouts have slipped a bit, mostly because I've been prioritizing my time with him over my gym time. I don't want this to continue because working out is a very important part of my life and I don't want to lose that. My boyfriend is very "sporty" but in terms of "healthy", well, let's just say he'd rather eat a burger and have a few beers after a slo-pitch game as opposed to going for a run. I'd really love to find a way to include him in my workouts as I think it would be something fun for us to do together, and I also think it would have benefits for him as well. I don't want to come across as "naggy" or that I'm trying to "change" him though... any advice on how to broach this subject?

I've got a few tricks that help sometimes. You have to find out what motivates him.

I am such a nag.
    "You'll be faster and stronger..."
    "Join in for just ten minutes..."
    "Abs"
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Let him do him, you do you and when you get together do each other, if he can't keep up tell him you'll train him if he wants

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Seriously? We are buttheads if we have no interest in trying something our significant others enjoy? Why?

Right? I read that comment and was like "what the what?"

This just in, in order to be a decent SO you have to do EVERY SINGLE THING your partner likes, or else you're a "butthead".
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Just do your own thing. If he want's to join you he will. My husband tags along sometimes but most times he doesn't and that's perfect. I actually love my workout time, my gym is my sanctuary, I do my own thing, I don't have to wait for anybody or feel like I need to work faster to keep up. I go at my own pace and do what I want. I just ask him to spot me from time to time :wink:
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    this is great insight into the female mind. The best thing to do is keep the lid on the crazy jar until at least a year into the relationship, then let it out slowly lol
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Start prioritizing gym time. Work out, and eventually he will see how happy you are being healthy and active and I am sure he will want to join you.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Let him do what he wants, is he forcing you to spend time with him over going to the gym? No? Then that's your problem. Even if he was forcing you, it would still be your problem for letting him control you.

Couples don't HAVE to do everything together.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    this is great insight into the female mind. The best thing to do is keep the lid on the crazy jar until at least a year into the relationship, then let it out slowly lol

Not all girls are this crazy lol.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    I would just invite him to workout with you, but if he doesn't want to I would drop it. And then I would schedule my workout and if he complains then I would just tell him he can come along with you, but you need to work out whether he comes with you or not. Just let him know that your workouts are a priority for you.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    Options

A good girlfriend wouldn't try and force a guy to do what she wants.

Apparently I should of been born a man if this is how all women think, ffs.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I hate this "good boyfriend / girlfriend" stuff. It doesn't sound like people treating other people as people. Maybe I am just old.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    I hate this "good boyfriend / girlfriend" stuff. It doesn't sound like people treating other people as people. Maybe I am just old.

I must be old too lol
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    OP - be careful what you wish for. Anyone who has been in a relationship with someone who runs at a significantly different pace or climbs at a significantly different level of difficulty knows that trying to work out together can be a PITA. Even lifting can be a pain if you are swapping out multiple plates.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's just one of those things. You can't force him to workout with you, and the more you ask him the more he will feel forced. I would love to workout with my partner, but he's more interested in taking computers apart for fun (which is fine too). Time alone in a relationship is so valuable, so I'd suggest getting into the habit early on.