Kettlebells

Options
1235»

Replies

• pefal1
    pefal1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    You are doing a different kind of program than I'm accustomed to. Looks like it's intended to be cardio if it
    s 30 reps in one set. Strength is typically lower reps with heavier weights. Some different exercises too. That doesn't mean bad, it could be exactly what you are looking for. If the program calls for 30 reps then you can only go as heavy as you can accomplish that.

Here is a link to more traditional kettlebell exercises. There are programs in the back of it and you will notice that they are fairly low rep but perhaps high sets. I'm not suggesting that you change what you are doing, but you might want read it.

I've been doing way too much pressing and am wearing out my shoulders so I've decided to do something different starting Monday. I think I'll choose from the book I just put in that link. Thanks for causing me to think of it ;0)

Thanks! It's always fun to switch things up. Yea it's more a cardio then strength training - which is good for me for now. Wouldn't mind working up to strength training. So do you think a workout described could get someone fit and strong still? I usually mix in some 2 min of jump rope intervals which is awesome cardio but I don't have the right shoes or something it's killing my inner ankles :/
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy things makes you stronger. I'm not being critical of your protocol and you are paying attention to instruction of good technique taught by qualified instructors. I was just pointing to a wider view of kettelbells since you like them as a fitness tool.

You may have noticed that I point to Dan John quite often. One of his big things is 1. Where are you now? 2. What is your goal? 3. What do you "need" to do to reach your goal. 4. Keep the goal the goal. It's amazing how hard that is for most of us to get right.
  • pefal1
    Options
    I know you weren't being critical! And I appreciate your responses. My goal is to loose 20lbs as of now I am loosing 2 lbs per week. My concern is making sure all of my blood sweat and tears is making it all worth it because it's being done right. Not to make me skinny but strong and fit/ healthy. I have always had a strong build and just trying to work with what I've got and accepting my athletic genes as a bleeding not a curse haha. I don't have time to go to a gym so I think kettlebells is a good alternate?

• dlm7507
    Options
    I'm clearly a fan of the kettlebell, my picture says so ;0)
  • pefal1
    Options
    Meant to say blessing not bleeding.. Haha. Haha yep I can tell
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    You are doing a different kind of program than I'm accustomed to. Looks like it's intended to be cardio if it
    s 30 reps in one set. Strength is typically lower reps with heavier weights. Some different exercises too. That doesn't mean bad, it could be exactly what you are looking for. If the program calls for 30 reps then you can only go as heavy as you can accomplish that.

Here is a link to more traditional kettlebell exercises. There are programs in the back of it and you will notice that they are fairly low rep but perhaps high sets. I'm not suggesting that you change what you are doing, but you might want read it.

I've been doing way too much pressing and am wearing out my shoulders so I've decided to do something different starting Monday. I think I'll choose from the book I just put in that link. Thanks for causing me to think of it ;0)

Looked at that link - really a lot of good info, thanks.
  • archon
    archon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    +1 for RKC. I was playing with kettlebells on and off for years - only when I read "enter the kettlebell" by Pavel Tsatsouline did I get it. One of his videos is in the thread above and his book can be found in various formats on the net. I upgraded to a 24kg cast iron kettlebell because this is what he says is the standard russian army weight. I do 45min straight on alternate days, 5 minutes of turkish get up to warm up then whatever i feel like but 5 reps per set centered around military press/ladders/swings/windmills and snatches. The first session I thought i was going to die with the new weight - i slept like a log after - but it gets easier every session its true that you make rapid strength improvements with these things. Like Pavel says (take with a pinch of salt) "Melt the fat without the dishonour of aerobics" :)
  • dlm7507
    Options
    Here's an article on the swing as a fat burner.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Look up Dan John's 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge. It'll keep you busy for a month.
    https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    kota4bye wrote: »
    Look up Dan John's 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge. It'll keep you busy for a month.
    https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout

I wouldn't recommend jumping into this unless you've been swinging kettlebells for a while! It's next on my list after I conquer the Simple goal in Simple and Sinister, but from what I've read the tips on the 10,000 swing challenge are to be able to comfortably swing 200-300 times per day before you start if you don't want to collapse after day three. :)
  • pefal1
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @kota4bye I did a tabata kettlebell workout the other day and it has a lot of swings like this work out does. 40 swings 40 one handed each side 40 handoffs and them quads were shakin haha. First time I felt the burn of kettlebell swings! I am definitely gonna check this out! Thanks
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Did the 10000 swing challenge. Hard but awesome at stripping fat.
  • dlm7507
    Options
    At he moment I'm bumping up the weight of the bell(s) and doing sets of lower reps. Actually I'm replacing swings with cleans quite a bit now. Still a hinge.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Did the 10000 swing challenge. Hard but awesome at stripping fat.

Just curious-what weight bell did you use, and did you do it one or two handed? I was thinking when I do it I will use my 35lb bell; I can fairly easily do 100 swings with 50lbs, but I figured 35lbs was more doable for a longer period of time...my aim is to do it at the end of the summer, hopefully by then I will have smashed the Simple goal in Simple&Sinister.
  • robertwilson009
    robertwilson009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I heard and have seen that kettlebells are the great piece of fitness equipment that you can use to focus on any body part for workout. Internet is full of kettlebell information nowadays as they are attracting every fitness enthusiast attention towards them. I found this short and nice video on full body kettlebell workout that I usually do to get good results.