Calvin Klein 'PLUS SIZE' model

Options

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    99cm hips is 39 inches... A size 10 (astm)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    A clothing SIZE can not be UNDERWEIGHT. I don't even understand that.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I find her stats kind of confusing honestly as mine are similar and I'm a size 2-4 depending on brand. She's an inch taller and 8 pounds heavier and yet several sizes larger...very curious. Otherwise though, I have no effs to give- one of my cousins has been doing high fashion modelling for more than a decade, Italian Vogue, the works and if you stood her next to this lady the plus sized model would LOOK plus sized. I look at it as a comparative term, she can't be too disparaged by it given how much money she's making off being the pinnacle of all this buzz.

They are likely talking about European sizing.

But even then a US 2/4 is a UK 4/6, how is she a 10? Maybe she has really ample hips or something and that accounts for it but its confusing imo and makes me wonder if she's actually a smaller size and they're just playing up the plus size angle by saying she's a 10.

I'm 5'9" and 146, and my measurements are between 8 and 10 US. If you read through the height/weight/size threads, you'll see it's not unusual.

I'm guessing it's probably frame size. I have a fairly wide pelvis and broad shoulders, so even at the low end of the BMI scale (128 lbs at my lowest) I could never fit into anything smaller than a 6.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I find her stats kind of confusing honestly as mine are similar and I'm a size 2-4 depending on brand. She's an inch taller and 8 pounds heavier and yet several sizes larger...very curious. Otherwise though, I have no effs to give- one of my cousins has been doing high fashion modelling for more than a decade, Italian Vogue, the works and if you stood her next to this lady the plus sized model would LOOK plus sized. I look at it as a comparative term, she can't be too disparaged by it given how much money she's making off being the pinnacle of all this buzz.

But even then a US 2/4 is a UK 4/6, how is she a 10? Maybe she has really ample hips or something and that accounts for it but its confusing imo and makes me wonder if she's actually a smaller size and they're just playing up the plus size angle by saying she's a 10.

I'm 5'9" and 146, and my measurements are between 8 and 10 US. If you read through the height/weight/size threads, you'll see it's not unusual.

I'm guessing it's probably frame size. I have a fairly wide pelvis and broad shoulders, so even at the low end of the BMI scale (128 lbs at my lowest) I could never fit into anything smaller than a 6.

Maybe I'm the bizarre one then, just seemed weird. I'd say maybe I'm buying some crazy vanity sized clothing but I'm consistently a 26-27 inch or 2/4 in jeans everywhere I've gone :/ . But another reason we shouldn't give these labels so much power, they don't seem to mean much (other than this chick is making bank haha).
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    A UK size 10 is like USA size 8. That is a "medium" and nowhere even close to a plus size.
  • DebSozo
    Options
  • DebSozo
    Options

Maybe I'm the bizarre one then, just seemed weird. I'd say maybe I'm buying some crazy vanity sized clothing but I'm consistently a 26-27 inch or 2/4 in jeans everywhere I've gone :/ . But another reason we shouldn't give these labels so much power, they don't seem to mean much (other than this chick is making bank haha).

What is your actual waist size with a measuring tape? According to the chart I found a size 24 waist is a USA size 6.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

What is your actual waist size with a measuring tape? According to the chart I found a size 24 waist is a USA size 6.

According to Victoria's Secret: a Size 6 waist, is 27" & a Size 0 waist, is 24".

https://www.victoriassecret.com/global/sizefitchart?category=Clothing
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options

According to Victoria's Secret: a Size 6 waist, is 27" & a Size 0 waist, is 24".

https://www.victoriassecret.com/global/sizefitchart?category=Clothing

Yeah. I found some others that had different numbers also. Interestingly I saw that there is no mandatory clothing size standard in the USA. Although there are a series of voluntary standards in place.

Evidently the models are preferably 5'8" to 5'11" a size 4-6 US with bust 34". But sometimes that dips down lower.

In the real world, off the rack, plus is size 14/16 and above. For models size 8 and above is plus
    .http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/news/a18375/plus-sized-models/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    @rainbowbow that is a truly impressive response post

Awesome
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    A UK size 10 is like USA size 8. That is a "medium" and nowhere even close to a plus size.

Nope. US is two sizes down from UK. Our 10 is your 6 and a small. Usually a 28" waist depending on manufacturer. I buy clothing from around the world and and am a seamstress who uses modern and vintage patterns so am a bit of a geek about sizing, modern and vintage.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm a UK (sometime 8), mainly 10-12, my gap jeans are a US 4 there is no consistency either side of Atlantic
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options

Nope. US is two sizes down from UK. Our 10 is your 6 and a small. Usually a 28" waist depending on manufacturer. I buy clothing from around the world and and am a seamstress who uses modern and vintage patterns so am a bit of a geek about sizing, modern and vintage.

Okay, perfect. This model has measurements of 93/71/99 (centimeters) , 1.8 m tall, and BMI 21.3. That would be about 37/28/39 inches (I rounded up bust). That would make her a USA size 10 and UK size 14 by your calculations, and she is almost 5'11". But size 10 USA is not plus.
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Edited due to insomnia. I couldn't sleep :(
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Okay, perfect. This model has measurements of 93/71/99 (centimeters) , 1.8 m tall, and BMI 21.3. That would be about 37/28/39 inches (I rounded up bust). That would make her a USA size 10 and UK size 6 by your calculations, and she is almost 5'11".

... I don't know why you keep misinterpreting this. US is 2 sizes down.

She would be a US size 10 or UK size 14.
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Okay, perfect. This model has measurements of 93/71/99 (centimeters) , 1.8 m tall, and BMI 21.3. That would be about 37/28/39 inches (I rounded up bust). That would make her a USA size 10 and UK size 6 by your calculations, and she is almost 5'11".

... I don't know why you keep misinterpreting this. US is 2 sizes down.

She would be a US size 10 or UK size 14.

-- was having insomnia and confusion with conversions on international sizing. Thanks. With OP model's measurements then, she would be a size 10 UK (according to the international seamstress) and a USA size 6. I was attempting to compare her size 10 and 28" waist to the standard model size of 34/24/34 inches.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options

And also, yes, there's no reason to have normal looking models. if they could just pick up any mary sue off the side of the road to be a model then anyone can do their job.

http://www.eonline.com/news/665905/target-chooses-real-women-to-model-in-their-new-swimwear-campaign-take-a-look
  • DebSozo
    Options
    AliceAxe wrote: »

And also, yes, there's no reason to have normal looking models. if they could just pick up any mary sue off the side of the road to be a model then anyone can do their job.

http://www.eonline.com/news/665905/target-chooses-real-women-to-model-in-their-new-swimwear-campaign-take-a-look

Yaay! That is terrific.
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Rainbowbow, when I pick out clothes from a catalog it is easier to relate to the model if she isn't on the verge of underweight. Then models would still be beautiful and wouldn't have to strain so hard to keep within such small proportions. I would love to see models who are in a mid-normal BMI represented.