Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Hot topics! Sugar in fruit

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dykask wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Honestly, it sounds like you're conflating cravings for hyperpalatable foods (dessert) with real hunger. If I eat Cheez-Its, I crave more, even if I just had a filling meal.

^This...

No! I've dealt with the hunger for well over a decade. It has nothing to do with cravings. I didn't crave more ice cream or something else. My hunger want more real food. Hunger pains are not cravings. It is amazing to me that some people can't accept a simple fact. What makes you think you can understand the difference between hunger and cravings and I can't?

For me cutting way back on added sugar has greatly reduced my hunger between meals. Typically I don't eat until I'm completely full, so I'll feel like I could eat but don't need to. After 4 or maybe 5 hours normal type hunger starts. That is normal. What used to happen is within two hours of eating I would be feeling seriously hungry. That can't be normal but I sure many people experience it. That probably is why there is so much snacking. I no longer even have the desire to snack.

Once you've dieted down and then bulked and cut some you'll see what people are saying with this. Many of us have been through an adjustment period where we realized what we thought was hunger wasn't really hunger. It won't make sense until you experience it.

That is fine for you, but it isn't me. First my hunger is less than just when I maintaining. Second I know that adding sugar now causes the hunger to come back. I'm not claiming this would be the same for everyone, but it how it works for me.

You are not a special snowflake...

I'm not a snowflake at all. However I'm realizing there is a lot of fruitcake floating around here.

Perfect, resort to name calling. Way to further your hopeless argument...

Read a little ... the attacks on me are pretty nutty.

You are confusing an attack with correcting mis-information.

WHAT you did is working and that is great. Having said that, it is not working for the reasons you THINK it is. You have the HOW confused with the WHAT. It is clear to me that you are beyond reasoning with because you can't fight faith with facts...

You are the one that is ignoring facts and then making up stuff. How I started and where I am today are two different things. It is only added sugar that I'm cutting. Everything else is the same as what I successfully used before to drop close to 30 pounds. When I add sugar I end up being very hungry way too soon. Removing the extra sugar resolves that issue for me.

For some reason you can accept my statement. That doesn't mean I'm wrong and your are right. However I have the facts.

Do you understand that ice cream has more ingredients than just sugar? When you stop eating ice cream you are reducing more than just the sugar. You are reducing calories from sugar as well as fats. Any other desserts that you would cut out would be the same.

You also stopped putting sugar in your oatmeal, but replaced it with raisins. Raisins, like all dried fruits, have high concentrations of sugars. So you didn't really cut your sugar there...

Wrong! Stop assuming things. I have always put raisins in my oatmeal. I cut the sugar. I started with the ice cream but after that I just removed sugar. ONLY SUGAR

Why are so many so hell bent on defending sugar? It is really quite insane.

Because the spread of misinformation makes me twitchy.

If you're SO SURE it's the added sugar specifically (which is weird that you don't have problems with natural sugars from a low-fiber fruit like a banana, or other carbs) and not sugar+fat or sugar+salt or sugar+fat+salt, how about eating 2-3 tbsp of table sugar by itself in between meals and tell us how you feel? If you're suddenly hungry, I recommend writing in to endocrinologists and dieticians so they can study you. Maybe you're the solution to the world's obesity problems!

It isn't weird at all the fruit is okay and I don't know that I wouldn't do even better by cutting back on fruit, I simply haven't tried that. Sugar in fruit is going to be a lot slower getting into the blood stream that sugar added to food. A banana isn't a low fiber as you imply. A typical banana has 3 gram of fiber and one of those grams is soluble fiber which is 1/8 of the minimum soluble fiber one should get daily.

Last night I did look a the effects of cutting back on sugar and at least half the pages mentions reducing hunger. So what I'm describing isn't actually that uncommon.

I might be wrong here, but didn't someone say earlier that ice cream, a food with added sugar, has the similar impact as an apple, a food without added sugar but contains sugar?

ETA - yes, page 10. Stevencloser. I double checked. An apple has almost the same GI as a bowl of ice cream (I chose the option for the premium stuff)

I said ice cream, it wasn't a bowl of ice cream, I don't even know where to buy ice cream like that in Japan. It was typically ice cream bars. My favorite was similar to a Klondike bar, only a lot better chocolate.

Additionally you can't just go by GI, that only indicates per gram. It really doesn't make a difference if the GI is high but only tiny amounts are consumed. GL (glycemic load) is what you should be looking at, that indicates what the impact will be to blood sugar for a serving of something. Then you have to factor in how much of something is eaten. A serving of an apple is pretty large, a serving of ice cream is tiny.

And the glycemic load of an apple vs ice cream is the same, 6.
    A serving of ice cream is a half a cup. I do not consider that tiny nor do I consider an apple a large serving.

A typical ice cream bar is 300 kc. That is about 2.5 servings. 2.5 apples takes a lot longer to eat.

There are a lot of reasonable icy treats in Japan, I just wasn't into them. My kids and wife prefer those. (Basically favored ice.)

A serving of ice cream is 1/2 cup. That said, the calories in a serving of ice cream can vary. 300 calories of ice cream is not 2.5 servings...

You are just making things up as you go along. A lot of servings of ice cream are 120 kc. 300 kc / 120 kc = 2.5.
    My favorite ice cream when I was in the states was 120 kc in the $1 single server containers ... I know this pretty well.

No, the standard serving size for ice cream is .5 cup, period. The calories range from around 200, on the low end, to over 300. For premium (what we are talking about), I'd assume more fat, so probably closer to 300.

Saying you cut dressing, ice cream, and nuts sure sounds like you are mostly cutting fat, to me. Like I said upthread, a primarily sugary dressing seems weird (and disgusting) to me.

You are doubling, counting 1 cup as a 1/2 cup. http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/ice-cream
    shows 267 calories in 1 cup.

There is also wide ranges in GI & GL even for the same type of fruit. I don't put much faith in that. For example search on apple: http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php

It just depends on the type of ice cream.
    Edy's Slow Churned is usually 100-150 cals/serving
    Talenti Gelato is 200-250 cals/serving
    Ben and Jerrys usually 250-350 cals/serving

The whole debate is absurd. By calories the desert I liked the most in Japan was 300 kc. About 60g ice cream and the rest a rich chocolate covering. 300 kc is 2.5 good sized apples. By claiming higher calories it just means it would take more apples.

That is why fruit is probably safe, you have to eat a huge amount of it to get the same effect. Besides that there are a lot of claims around fruit in how it slows or prevents the absorption of fructose.

Anyway GI & GL are about glucose and not fructose. I think people keep confusing glucose (which is vital to our survival) and fructose which we really don't need and can only be metabolized in the liver.

No one cares about the specific ice cream dessert you had. You were talking about ice cream, period. Ice cream has a lower GL which is the amount of blood glucose increase it causes. As such it is a good indication of how fast it digests, since sugar is 50/50 glucose and fructose, the fructose amount is the same as glucose.

Apples, btw. consist of 2/3 fructose, 85% of which is free fructose, the rest from the sucrose (evil table sugar!) in it.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

You are spreading misinformation. The metabolism of fructose and glucose are complete different. GI/GL is about glucose, it doesn't tell you anything about fructose. You can't assume they are identical.

Okay, if you have 50 grams of sugar, sucrose, which is made out of 25 grams of glucose and fructose, and it has to be split into glucose and fructose to be metabolized, and we know how fast the glucose of it hits the bloodstream...
    what does the fructose do in that time?
    The same.

First the main metabolic path for fructose is through the liver. The actual reactions that happen depend on the enzymes that are available and amount of fructose being handled. Best case is the fructose is converted to glyceraldehde-3-phosphate which can be use by glycolyisis to produce ATP. However when things go wrong with this complex pathway, weather there is a deficiency or just too much fructose being handle very low density lipids can be produced and multiple compounds that are harmful in the human body such as uric acid. In general not all fructose is converted to be consumed in the glucose pathway. This is why fructose itself has low GI/GL values.

When an apple is consumed there are multiple factors that slow down the rate fructose can hit the blood stream. Just two of these are the ample fiber another is polyphenols and phenolic acids both of which slow down the process. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20564476 Contrary to popular opinion, fat is not a replacement for fiber in the digestive process. Fructose absorption is different than glucose absorption and there is some evidence that without enough glucose not all fructose can be absorbed. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/58/5/748S.short Fructose and glucose occur in different ratios in fruit as compared to sucrose. So in general we don't know how fast the fructose is absorbed without having detailed measurements. Most likely for the reasons presents fructose absortion from fruit is slower than frucotose absortion from added sugars. (sucose, HFCS, etc)

So in short when it comes to fructose an apple isn't equal to a serving of ice cream.

I've seen references that about 60 grams of fructose is the max that can be safely handled per day. However, it does appear there is a limit and it would seem likely that the limit will vary by person. When the limit is exceeded, then the undesirable fats and byproducts are likely produced. By just eating fruit, one will be hard press to get that much fructose, clearly possible but not easy. Added sugars though are probably easily add 40g or more of fructose, at least with a processed food diet.

My take on all this is that eating fruit is fine if one isn't also comsuming a lot of added sugar. Otherwise one is probably slowly damaging the liver and causing other problems. The good news is there is lot of evidence that chaning diet and reverse metabolic symdrome symptoms.

We aren't talking about an apple and ice cream being equal. We were talking about how fast the sugar in each is released into the blood stream. GL measuring that, including the effect fructose has.
    They have the same effect of blood sugar.
    Does all ice cream have fructose?

More of your ever changing arguments. I pointed out many problems with your comparison.
    > Even in same databases there are multiple different GI/GL values for apples and ice cream. However one has to take the highest apple values to be close to the lowest ice cream values.
    > GI/GL is measuring glucose in the blood stream and only indirectly measuring fructose. Fructose typically has low GI values compared to glucose because it is a complex process the liver has to go through before fructose can be used in the glucose metabolism.
    > Totally non-sense comparison. I already pointed out in detail how the desert I cut out was really more like 2.5 apples. My favorite treat had a rich milk chocolate covering. The sugar in ice cream is bad enough, but the sugar in a rich milk chocolate is worse.

Deserts tend to be a lot more rich than whole fruit. It typically takes a lot of whole fruit to match a desert in calories.

That's because of fat, not sugar.

Again, one of my chocolate chip cookies has something like 180 calories (might be more, I'd have to check) and 14 g sugar. The largest source of calories is butter. A typical apple has 80 calories and 16 g of sugar.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it sounds like you're conflating cravings for hyperpalatable foods (dessert) with real hunger. If I eat Cheez-Its, I crave more, even if I just had a filling meal.

^This...

No! I've dealt with the hunger for well over a decade. It has nothing to do with cravings. I didn't crave more ice cream or something else. My hunger want more real food. Hunger pains are not cravings. It is amazing to me that some people can't accept a simple fact. What makes you think you can understand the difference between hunger and cravings and I can't?

For me cutting way back on added sugar has greatly reduced my hunger between meals. Typically I don't eat until I'm completely full, so I'll feel like I could eat but don't need to. After 4 or maybe 5 hours normal type hunger starts. That is normal. What used to happen is within two hours of eating I would be feeling seriously hungry. That can't be normal but I sure many people experience it. That probably is why there is so much snacking. I no longer even have the desire to snack.

Once you've dieted down and then bulked and cut some you'll see what people are saying with this. Many of us have been through an adjustment period where we realized what we thought was hunger wasn't really hunger. It won't make sense until you experience it.

That is fine for you, but it isn't me. First my hunger is less than just when I maintaining. Second I know that adding sugar now causes the hunger to come back. I'm not claiming this would be the same for everyone, but it how it works for me.

I'm not a snowflake at all. However I'm realizing there is a lot of fruitcake floating around here.

WHAT you did is working and that is great. Having said that, it is not working for the reasons you THINK it is. You have the HOW confused with the WHAT. It is clear to me that you are beyond reasoning with because you can't fight faith with facts...

You are the one that is ignoring facts and then making up stuff. How I started and where I am today are two different things. It is only added sugar that I'm cutting. Everything else is the same as what I successfully used before to drop close to 30 pounds. When I add sugar I end up being very hungry way too soon. Removing the extra sugar resolves that issue for me.

For some reason you can accept my statement. That doesn't mean I'm wrong and your are right. However I have the facts.

Do you understand that ice cream has more ingredients than just sugar? When you stop eating ice cream you are reducing more than just the sugar. You are reducing calories from sugar as well as fats. Any other desserts that you would cut out would be the same.

You also stopped putting sugar in your oatmeal, but replaced it with raisins. Raisins, like all dried fruits, have high concentrations of sugars. So you didn't really cut your sugar there...

Wrong! Stop assuming things. I have always put raisins in my oatmeal. I cut the sugar. I started with the ice cream but after that I just removed sugar. ONLY SUGAR

If you're SO SURE it's the added sugar specifically (which is weird that you don't have problems with natural sugars from a low-fiber fruit like a banana, or other carbs) and not sugar+fat or sugar+salt or sugar+fat+salt, how about eating 2-3 tbsp of table sugar by itself in between meals and tell us how you feel? If you're suddenly hungry, I recommend writing in to endocrinologists and dieticians so they can study you. Maybe you're the solution to the world's obesity problems!

It isn't weird at all the fruit is okay and I don't know that I wouldn't do even better by cutting back on fruit, I simply haven't tried that. Sugar in fruit is going to be a lot slower getting into the blood stream that sugar added to food. A banana isn't a low fiber as you imply. A typical banana has 3 gram of fiber and one of those grams is soluble fiber which is 1/8 of the minimum soluble fiber one should get daily.

Last night I did look a the effects of cutting back on sugar and at least half the pages mentions reducing hunger. So what I'm describing isn't actually that uncommon.

I might be wrong here, but didn't someone say earlier that ice cream, a food with added sugar, has the similar impact as an apple, a food without added sugar but contains sugar?

ETA - yes, page 10. Stevencloser. I double checked. An apple has almost the same GI as a bowl of ice cream (I chose the option for the premium stuff)

I said ice cream, it wasn't a bowl of ice cream, I don't even know where to buy ice cream like that in Japan. It was typically ice cream bars. My favorite was similar to a Klondike bar, only a lot better chocolate.

Additionally you can't just go by GI, that only indicates per gram. It really doesn't make a difference if the GI is high but only tiny amounts are consumed. GL (glycemic load) is what you should be looking at, that indicates what the impact will be to blood sugar for a serving of something. Then you have to factor in how much of something is eaten. A serving of an apple is pretty large, a serving of ice cream is tiny.

A serving of ice cream is a half a cup. I do not consider that tiny nor do I consider an apple a large serving.

A typical ice cream bar is 300 kc. That is about 2.5 servings. 2.5 apples takes a lot longer to eat.

There are a lot of reasonable icy treats in Japan, I just wasn't into them. My kids and wife prefer those. (Basically favored ice.)

A serving of ice cream is 1/2 cup. That said, the calories in a serving of ice cream can vary. 300 calories of ice cream is not 2.5 servings...

You are just making things up as you go along. A lot of servings of ice cream are 120 kc. 300 kc / 120 kc = 2.5.
    My favorite ice cream when I was in the states was 120 kc in the $1 single server containers ... I know this pretty well.

No, the standard serving size for ice cream is .5 cup, period. The calories range from around 200, on the low end, to over 300. For premium (what we are talking about), I'd assume more fat, so probably closer to 300.

Saying you cut dressing, ice cream, and nuts sure sounds like you are mostly cutting fat, to me. Like I said upthread, a primarily sugary dressing seems weird (and disgusting) to me.

You are doubling, counting 1 cup as a 1/2 cup. http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/ice-cream

There is also wide ranges in GI & GL even for the same type of fruit. I don't put much faith in that. For example search on apple: http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php

The whole debate is absurd. By calories the desert I liked the most in Japan was 300 kc. About 60g ice cream and the rest a rich chocolate covering. 300 kc is 2.5 good sized apples. By claiming higher calories it just means it would take more apples.

That is why fruit is probably safe, you have to eat a huge amount of it to get the same effect. Besides that there are a lot of claims around fruit in how it slows or prevents the absorption of fructose.

Anyway GI & GL are about glucose and not fructose. I think people keep confusing glucose (which is vital to our survival) and fructose which we really don't need and can only be metabolized in the liver.

No one cares about the specific ice cream dessert you had. You were talking about ice cream, period. Ice cream has a lower GL which is the amount of blood glucose increase it causes. As such it is a good indication of how fast it digests, since sugar is 50/50 glucose and fructose, the fructose amount is the same as glucose.

Apples, btw. consist of 2/3 fructose, 85% of which is free fructose, the rest from the sucrose (evil table sugar!) in it.

You are spreading misinformation. The metabolism of fructose and glucose are complete different. GI/GL is about glucose, it doesn't tell you anything about fructose. You can't assume they are identical.

Okay, if you have 50 grams of sugar, sucrose, which is made out of 25 grams of glucose and fructose, and it has to be split into glucose and fructose to be metabolized, and we know how fast the glucose of it hits the bloodstream...
    The same.

First the main metabolic path for fructose is through the liver. The actual reactions that happen depend on the enzymes that are available and amount of fructose being handled. Best case is the fructose is converted to glyceraldehde-3-phosphate which can be use by glycolyisis to produce ATP. However when things go wrong with this complex pathway, weather there is a deficiency or just too much fructose being handle very low density lipids can be produced and multiple compounds that are harmful in the human body such as uric acid. In general not all fructose is converted to be consumed in the glucose pathway. This is why fructose itself has low GI/GL values.

When an apple is consumed there are multiple factors that slow down the rate fructose can hit the blood stream. Just two of these are the ample fiber another is polyphenols and phenolic acids both of which slow down the process. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20564476 Contrary to popular opinion, fat is not a replacement for fiber in the digestive process. Fructose absorption is different than glucose absorption and there is some evidence that without enough glucose not all fructose can be absorbed. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/58/5/748S.short Fructose and glucose occur in different ratios in fruit as compared to sucrose. So in general we don't know how fast the fructose is absorbed without having detailed measurements. Most likely for the reasons presents fructose absortion from fruit is slower than frucotose absortion from added sugars. (sucose, HFCS, etc)

So in short when it comes to fructose an apple isn't equal to a serving of ice cream.

I've seen references that about 60 grams of fructose is the max that can be safely handled per day. However, it does appear there is a limit and it would seem likely that the limit will vary by person. When the limit is exceeded, then the undesirable fats and byproducts are likely produced. By just eating fruit, one will be hard press to get that much fructose, clearly possible but not easy. Added sugars though are probably easily add 40g or more of fructose, at least with a processed food diet.

My take on all this is that eating fruit is fine if one isn't also comsuming a lot of added sugar. Otherwise one is probably slowly damaging the liver and causing other problems. The good news is there is lot of evidence that chaning diet and reverse metabolic symdrome symptoms.

We aren't talking about an apple and ice cream being equal. We were talking about how fast the sugar in each is released into the blood stream. GL measuring that, including the effect fructose has.

More of your ever changing arguments. I pointed out many problems with your comparison.
    > Even in same databases there are multiple different GI/GL values for apples and ice cream. However one has to take the highest apple values to be close to the lowest ice cream values.
    > GI/GL is measuring glucose in the blood stream and only indirectly measuring fructose. Fructose typically has low GI values compared to glucose because it is a complex process the liver has to go through before fructose can be used in the glucose metabolism.
    > Totally non-sense comparison. I already pointed out in detail how the desert I cut out was really more like 2.5 apples. My favorite treat had a rich milk chocolate covering. The sugar in ice cream is bad enough, but the sugar in a rich milk chocolate is worse.

Deserts tend to be a lot more rich than whole fruit. It typically takes a lot of whole fruit to match a desert in calories.

Again, one of my chocolate chip cookies has something like 180 calories (might be more, I'd have to check) and 14 g sugar. The largest source of calories is butter. A typical apple has 80 calories and 16 g of sugar.

Water content has a lot to do with it as well. I'd need to run the numbers, but something tells me that an apple has at least a factor of twenty more water weight than that cookie.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2016
    Options

^This...

The same.

Water content has a lot to do with it as well. I'd need to run the numbers, but something tells me that an apple has at least a factor of twenty more water weight than that cookie.

That might make the apple more filling than the cookie (I actually find the two about equally filling, although I'm more tempted to eat a second cookie for reasons not related to hunger), but doesn't have to do with why the cookie has more calories, which is what dykask was on about. The cookie has more calories and less sugar because it also includes flour and, especially, lots of butter.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

^This...

The same.

That might make the apple more filling than the cookie (I actually find the two about equally filling, although I'm more tempted to eat a second cookie for reasons not related to hunger), but doesn't have to do with why the cookie has more calories, which is what dykask was on about. The cookie has more calories and less sugar because it also includes flour and, especially, lots of butter.

Ahh, gotcha. I thought we were looking at them in a caloric density light (kcal/total edible weight). My mistake.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    The interesting thing about soda to me is, as a kid I drank a lot of it. That said, we were so active as kids that it was never an issue. As I grew older my tastes changed and I drank less of it until now where I don't drink it anymore unless it's the weekend and there is some rum mixed in there.

My point is, and I say this all the time, too much focus is placed on diet and not enough on activity. Is it the added sugar (added calories) that is the problem, or is it a time where more kids are spending time indoors playing xbox and the like?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    The interesting thing about soda to me is, as a kid I drank a lot of it. That said, we were so active as kids that it was never an issue. As I grew older my tastes changed and I drank less of it until now where I don't drink it anymore unless it's the weekend and there is some rum mixed in there.

My point is, and I say this all the time, too much focus is placed on diet and not enough on activity. Is it the added sugar (added calories) that is the problem, or is it a time where more kids are spending time indoors playing xbox and the like?

For kids, I think this is the main part of it, although probably less time moving, more time sitting around playing computer games also equates to more time to sit and eat/drink soda (while playing).

I live in a health-conscious neighborhood, and don't see many overweight kids. I do see lots of parents doing active things with their kids, and soccer and softball/baseball games and such at the local parks and school with parents watching and I know my friends with kids are always taking them to some sporting event or dance class or the like -- I think kids seem less likely to just run around outside like I did growing up (that could be different in the 'burbs, I live in a big city), but parents in my subculture/neighborhood seem to be focused on providing for organized opportunities for active play. But that seems to require either more work or parents who are also into those things in a way that wasn't so true when I was a kid. In part because if we weren't active, there was a lot less to do. (I used to read a lot, so was sedentary that way, and I suppose kids could have watched lots of TV, but my friends did not, and it was common for TV hours to be limited.)

Re soda, we didn't drink a lot as kids -- some, sure, more as a teen than as a small child when it was basically just at restaurants (we did have kool-aid in the summer, though, typically after running around all day). Soda just didn't seem as available to kids -- we didn't have it in the house and wouldn't have walked to the store to buy treats on our own just as a function of where we lived. But mostly it just didn't seem normal to drink huge amounts. I think part of this is what seems culturally normal or expected has changed, both in terms of activity (being completely sedentary would have seemed really weird) and in terms of food choice and amount.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

As always, this comes back to dosage and context. I wasn't particularly sedentary as a kid - yeah, I watched a lot of TV, but I also played soccer and jumped on the trampoline and biked around my neighborhood and played with my dog. But I drank a LOT of soda. Like, 3-4 cans a day as an 8 year old. Then there was chocolate milk + cookies at school, Pop-Tarts for breakfast, graham crackers as snacks at home... I wasn't overweight, but I was a bit chunky. My dosage was too much for my activity and not properly balanced in a nutrient-dense diet. Activity is very important, but let's not downplay diet - kids who are consuming that much sugar are probably not being fed a particularly nutritious diet, and that's a problem.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

As always, this comes back to dosage and context. I wasn't particularly sedentary as a kid - yeah, I watched a lot of TV, but I also played soccer and jumped on the trampoline and biked around my neighborhood and played with my dog. But I drank a LOT of soda. Like, 3-4 cans a day as an 8 year old. Then there was chocolate milk + cookies at school, Pop-Tarts for breakfast, graham crackers as snacks at home... I wasn't overweight, but I was a bit chunky. My dosage was too much for my activity and not properly balanced in a nutrient-dense diet. Activity is very important, but let's not downplay diet - kids who are consuming that much sugar are probably not being fed a particularly nutritious diet, and that's a problem.
    I think your last sentence is especially important. IMO, just because someone may eat a lot of sugar and technically burn it all off doesn't mean it's ok to just eat or drink that way.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I think your last sentence is especially important. IMO, just because someone may eat a lot of sugar and technically burn it all off doesn't mean it's ok to just eat or drink that way.

not sure what your point is, as no one in this thread is advocating that everyone's sugar consumption should be identical...
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

not sure what your point is, as no one in this thread is advocating that everyone's sugar consumption should be identical...
    As I mentioned, that was in response to the statement that more than likely kids who are eating a lot of sugar are not eating a well balanced diet. I'm just agreeing to the point that even if a kid is very active, he or she should not be eating large amounts of sugar.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    But then what is a "large" amount? Can a kid that plays sports and is super active eat more sugar than a kid that plays video games all day?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

As I mentioned, that was in response to the statement that more than likely kids who are eating a lot of sugar are not eating a well balanced diet. I'm just agreeing to the point that even if a kid is very active, he or she should not be eating large amounts of sugar.

My point was not to downplay diet but to bring more attention to the increasingly sedentary lives of our children. Diet gets the lion's share of the attention and IMO, activity often times gets brushed off...
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    But then what is a "large" amount? Can a kid that plays sports and is super active eat more sugar than a kid that plays video games all day?
    Sure, assuming that the active kid is eating an overall nutritious diet.

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

So a "large" amount is like "a lot" then?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Yes, but don't get too much...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

or over-consume ....
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

or over-consume ....

Just the right amount? Got it.