Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Hot topics! Sugar in fruit

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, there is an individual who has posted in this thread (but did not state his consumption here) who consumes around 100 grams of added sugar a day, which is more than the rest of us.

I fail to see how the intake of one person posting in this thread is at all relevant to the context of this discussion (although admittedly I am not sure what the point of any of this is anymore). What clarity does that provide, what direction does that take us in? Without knowing the context of the individual's overall diet, then flippantly commenting that they eat more than 100g of sugar is not helpful or germane to the conversation. I also don't know how looking at ANYONE's individual intake helps the conversation, whether you are talking about someone consuming less than 10 g or greater than 100g. Did someone say that no one ever consumes more than 100g of sugar each day? If they did, and this proves them wrong - ok, good on you, but I don't think that's what happening here. It seems like you are just looking for a "gotcha" but maybe I'm missing something.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, there is an individual who has posted in this thread (but did not state his consumption here) who consumes around 100 grams of added sugar a day, which is more than the rest of us.

I fail to see how the intake of one person posting in this thread is at all relevant to the context of this discussion (although admittedly I am not sure what the point of any of this is anymore). What clarity does that provide, what direction does that take us in? Without knowing the context of the individual's overall diet, then flippantly commenting that they eat more than 100g of sugar is not helpful or germane to the conversation. I also don't know how looking at ANYONE's individual intake helps the conversation, whether you are talking about someone consuming less than 10 g or greater than 100g. Did someone say that no one ever consumes more than 100g of sugar each day? If they did, and this proves them wrong - ok, good on you, but I don't think that's what happening here. It seems like you are just looking for a "gotcha" but maybe I'm missing something.

Yeah, it really seems like there's no point to this anymore. It's like some people just really need there to be something intrinsically wrong with every grain of sugar, because the what and the how much changes with every post.

If anything, the fact that @Gallowmere1984 consumes a very small amount of sugar, and @hornsby eats an impressively high amount of sugar, and they are both alive and well and lookin' good and succeeding towards their goals, and not cancer-ridden, diabetic, energy-sapped shells of men makes as powerful a point as anything else I've read in this thread!

Exactly this...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Some of us agree with the recommendation to make added sugar no more than 10% of one's daily calories. And if it's over that on a regular basis, I'd say that may be risky depending on the rest of the diet, though I realize that's more so my opinion. I'd say it's relevant to the conversation given that we were talking about how much sugar is in each of our diets, and the conclusion was that most of us eat a reasonable amount of sugar. I don't think anyone that posted how much they were eating was eating in excess of the 10% daily calories limit for added sugar on a regular basis. Now when it comes to 100 grams of added sugar, that's a different story.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Some of us agree with the recommendation to make added sugar no more than 10% of one's daily calories. And if it's over that on a regular basis, I'd say that may be risky depending on the rest of the diet, though I realize that's more so my opinion. I'd say it's relevant to the conversation given that we were talking about how much sugar is in each of our diets, and the conclusion was that most of us eat a reasonable amount of sugar. I don't think anyone that posted how much they were eating was eating in excess of the 10% daily calories limit for added sugar on a regular basis. Now when it comes to 100 grams of added sugar, that's a different story.

I'd say that your ten % number is wrong. Some of us agree that added sugar make no difference unless one is blowing out their calorie allotment, or not getting enough nutrition. If one is meeting micro, macro, and calorie targets then added sugar is not going to be a concern.

Again, all of this is your opinion and just because you have convinced yourself that anyone consuming more than 10% of added sugar is somehow doing harm to themselves, does not matter.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options

Yeah, it really seems like there's no point to this anymore. It's like some people just really need there to be something intrinsically wrong with every grain of sugar, because the what and the how much changes with every post.

If anything, the fact that @Gallowmere1984 consumes a very small amount of sugar, and @hornsby eats an impressively high amount of sugar, and they are both alive and well and lookin' good and succeeding towards their goals, and not cancer-ridden, diabetic, energy-sapped shells of men makes as powerful a point as anything else I've read in this thread!
    Well some call it fear-mongering, but I'm reminded of a statement that was posted earlier in that for any given individual, a high intake of sugar could take a while before it becomes an issue.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Well some call it fear-mongering, but I'm reminded of a statement that was posted earlier in that for any given individual, a high intake of sugar could take a while before it becomes an issue.

I'm still waiting for my other shoe to drop. I still get perfect numbers at my yearly check ups. I eat sugar regularly.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Except 100 grams is my 10%.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

you are already dead....
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Religion, Politics and Diet. Three topics that never go anywhere...
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Ok, but still, to what end? You and others agree with the 10% recommendation. That's fine. I actually don't have a problem with guidelines to provide people some numbers to aim for, but it is still up to an individual and their personal choice whether they follow those guidelines or not. You are adhering to that. I think I do too, but I don't closely track sugar. Hornsby probably is as well, based on his total calorie intake. But even if a person wasn't, even if they are blowing that number out of the water, what are you proposing? The recommendations are out there, if a person is unaware or even aware but chooses to ignore them, what are you proposing to do about it? The process is in place to update nutritional information on packaged food so a person can differentiate between added and natural sugars. What else are you suggesting, and how does this directly impact you?
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

You forgot my favorite - parenting advice.
  • J72FIT
    Options

You forgot my favorite - parenting advice.

Lol!
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    I guess my memory is off, as I thought your maintenance was around 3600.

Ok, but still, to what end? You and others agree with the 10% recommendation. That's fine. I actually don't have a problem with guidelines to provide people some numbers to aim for, but it is still up to an individual and their personal choice whether they follow those guidelines or not. You are adhering to that. I think I do too, but I don't closely track sugar. Hornsby probably is as well, based on his total calorie intake. But even if a person wasn't, even if they are blowing that number out of the water, what are you proposing? The recommendations are out there, if a person is unaware or even aware but chooses to ignore them, what are you proposing to do about it? The process is in place to update nutritional information on packaged food so a person can differentiate between added and natural sugars. What else are you suggesting, and how does this directly impact you?
    There isn't anything in particular that I propose to do about that or am suggesting. But I think it's important that those who aren't following the recommendations know it is potentially risky.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

There isn't anything in particular that I propose to do about that or am suggesting. But I think it's important that those who aren't following the recommendations know it is potentially risky.

Potentially risky, how so?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

(1) I still don't see why this is relevant. You've made no argument at all that it is. Why is how much sugar everyone eats even relevant? Christine made a mistaken assumption pages ago, that's all you've got.

(2) The WHO and the US Dietary Guidelines recommend limiting added sugar because of the risks of obesity and tooth decay. Hornsby seems to have his weight and BF% under control (to put it mildly, most of us would love to be in the kind of shape he is), and I imagine he understands dental hygiene, although you can ask him yourself. Whether there's a concern beyond that depends on whether people are eating a diet that includes the nutrients they need, and given Hornsby's knowledge and activity level, I see no reason to assume he is not, and I also am not interested enough to review his diary because--again--irrelevant.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    and the wheel in the sky keeps on turning...
  • ForecasterJason
    edited July 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Potentially risky, how so?

and the wheel in the sky keeps on turning...

I'd like to not repeat the exact same things I mentioned earlier in this same thread with regards to the immune system, so I won't expound on that.
  • ndj1979
    Options

walking across the street is also potentially risky ...