Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Parents- HPV vaccine for girls......yes or no?

Replies

• StevieFishwick
    StevieFishwick Posts: 27 Member
    35dollars wrote: »
    My daughter was one of the first cohort to receive the vaccine - much as I'd prefer it to have been tested several years first, someone has to be first and I am a strong believer in the benefit of thoroughly tested vaccines, of which this is one.

It was tested for several years before ever being released! They would never release a vaccine that hasn't been thoroughly tested and researched. Good on you for getting it!
  • StevieFishwick
    StevieFishwick Posts: 27 Member
    Alassonde wrote: »
    My doctor actually recommended against getting it for my daughter. It was when it first came out and she felt it hadn't been tested enough. She also mentioned that the benefits (only protects against 4 strains of the hundreds of strains of HPV) may not outweigh the risks with a new untested vaccine. Now that it's been in use for a few years I would probably get it for her.

It was tested and researched for several years before ever being released and I have a hard time believing this :)
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    35dollars wrote: »
    My daughter was one of the first cohort to receive the vaccine - much as I'd prefer it to have been tested several years first, someone has to be first and I am a strong believer in the benefit of thoroughly tested vaccines, of which this is one.

It was tested for several years before ever being released! They would never release a vaccine that hasn't been thoroughly tested and researched. Good on you for getting it!

Yeah, sorry, that was badly phrased - that first "tested" was meant in the sense of being long-established, with years of mass immunisations already done; the second "tested" was alluding to the development, testing and approval process, which I do understand.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Yes to the vaccine if I had a daughter.
    I would like to see it offered for males too.

It is offered for boys. My 11 year old received the vaccine. It was a three dose series.
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    I ended up with HPV in my early 40's. The doc said this was highly unusual for my age (at that time). I had to have cervical lasering, biopsied pinch of tissue, other procedures. I'm now 59 and still have to get checked. I consider myself very lucky not to have received a diagnosis of cancer of any form. If I was a young woman today, I would definitely get the vaccine!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    My youngest son received the series and I'm so glad this is now available. I know two women who are fighting cervical cancer now.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    fmosracing wrote: »
    HPV can be spread non-sexually, and my parents telling me to not have sex before I was married definitely didn't prevent me from having sex. So yes, if you're a parent, you have a responsibility to do more than teach your child abstinence to protect their health. If you're a young woman making this decision for yourself, be smart and protect yourself against the worst, even if you're choosing abstinence.

I think this is incredibly important. HPV is virulent and pervasive and can be spread by non-intercourse physical contact, including kissing, oral sex and mutual *kitten*. It is believed that over 75% of the US population has or has had HPV at some point in their life. It is believed that this will eventually near 100%. There are hundreds of varieties of HPV, just like cold viruses, and generally they come and go after your immune system fights them off, just like colds.

Only a few varieties cause the obvious complications of warts and cancer, and these are what the vaccinations try to guard against. HPV cannot be detected directly, only by the changes it can cause at the cellular level, which is why there's no test for it in men. In women, the cancer-causing varieties can be detected by visible changes in the cervical cells.

My daughter has a ways to go before she needs the vaccine (she's 4), but you can bet she'll get it.

HPV can be detected by a DNA test (PCR). In addition to pap smears, women can have their HPV typed to see if it is an oncogenic strain.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    I don't talk about this a lot but I figured id step in as someone who didn't get the vaccine early on (even though I should've) and contracted HPV from my very first partner, who was unaware that he had it, he was one who had the disease with no symptoms (very common). My mother had cervical cancer and we had talked about the vaccine a lot but due to my fear of needles I kept putting it off. I highly regret this now and im really happy OP decided to get the vaccination for his kids. My current partner and I just finished getting the vaccinations together, no adverse reactions.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Alassonde wrote: »
    My doctor actually recommended against getting it for my daughter. It was when it first came out and she felt it hadn't been tested enough. She also mentioned that the benefits (only protects against 4 strains of the hundreds of strains of HPV) may not outweigh the risks with a new untested vaccine. Now that it's been in use for a few years I would probably get it for her.

It was tested and researched for several years before ever being released and I have a hard time believing this :)

Believe it or not, it is what my doctor said. As I said, it was right after the vaccine first became available. By "not being tested enough" I think she just meant on large groups of people. She didn't feel that the benefits outweighed the risks at that time. I'm not an anti-vaxxer, my kids have had all other vaccines, but when my doctor told me this I decided to take her advice. As I stated, I would probably give it to her now that it's been out a few years.
  • lizzielynnn
    lizzielynnn Posts: 3 Member
    I am 19 and I got mine when I was about 15/16. It is definitely worth it. I have had no bad side effects and it is a blessing to be protected. I feel lucky we have the medical advancements to protect ourselves and our children and if they are already vaccinated kids then why hold out on this one. It's just like every other vaccination in the sense that there are always pros and cons and potential side effects. It's worth the risk in my opinion.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Yes to the vaccine if I had a daughter.
    I would like to see it offered for males too.
    Yes they have it for males. If your child is sexually active, you want them to get this vaccine. Cervical cancer is no joke for a girl. Throat cancer is no joke for a boy.

It's best administered before they become sexually activity.

^ To every person posting about abstinence, please pay attention to this. We are taking about a vaccine that can't be administered later in life. Give your child a gift that will help protect them for life? Yea, I'm okay with that. You expect little Suzie to keep it in her pants in her 30s? Good luck with that.

Precisely. My mother insisted on my sister and I getting the HPV vaccine when we were in high school with no sexual history to speak of. We were Southern Baptists at the time, so any hanky-panky before marriage was a big no-no.

I've had one partner, my sister more than one (neither of us married lmao) but I'm grateful that her focus was on our health rather than what we may or may not do as adults.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I wasn't able to be vaccinated for this in my youth. I probably wasn't too old (I think I was 17ish?), but it wasn't required and I bet my parents didn't even know it existed. (It was required for friends of mine a grade below me, though.)

I will get my daughter vaccinated. She has had all her vaccinations on time and has no sensitivities to any ingredients found in common vaccines. I believe strongly in vaccinating my child as a whole. There is no possible side effect worse than the reality of having one of these deadly diseases or developing cervical cancer from HPV.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    I have 3 children. None of them are the age for this vaccine. While I am not anti-vax at all, I did not vaccinate on the schedule recommended. However, my kids are fully vaccinated at 8,7 and 4. Some other parents and I were just discussing this vaccine the other day. We are all kind of on the fence about it. I am not sure I want to subject my daughter to this at 11-12 years old. Maybe at 15-16 when my kids can make a decision about this also. I am not naive, nor am I religious or prudish. I just don't believe my daughter NEEDS this vaccine at 11. As parents, we all set out to do our best by our children. We read the literature and pour over the documentation. Not everything you read is conclusive one way or the other so you kind of have to make a decision and hope it doesn't bite you in the *kitten*. Just as I would feel awful if my child got HPV, I would feel just as equally bad if my child suffered an adverse reaction to the shot. It just hasn't been around long enough for me. And I WOULD NOT get the vaccine myself at age 40 if it was offered.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    For those who don't really know much about the vaccine, the CDC provides a good deal of solid information.

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine Safety

Human Papillomavirus Vaccination: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)