Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Parents- HPV vaccine for girls......yes or no?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I got the HPV vaccine, ended up getting the HPV that leads to cervical cancer from a long term boyfriend, had to have a very small section of my cervix lasered because they found cancer cells, all the doctors agreed the shot probably saved me from a much worse case, because I caught it after my one year appointment and didn't have another check up until a year later. HPV doesn't have to be contracted sexually and condoms do not prevent the spread and it is causing throat cancer now. It really is a personal choice. If caught soon enough cervical cancer can be treated and cured. I think the shot is more helpful against the HPV that causes warts. That's something you won't be able to get rid of. This is just my personal story though. I hope you can find your way through all the mess of information and you and your daughter chose the right choice for you!

HPV sounds like both a guy and girl concern.

oralcancerfoundation.org/hpv/
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I used the HPV vaccine as something to start the transfer of me (and my husband) being in charge of my daughter's healthcare to her. I gave her literature from the doctor and made her discuss it with him. We did give our opinions which was to get it.

My daughter chose to get it although she waited 3 weeks after the boosters she needed for college. More to spread the needle sticks out than to prevent a reaction. I was was happy she decided that. I did worry about an adverse reaction.

The vaccine issue is so politicized that I don't trust anything I read on the internet about it. Both sides are so aggressive and unwilling to see the other side.

There are risks to getting a vaccine. Even if the risk is one in a million, that means 1 person is harmed. Sure, I played it as we wouldn't be the "one" and it worked out fine. If it's your kid, it's awful.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I made the decision to have myself vaccinated shortly after it was approved. I was in college, over 18. I have a number of close family members who have battled cancer, and I'm at high risk for certain familial cancers myself. I will take the necessary steps to reduce my risk, so getting the HPV vaccine made a lot of sense to me. Why would I not prevent cervical cancer? One less I need to worry about!

While the shot itself is one of the more painful I've had (closer to the hepatitis b vaccine than say, the flu), I'm very glad I had it. I haven't had many partners and take safety very seriously, but I couldn't control when one partner was lying and cheating. And, I've not had any of the abnormal tests, precancerous cells, or cancer that a number of my friends have dealt with over the years.

You could wait until your child is old enough to decide herself, but it's most effective before children become sexually active. HPV is common and difficult to prevent through current prophylactic methods.
    https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/hpv.html
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    To help with the decision making regarding healthcare for our children, it would be wise to consider all views, fringe or learned.

There is a bit of truth to be found from all sources.

The truth is that vaccinations saved and continues saving millions of lives.

c6fb5feb7f1ee71b7e725277d30999161.jpg

Holy *kitten*, varicella killed 4 million people a year just in the USA!?!?!?! I JUST got this vaccine in the spring since I never had chicken pox as a kid. I'm VERY glad I did now!

Morbidity means killed right? Not just contracted? Or can it mean both? Google is being confusing with it's answer.

ETA: Omg hahah no, that's mortality. Hahahah I was so confused. Ok so it means 4 million a year GOT the chicken pox before vaccinations. And now 10x fewer people get it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    My DD had it done. I believe in vaccines for kids so yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am 23 and have never had it, middle sister had hers done. I don't know if my younger sister has yet.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Yes, morbidity means how many people got it.
    Chicken pox can have quite serious complications, especially if you get it as an adult, which can be deadly.

Yeah, that's why I recently got the vaccine. I'm 27 and never had it.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Yes, morbidity means how many people got it.
    Chicken pox can have quite serious complications, especially if you get it as an adult, which can be deadly.

Yeah, that's why I recently got the vaccine. I'm 27 and never had it.

I had chickenpox at 16.....it was the worst I've ever felt, I had spots inside my eyelids, nose mouth and throat (as well as many other places) i was quite ill for a long time.

Cervical screening doesn't start till 25 here in the uk and if I'd had the chance I'd have been 1st in the queue for a vaccine as too many young girls are dying of something hopefully now can be drastically reduced by a shot.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When I went to boot camp I was given an option for the HPV vaccine. I took it at the time. I honestly haven't had any after effects of having it. I've heard back and forth talks about the vaccine. I had a child in 2012 and currently on birth control (Mirena).
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I was too old to get it but I would definitely have my kids get it. Out of my close circle of friends (which isn't huge) I know 4 people with HPV, one of whom did get cervical cancer super young, which spread. She lived, but at age 28 she had a full hysterectomy and now can't have biological kids, which she desperately wanted.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Yes. Why wouldn't I do something so simple that can protect her so much. HPV is too common not to vaccinate.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    My son will get it when the time comes. I had it when it first came out, as I was at the top of the age range when it was introduced. I haven't seen any reason not too.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    nahmm83 wrote: »
    @nutmegoreo my concern, as was the only concerns with the people opposed to it (that I personally spoke to) is the possibility of infertility. I just have to hope for the best.

I had this vaccine at 26 and got pregnant the first time I tried at age 29. I'm an anecdote certainly, but for me I did not have any ill side effects.