"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options

Replies

• EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    REAL STORY!!!
    there are black rednecks OMG back in VA at this building supply company I worked at I rode with this old guy named "Poke" one day in the truck the radio was on but it was turned down really low and Skynards sweet home alabama comes on and he quickly reaches for the volume knob and im like awww **** he's gonna shut this down. Swear to GOD he turns it up and starts singing ****ing flipped my **** out.

LOL! I try to tell people that...When I tell them my dad wears a dirty azz truckers hate..he only Drinks Budweiser, he looks like Dale from King of the Hill...only black with no glasses...but my dad sounds like boomhower

:laugh: That's awesome!!!

Yea...I love his redneck azz....

He born and raised in Charleston S.C...and does not have higher than a Jr Highschool education...but served 23 years in the Army....

Loves fishing, drinking budweiser, and cursing in his boomhower voice.
  • danilee1020
    danilee1020 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    REAL STORY!!!
    there are black rednecks OMG back in VA at this building supply company I worked at I rode with this old guy named "Poke" one day in the truck the radio was on but it was turned down really low and Skynards sweet home alabama comes on and he quickly reaches for the volume knob and im like awww **** he's gonna shut this down. Swear to GOD he turns it up and starts singing ****ing flipped my **** out.

LOL! I try to tell people that...When I tell them my dad wears a dirty azz truckers hate..he only Drinks Budweiser, he looks like Dale from King of the Hill...only black with no glasses...but my dad sounds like boomhower

He born and raised in Charleston S.C...and does not have higher than a Jr Highschool education...but served 23 years in the Army....

He's probably loads of fun!
  • purpledelight
    purpledelight Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Did not read the whole 15 pages...so pre apologies if needed for repeating etc..
    46 years ago I was born black. To this day I am black and unless I am mistaken...gonna die a black woman many many many years from now::)

The world can take it's titles politically correct or not and shove them. I refuse any title that does not serve me.

And just for fun- being mixed race and light skinned not only did i get crap from some of the less educated white folk on one side of the fam, but I got the lovely experience of being told I was "to white" when I would visit the other side... Gee whiz

how bout we all just call me Laurie :)
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Why can't we just call people their names instead? Thats generally what I do. Interesting discussion tho.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly I hate it period when people feel the need to point out color--I have a name, it's Karen and that's who I am!!! But if I have to be "termed" then I would prefer being called black.

You say it best.

Hi Karen, I'm Toni. And if I was referring to you and didn't know your name - it would be, "the lady over there" or "the woman right there." Maybe I'm too hippie-ish but really - why can't people just be people. Period.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You asked for thoughts from "older" people and I qualify on that account. It is an interesting and important question. Way back when -- I'm thinking back to way before you were even born, the terms were either "people of color" or "Negros." But at that time, Caucasians were typically called "white." Now, I'm actually no more "white" than you are "black." I was always told my complexion was olive, which always upset me because it made me think of a sickly green shade. Yuch! And you, your hair is more black than your complexion. Actually, my hair was the same color as yours before it turned gray.

It was sometime in the 1960s as I recall that it was thought that if Caucasians were white, then Negros would insist on being called black. That was also the beginning of the phrase "black pride." A decade or so later, about the time the TV mini-series "Roots" came out, someone decided that black pride needed to incorporate a pride in the African continent. With that, came the African-American label. Why? We don't refer to Irish-Americans, German-Americans, Polish-Americans. But, the term stuck and left many with the same question you have. What term should we use? Besides, it seems silly to refer to anyone by a continent. There are many countries on that continent and it certainly makes a difference which part of Africa ones ancestors lived in just as there is a difference in racial traits between people from the USA and people from Mexico even though both are technically from the North American continent.

As for me, I try not to use any term except American, or American Citizen. Our census forms ask for race -- I write "American Citizen." Race or the continent of one's ancestors going back dozens of generations shouldn't matter, period! Sadly, it does. Maybe some day we can all just be people.

Of course, this is only my thoughts on the topic. I'm certain that others think differently and that's okay, too. Especially for those of different races. There is no way I can ever share the experiences of people in another race so I can't possibly wrap my thoughts around how other think and feel. Please forgive this shortcoming in me.

Not only are you "old" - you are wise!
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

Funnily enough, even in Canada where we spell it "colour", black people are often referred to as "African Americans" even though they are usually neither African nor American.

That is incorrect. Canadians are technically American. As are Mexicans, Guatemalans, Chileans, etc. etc.

We are all from the continents known as the "America's" and the original descent of people who have a darker skin color is from the continent of Africa. Skin color variations as well as many other physical features are the direct result of the geographical features of the land from which our ancestors came.

So calling a black canadian and "African American" would still be sociologically correct.

It is the ethnocentricity of United States' Americans who have fooled the rest of the world in to thinking we are the only "real" americans. SMH
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Personally I try not to be derogatory in any way. I have to ask for race for my job and most black people answer black. I'm trying to teach my girls to refer to someone by name when possible but to be respectful when you must use race. I don't think the "N" word is acceptable any more than the "B" word is. My girlfriends don't use the "B" word becauses its seen as disrespectful.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    REAL STORY!!!

He's probably loads of fun!

I second that!

Oh and Taco, I appreciate your dad's service in the Army... I'm a military brat myself...
  • ChristaFall
    ChristaFall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    *throws feet up on desk* who brought the popcorn?

Hahahaha.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I personally do not want to be referred to as African American. Here is why...I do not hold a belief that all "Black" people are decendants of Africa. Plenty of people from countries such as the Dominican Replublic identify as "Black" even though they speak Spanish and are of "mixed" heritage. That is just one example. Myself personally...I identify as "black" but my great grand-father was in fact of Irish (white) descent. My father's father was hispanic. I feel that most "black" people are many things so to be labeled from Africa automatically is not ok to me. I don't get terribly offended when called African American because I know most people are meerly attempting to be politically correct. Howeverm those that I am close with I let them know I prefer Black. I think the term "black" also partially refers to our skin complexion (which is really brown...lol), but this is less offensive to me because as I stated before plenty of other nationalities (such as Dominicans) have dark skin besides "black" people. That's just my two cents.

You are also incorrect. Black dominicans are in the DR because they were originally transported there during the trans-atlantic slave trade. So, any person of dark or "black" skin are all descendants of Africa. You don't have to believe it, but it doesn't make you right.

The original people to inhabit these lands are native americans who came over (one theory) through Beringia - the Bering Straight over 18000 years ago. They migrated down after wild animals who were crossing and moved out over the land and down in to South America. Then the Europeans came....
  • mlashay
    mlashay Posts: 166 Member
    Options

We are all from the continents known as the "America's" and the original descent of people who have a darker skin color is from the continent of Africa.

Not to be rude but that is also incorrect, not everyone with a darker skin color's heritage is derived from Africa.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    *throws feet up on desk* who brought the popcorn?
    lol Love it from a BLACK woman across the pond.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    How often do you have to call anybody anything to do with the color of their skin?

Now if you want to refer to a race of people, you might say, 'the black population" or "the white population"....

And if somebody stole your car and you watched them drive off in it and told the officer a more exact description of the person...

Well I guess there is that awkward moment at the future in-laws where you sorta break the news on the phone down the block that you are bringing home and white man or a black man or whatever.....

Otherwise, I can't really think of a time when you need to use color of skin to define someone.

But the brits all call us Fat - American....black white red yellow...we're Fat - American....that's not nice!!!!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Personally, I never thought the term 'boy' was offensive. But fine, any word can be hateful if used in a certain context. Does that mean that 'n-gger' or 'n-gga' should become socially acceptable? No... because the word boy means 'male' and the N-word mean 'ignorant and uneducated'.

I think it is fair to say in modern American (emphasized only because I can't speak for other nations) society that everyone has an education to some extent. Therefore, it has no real place in the English language anymore. Does the term 'carpet-bagger' still exist? Only in historical context. So why is it too much to hope that this one word pass from the English language as the other words that were born of that era?

When I said That guy is one "bad dude"

You can look up the word bad and find all kinds of meanings.

The B word has all kinds of meanings.

F-g is a cigarette.

The N word is not ONLY an offensive word.

Finally Hate is in the heart....How any word is used can be offensive...

There are girls at my job who some guys say are ugly...

They call them Star...which is Rats backwards...

They in their face say Hi star...but really calling them rats...

The delivery of a word changes the meaning....

Sorry I just dont' agree with you

Yes "*kitten*" is a cigarette but the word "*aggot" is not. The derogatory meaning of the shortened word is derived from the derogatory latter word. Changing the word does not change the meaning or the damage it does.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    A lot of interesting thoughts here.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I'm mixed black and white.

The other day another mixed man asked me if I was yellow.
    Now I am not easily offended so it didn't offend me but I noticed I didn't like the term.
    Even though I am mixed I predominantly go with calling myself black when filling out paperwork and such.
    I don't say African-American when asked, but it doesn't bother me or seem politically incorrect to me if other people do.

I don't like colored. My grandma who I love so dearly and is the sweetest most accepting person in the world, is also white. We were in the store one day and she said to ask "The colored young gentleman" working there for help. I found myself explaining to her that I didn't think it appropriate in these days to use that term. My only reason behind it is this term along with the N-word was used in a derogatory fashion and when it's used it can be taken wrong.

I learned in my African-American studies class that the term mullatto was also derogatory, I used to use this term because I thought it sounded cool haha. My mom always told me when I was younger I would say "I'm not black, I'm brown!"

Times change, and with times terms will change as well. I have friends that use the N-word, my dad's family all use it, I don't like it, and I don't prefer to use it myself, but it doesn't bother me either because I know their use behind it is not to slander. And I would hope that anyone who does use it as a racist term will someday learn that no matter the pigment in our skin we all bleed blood, breathe air and live life. The same with the black community that still blame the white community or any other race...it's one thing to acknowledge history and your heritage but it's another to live in the past and continue to separate yourself.

Like some few have said, I prefer to be called by name, I am Mariah, I am human as are you.
    Now who wants to be this human's friend :wink:
    Meeeee! Because that was freakin well said! you go girl!

Yeah, awesome post!
  • ba18ba18a
    Options
    I'm mixed black and white.

The other day another mixed man asked me if I was yellow.
    Now I am not easily offended so it didn't offend me but I noticed I didn't like the term.
    Even though I am mixed I predominantly go with calling myself black when filling out paperwork and such.
    I don't say African-American when asked, but it doesn't bother me or seem politically incorrect to me if other people do.

I don't like colored. My grandma who I love so dearly and is the sweetest most accepting person in the world, is also white. We were in the store one day and she said to ask "The colored young gentleman" working there for help. I found myself explaining to her that I didn't think it appropriate in these days to use that term. My only reason behind it is this term along with the N-word was used in a derogatory fashion and when it's used it can be taken wrong.

I learned in my African-American studies class that the term mullatto was also derogatory, I used to use this term because I thought it sounded cool haha. My mom always told me when I was younger I would say "I'm not black, I'm brown!"

Times change, and with times terms will change as well. I have friends that use the N-word, my dad's family all use it, I don't like it, and I don't prefer to use it myself, but it doesn't bother me either because I know their use behind it is not to slander. And I would hope that anyone who does use it as a racist term will someday learn that no matter the pigment in our skin we all bleed blood, breathe air and live life. The same with the black community that still blame the white community or any other race...it's one thing to acknowledge history and your heritage but it's another to live in the past and continue to separate yourself.

Like some few have said, I prefer to be called by name, I am Mariah, I am human as are you.
    Now who wants to be this human's friend :wink:

THAT was AWESOME! Well said.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    One of my friends who is black once told me that he finds the term "white trash" to be particularly offensive to black people. I would never have thought of it, but after he told me this, I totally understood where he was coming from. Since then, I can not stand that term. It always reminds me that we are all probably far more insensitive in our ignorance than we care to admit.
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You asked for thoughts from "older" people and I qualify on that account. It is an interesting and important question. Way back when -- I'm thinking back to way before you were even born, the terms were either "people of color" or "Negros." But at that time, Caucasians were typically called "white." Now, I'm actually no more "white" than you are "black." I was always told my complexion was olive, which always upset me because it made me think of a sickly green shade. Yuch! And you, your hair is more black than your complexion. Actually, my hair was the same color as yours before it turned gray.

It was sometime in the 1960s as I recall that it was thought that if Caucasians were white, then Negros would insist on being called black. That was also the beginning of the phrase "black pride." A decade or so later, about the time the TV mini-series "Roots" came out, someone decided that black pride needed to incorporate a pride in the African continent. With that, came the African-American label. Why? We don't refer to Irish-Americans, German-Americans, Polish-Americans. But, the term stuck and left many with the same question you have. What term should we use? Besides, it seems silly to refer to anyone by a continent. There are many countries on that continent and it certainly makes a difference which part of Africa ones ancestors lived in just as there is a difference in racial traits between people from the USA and people from Mexico even though both are technically from the North American continent.

As for me, I try not to use any term except American, or American Citizen. Our census forms ask for race -- I write "American Citizen." Race or the continent of one's ancestors going back dozens of generations shouldn't matter, period! Sadly, it does. Maybe some day we can all just be people.

Of course, this is only my thoughts on the topic. I'm certain that others think differently and that's okay, too. Especially for those of different races. There is no way I can ever share the experiences of people in another race so I can't possibly wrap my thoughts around how other think and feel. Please forgive this shortcoming in me.

Not only are you "old" - you are wise!

Thank you kindly. Now, if only laughing out loud counted as an exercise. . . :laugh: