"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options

Replies

• Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ok, I will give my serious opinion........

Eskimos are people too.

me thinks you had a little too much beer!
    :drinker::drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

Until you grasp that concept...you will not undestand this debate....

I was always taught that substituting a word for something else, doesn't really change it's meaning. In other words, I wasn't allowed to say words like 'crap' or '*kitten*'.

It does in this case among black people..

N-gga is a term of endearment

I think that is a bit of a stretch. The correct response is entirely dependent upon the correct pronunciation of the word. What if someone has an accent? I think either pronunciation represents hate regardless of whatever meaning it has adopted in modern language.

Trust me I am black...I know what people who are like me think...Not all black people are pro N word...but the ones who are....knows the difference...and when we are saying it to each other...We make sure to clarify the A sound veruses the ER sound
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    I know someone is about to upset with this one, but y'all hve the right to be upset and i hve the right to ask.
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOO why is it offensive for some to be called, "African American, Black, Black American, Afro American People of colour" but umm, the N word is used SOOO loosely?

I think Louis CK best explains that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1NUposXVQ

his thoughts on White people.LOL
    http://youtu.be/TG4f9zR5yzY
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I prefer "soul challenged"... but I get called "ginger".... to each their own.

Oh good, I'm not the only one.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I hail from a pretty small town that, when I was a kid, was not overly diverse people-wise. I still remember being at the park, and having another young girl call me a "stupid N-" because I called her out for cutting in line at the slide. I couldn't even reply I was so taken aback. Who trains their kids to speak that way?

I spent 1-1/2 yrs in Jamaica, and was incessantly referred to as "brownin".

A month or so ago I was across the street visiting with my neighbors (their family is Mexican and Samoan) when an extended family member asked me where I was from. I told her northern California. She clarified "No, I mean what nationality are you?" When I told her German (mostly), she exclaimed that she thought I was Puerto Rican.

I replied, "Nope, just a white chick." I just spend an inordinate amount of time outdoors.

BTW, I use the term black when needed.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

I think it depends on the person, Tacos. My husband is black and he finds both of those offensive. He hates that black people use those terms among themselves. He's (probably) older than you though, so perhaps it's a generational thing?

Edited: I see you pretty much acknowledged this in a previous post that I missed. I get what you're saying.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

I think it depends on the person, Tacos. My husband is black and he finds both of those offensive. He hates that black people use those terms among themselves. He's (probably) older than you though, so perhaps it's a generational thing?

YES! YES! IT is a generation thing..and perhaps where you were brought up too...My dad uses the N-gga as a term of endearment..but my mom...She does not like it.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

I was always taught that substituting a word for something else, doesn't really change it's meaning. In other words, I wasn't allowed to say words like 'crap' or '*kitten*'.

not this black person I think that's just stupid, then they get upset when "white" people use it!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    fried_chicken_and_waffles.jpg

NOM NOM NOMZ
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

Thank you! If I EVER here my son saying that he will be toothless. It's not cute, endearing or anything else like that. There is so much negativity behind the true meaning of that word. Changing the spelling or pronunciation doesn't change the derivative or meaning.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

not this black person I think that's just stupid, then they get upset when "white" people use it!

Yes...depending on where you from and generation you grew up in....

It's like someone said early...Two girls calling each other the B word but not wanting a guy to say it...
    I get that...

I am ok with somoene who is gay jokingly calling each other the F word...

I have no problem with the N word used by black people only..

It's a matter of choice
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    [but we need a term for when they are beind dscussed as a group...like for the upcoming election...How much of the black/african american vote can Romney get?

Don't bring politics in this please!

Especially from a party who does not even try to get the black vote...

it was an example of how we need a word to call black/AA as a group because someoone else said we should just call them by name.

Thanks to those of you who commented positively on my first post. Whew, I'm trying to catch up reading what everyone is saying and you all are posting two pages for every page I read!

But this, too, is something that bugs me up the wazoo. All this taking polls and listing which group thinks this and which group thinks that. Telling a poster my race, background or age is something else I would never do. We have to simply have to resist all attempts to classify and divide us.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Seriously?!?!

Yea, i mean i've talked to some (now) white friends and at first if they said something and used the word "black (in a non racist way of coarse) they'd look at me all weird and say sorry and switch it around to African American. and im just like, its ok *puzzled look on my face*
    I gave up long ago--if they're American, I refer to them as black, unless I know the individual prefers another term. I've offended people both ways, and will likely continue to do so. Most of my friends prefer "black" and think "African American" doesn't apply to them because they are American first, black second, and don't know their family history going back to Africa. I've got my family history going back 3 generations only, and there are several ethnicities mixed in there, but apparently I'm just "white."
  • sassylm22
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

I agree with your husband! they are both offensive and disrespectful. Even kidding around is not cute. Both my nephew and brother when they hang out with theirs friends they always say this to each and i rip a new one into all of them whenever I hear it. and if they are next to me they both get popped upside their head. including their friends. trust they never say around me anymore!

• EyeLikeTacos
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

Thank you! If I EVER here my son saying that he will be toothless. It's not cute, endearing or anything else like that. There is so much negativity behind the true meaning of that word. Changing the spelling or pronunciation doesn't change the derivative or meaning.

Ok...So let me ask you this? Do you feel the word Boy is an offenssive word? How abou the word BAD?

Changging the delivery of the word DOES change the context of the word....If I said "What's up my N-gga"

That's not deragatory...

But I a middled aged southern racist white man said "Hi, Boy" to me.

I would be offended...
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    is Sexual Chocolate still available?

I hear it's coming to Americal....
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I am not racist either, i am fair.
    Whew. Glad you said that. It's always best for white people who use the "n word" to follow-up with, "I'm not racist either".
    Referring to the time that I was insulted racially and fought fire w/fire. It really shows that either you have never been close friends with anyone black, or maybe they were raised different and don't use the word. IDK.
    Danilee...I will go out on a limb and defend you for a second...

I totally get what you mean..There are few ...I mean a few white people who have been around black people soo damn long..it's as iff they are now part of the family...I myself have a white friend who we call the n word too..and he is allowed to use it among me and my family and friends...he is trully a black man in a white man's body...AND get this ...he from Texas.

Thank you :) I guess that some people just can't understand.

As a white person no I don't understand. I work with a woman who is like a mother to me and she is black... and if I called her that she would not only be hurt that I called her that (because she is not that) but she would think less of me... so no I don't understand either... but then again, I don't call my friends deragotory names of any kind, whether it's accepted or not.

Let me explain the difference...You said " I work with a woman who is like a mother to me and she is black"

You did not say..."I grew up with black people and I was pretty much the ONLY white person in their crew....I am like family to them"

That's when the N word is allowed to be used...

and we aren't referring to the N-gger we are referring to N-gga

Therre is a difference..and if you don't know...it's because you have NOT been around enought black people to know the difference

But even growing up around Mexicans and Hispanics (yes there is a difference as have been told by many of my Mexican-American friends), I wouldn't call them derogatory names either... So I don't see how that is much different.

You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

Then I guess I will never understand as to why it's ok to use a shortened version of a dergatory word... And I'm gonna bet that if I walked up to any of my black friends or co-workers (as a white woman) and said, "what's up my n_gga!" that they would yell at me and never speak to me again...
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I like to say I'm a mutt. I'm German, Jewish, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, British, Cherokee, and Blackfoot. And that's the parts I KNOW about!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

I think that is a bit of a stretch. The correct response is entirely dependent upon the correct pronunciation of the word. What if someone has an accent? I think either pronunciation represents hate regardless of whatever meaning it has adopted in modern language.

Trust me I am black...I know what people who are like me think...Not all black people are pro N word...but the ones who are....knows the difference...and when we are saying it to each other...We make sure to clarify the A sound veruses the ER sound

But my point is that it is limited to the black population. Maybe white Americans can get away with it if they know how to use it, but someone from another country with communication issues might not know how to pronounce it correctly or know the correct context. Then, it suddenly turns back into a word of hate. So why take risks and use it all? Why not let it pass into the chasms of archaic nonsense?