"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options

Replies

• sassylm22
    Options
    I'm mixed black and white.

The other day another mixed man asked me if I was yellow.
    Now I am not easily offended so it didn't offend me but I noticed I didn't like the term.
    Even though I am mixed I predominantly go with calling myself black when filling out paperwork and such.
    I don't say African-American when asked, but it doesn't bother me or seem politically incorrect to me if other people do.

I don't like colored. My grandma who I love so dearly and is the sweetest most accepting person in the world, is also white. We were in the store one day and she said to ask "The colored young gentleman" working there for help. I found myself explaining to her that I didn't think it appropriate in these days to use that term. My only reason behind it is this term along with the N-word was used in a derogatory fashion and when it's used it can be taken wrong.

I learned in my African-American studies class that the term mullatto was also derogatory, I used to use this term because I thought it sounded cool haha. My mom always told me when I was younger I would say "I'm not black, I'm brown!"

Times change, and with times terms will change as well. I have friends that use the N-word, my dad's family all use it, I don't like it, and I don't prefer to use it myself, but it doesn't bother me either because I know their use behind it is not to slander. And I would hope that anyone who does use it as a racist term will someday learn that no matter the pigment in our skin we all bleed blood, breathe air and live life. The same with the black community that still blame the white community or any other race...it's one thing to acknowledge history and your heritage but it's another to live in the past and continue to separate yourself.

Like some few have said, I prefer to be called by name, I am Mariah, I am human as are you.
    Now who wants to be this human's friend :wink:
    Meeeee! Because that was freakin well said! you go girl!
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

Until you grasp that concept...you will not undestand this debate....

I was always taught that substituting a word for something else, doesn't really change it's meaning. In other words, I wasn't allowed to say words like 'crap' or '*kitten*'.

It does in this case among black people..

N-gga is a term of endearment

not this black person I think that's just stupid, then they get upset when "white" people use it!
    Ditto. It's never been a term used in my family or my black friends.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    ....for the Older generation. I know this is a weight loss site, but i know there's a diverse group of ppl here who i can get responses from. With that being said, why is it that some "ppl of colour" get upset when they are referred to as BLACK instead of AFRICAN AMERICAN. Maybe i hvnt spent enough time in history class, but i am black, whts the big difference?

I am 62. Back in the 60's when a lot of the civil rights came to fruition, and then into the 70's, the term Black rose from the culture itself. Terms like 'Black, & Proud of it!, Black Power, Black Panthers, Black is Beautiful'. gave this label to the common reference. Accepted by most everyone in the day. Hence, that is still the term I refer to today. That was the prefernce when I was a young soldier by everyone.

Now, no offense intended, nor will I argue the point, but My personal opinion of the term African American can only refer to a native born in Africa who has American citizenship, or has dual citizenship parents. Your ancestry may be of African descent, fine. But that does not make you African American. I am not English, German American. I am an American. You may refer to yourself as you choose, but is does not make it correct. Like it or not, that 's the way it works.

Never lose track of your history. Be proud of your heritage. It is your birth right.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    In my grandmother's generation you were Negro or colored.

In my mother's generation, you were Black. Being called a Negro was less than desirable, but you could still get away with it.

In my generation, you were African-American. During the '90's the term African-American reached a fevered pitch. Being called Black was less than desirable, and being referred to as colored or a Negro would get you cussed out.

In my children's generation, it looks like we're going back to Black. Being called African-American is less than desirable, but you can get away with it. Being called a Negro or colored will absolutely get you cussed out.

My grandmother still calls Black people colored. She's not trying to be offensive, it's simply what her generation called Black people.

I guess I could get philosophical and say we are all Americans, why does it make a difference, blah, blah, blah. However, the fact of the matter is, it's just the way our society is; Black Americans NEED to be called something.

So, with that being said, I prefer Black, and always have.

Also, if you're White, and you call a Black person a ******, you're a racist in my mind. I couldn't care less what your explanation is. Of call words to pick, why pick that one??
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I prefer "soul challenged"... but I get called "ginger".... to each their own.

Bwahahahahahaha!!!

If African-Americans/Blacks are people of color, and I am very fair skinned, then am I colorless?

Seriosuly, I have always wondered:
    a) aren't we all AMERICANS?!
    b) if you can call me white, than why can't I call you black? Or should I be a Caucasian-American? (Actually a Scottish-Canadian-Irish American, but whatever...)

Judging from the number of metric progress banners people have on their posts, I would say that no, we are not all Americans....
    Do you mean North American or U.S. of America?
    Any way lots here from the U.K. and Aus.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I don't like the hyphen American, I feel that it separates people to much. I'm an American I was born and raised here. Black is ok, but if you want color, then everyone is a form of that color, brown, beige, tan, it gets confusing. The N word is a no-no, I feel it's like calling someone Fatty Fatty, name calling doesn't help anyone it just hurts. Just saying that people do stupid things. If you like person of color, or African American, then tell people what you prefer. I call my friends, My friends, and A**holes, A**holes, their color has nothing to do with it.

Nice post. You've got the picture. We're Americans, doesn't matter the color. We're people. Let's try and get along and make this world a better place.

This is one of my favorite threads ever.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I like to say I'm a mutt. I'm German, Jewish, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, British, Cherokee, and Blackfoot. And that's the parts I KNOW about!!

Holy crap. I think that means you get to enslave yourself, and immediately afterwards sue yourself for reparations.

Let us know how it all turns out, 'k?
  • ba18ba18a
    Options
    N word is used by mostly blacks, and some whites. I say the N word. Maybe it's a TX thing. I am not going to lie, it is what it is, oh and when I use the N word, I don't discriminate.
    NOT "a TX thing". I've never used that word.

That is NOT a TX thing. That's your personal thing.
  • carollopez89
    Options
    my fiance is Black and prefers being called Black instead of African American. He doesn't get all offended or anything if they don't though. I'm Mexican American yet I get called Hispanic all the darn time lol, everyone has their likes and dislikes.
  • carollopez89
    Options
    oh and I'm from Texas and umm using the N word is NOT a TX thing!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I like to say I'm a mutt. I'm German, Jewish, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, British, Cherokee, and Blackfoot. And that's the parts I KNOW about!!

Holy crap. I think that means you get to enslave yourself, and immediately afterwards sue yourself for reparations.

LMAO I said it's a good thing I don't have multiple personalities or they'd all be trying to kill each other! :laugh:
  • tlonie
    tlonie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    In my grandmother's generation you were Negro or colored.

In my mother's generation, you were Black. Being called a Negro was less than desirable, but you could still get away with it.

In my generation, you were African-American. During the '90's the term African-American reached a fevered pitch. Being called Black was less than desirable, and being referred to as colored or a Negro would get you cussed out.

In my children's generation, it looks like we're going back to Black. Being called African-American is less than desirable, but you can get away with it. Being called a Negro or colored will absolutely get you cussed out.

My grandmother still calls Black people colored. She's not trying to be offensive, it's simply what her generation called Black people.

I guess I could get philosophical and say we are all Americans, why does it make a difference, blah, blah, blah. However, the fact of the matter is, it's just the way our society is; Black Americans NEED to be called something.

So, with that being said, I prefer Black, and always have.

Also, if you're White, and you call a Black person a ******, you're a racist in my mind. I couldn't care less what your explanation is. Of call words to pick, why pick that one??

Agree and well written:drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

I was always taught that substituting a word for something else, doesn't really change it's meaning. In other words, I wasn't allowed to say words like 'crap' or '*kitten*'.

Thank you! If I EVER here my son saying that he will be toothless. It's not cute, endearing or anything else like that. There is so much negativity behind the true meaning of that word. Changing the spelling or pronunciation doesn't change the derivative or meaning.

Ok...So let me ask you this? Do you feel the word Boy is an offenssive word? How abou the word BAD?

Changging the delivery of the word DOES change the context of the word....If I said "What's up my N-gga"

That's not deragatory...

But I a middled aged southern racist white man said "Hi, Boy" to me.

I would be offended...

Personally, I never thought the term 'boy' was offensive. But fine, any word can be hateful if used in a certain context. Does that mean that 'n-gger' or 'n-gga' should become socially acceptable? No... because the word boy means 'male' and the N-word mean 'ignorant and uneducated'.

I think it is fair to say in modern American (emphasized only because I can't speak for other nations) society that everyone has an education to some extent. Therefore, it has no real place in the English language anymore. Does the term 'carpet-bagger' still exist? Only in historical context. So why is it too much to hope that this one word pass from the English language as the other words that were born of that era?
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

LMAO I said it's a good thing I don't have multiple personalities or they'd all be trying to kill each other! :laugh:

And also scalp yourself while you're drunk and building a railroad across the west.

(Did I hit all the historical stereotypes there?)
  • shuga_shay
    shuga_shay Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Although many people consider us "African American" or "Black" I do not identify with either. I consider myself American or mixed. I am Irish and Antiguan first generation from both sides. I never saw myself as African America or Black because of the two cultures I was raised in that made me who I am. I am not just one or the other. I do not see why I should be forced to have to identify with one particular culture, when the combination has created me. When people ask me what I am I simply say my name. It may sound silly but, what difference does it make if I am black or African American? At the end of the day, regardless of what I say or do, how much I make or how successful I become in this life I will always be viewed as a minority, so why pigeonhole myself with negative thoughts when there are plenty of people to do it for me who will if they have not already developed thoughts and opinions based off stereotypes? *shrugs* I am just saying...
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Back in the late 90s, I was out of town on business and having a drink in the hotel bar. The news was on the television. An older (about 55-60ish) black man was sitting to my right. The news story mentioned something about an "African American" and the guy to my right just looked away and shook his head. He then looked at me and said, "In the 50s, I was colored. In the 60s, I was a negro. In the 70s, I was an afro-American. In the 80s, I was black. Now, I'm African-American. What am I gonna be next year?" I said, "The kinda guy I wanna have a beer with," and I bought him a beer. We hung out for a good hour or more talking about anything and everything under the sun. Helluva cool guy.
  • danilee1020
    danilee1020 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people live in the politically correct fantasy land. Sorry for the people in TX that have never used the word or have and black friends that use the word. Im truly sorry that I have offended anyone. I love all black and white and mexican and canadian people.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    You missed the point...

N-gger is deragatory

N-gga is not

Thank you! If I EVER here my son saying that he will be toothless. It's not cute, endearing or anything else like that. There is so much negativity behind the true meaning of that word. Changing the spelling or pronunciation doesn't change the derivative or meaning.

Ok...So let me ask you this? Do you feel the word Boy is an offenssive word? How abou the word BAD?

Changging the delivery of the word DOES change the context of the word....If I said "What's up my N-gga"

That's not deragatory...

But I a middled aged southern racist white man said "Hi, Boy" to me.

I would be offended...

Personally, I never thought the term 'boy' was offensive. But fine, any word can be hateful if used in a certain context. Does that mean that 'n-gger' or 'n-gga' should become socially acceptable? No... because the word boy means 'male' and the N-word mean 'ignorant and uneducated'.

I think it is fair to say in modern American (emphasized only because I can't speak for other nations) society that everyone has an education to some extent. Therefore, it has no real place in the English language anymore. Does the term 'carpet-bagger' still exist? Only in historical context. So why is it too much to hope that this one word pass from the English language as the other words that were born of that era?

To be honest, I always thought the N-word derived from the latin languages for the word black... but thought that in the English language because of how it was used (particularly here in the States) it was deemed derogatory...
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options

When I said That guy is one "bad dude"

You can look up the word bad and find all kinds of meanings.

The B word has all kinds of meanings.

F-g is a cigarette.

The N word is not ONLY an offensive word.

Finally Hate is in the heart....How any word is used can be offensive...

There are girls at my job who some guys say are ugly...

They call them Star...which is Rats backwards...

They in their face say Hi star...but really calling them rats...

The delivery of a word changes the meaning....

Sorry I just dont' agree with you