Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Parents- HPV vaccine for girls......yes or no?

Options

Replies

• myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    this wont be the same for everyone just saying this is my past story. I had the vaccine and my sister was taken care of by someone else who did not give it to her. she had to have her cervical cancer removed when she was in her early 20s. I never had any effects for it.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    nahmm83 wrote: »
    My daughters receive vaccines, but I'm still undecided regarding the HPV vaccine.....I've done my research and their doctor is also adamant about them receiving the vaccine. However, I wanted to ask for your opinions on why you had (or didn't have) your daughter receive the HPV vaccine.

Someone mentioned neurological problems related to Gardrasil. Several years ago there was in fact a series of serious and sometimes deadly reactions to the vaccine, however if I recall correctly it was linked to a single batch that was used in Europe. Since then I haven't heard anything beyond isolated incidents that occur with every vaccination, and everyone I know who has received it didn't suffer anything more than muscle bruising and a few days of fever.

Personally I don't intend to get it, mostly because I have life-threatening reactions to most vaccines, but also partly because there is still a lot of doubt among the medical community as to the effectiveness of the vaccine. My biggest concern with any daughters getting it would be the infertility issue, mainly because fertility is already a problem through my mom's side (myself included), but as long as they've taken the time to learn about it and understand the risks, I'd support it if they asked for the vaccine. Most of the evidence weighs in the vaccine's favor at this point.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Sorry to whomever thought that I said no to having my daughters receive the hpv vaccination......I never said no. Undecided, yes.....but never a "NO". Proud to say that my 2 oldest daughters of age to recieve the vaccination received them today!!! Thanks ya'll. Especially to the women who had to overcome all the calamities associated with either not receiving the vaccination or actually with hpv itself. Thank you, really helped me make the decision in talking with my daughters and choosing to get the vaccine.

Awesome update! Great idea to include your daughters in making the decision.
  • nahmm83
    nahmm83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    @cinnag4225 I can relate to the concerns with infertility. I have PCOS and was one of the few who never had any infertility issues. I've been blessed with 5 kids, but I have a cousin who also has PCOS and had 3 miscarriages and finally decided to adopt. Also have an aunt with PCOS that almost lost her second child and had to have bed rest for the last 4 months of her pregnancy all due to complications related to PCOS. Therefore, the vaccine would probably increase the chance of infertility (if any), if one of my girls were to have PCOS.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes to the vaccine if I had a daughter.
    I would like to see it offered for males too.
    Yes they have it for males. If your child is sexually active, you want them to get this vaccine. Cervical cancer is no joke for a girl. Throat cancer is no joke for a boy.

• suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yes to the vaccine if I had a daughter.
    I would like to see it offered for males too.
    Yes they have it for males. If your child is sexually active, you want them to get this vaccine. Cervical cancer is no joke for a girl. Throat cancer is no joke for a boy.

It's best administered before they become sexually activity.
  • alaine5377
    alaine5377 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My daughters receive vaccines, but I'm still undecided regarding the HPV vaccine.....I've done my research and their doctor is also adamant about them receiving the vaccine. However, I wanted to ask for your opinions on why you had (or didn't have) your daughter receive the HPV vaccine.

I don't have a daughter, however, I was able to get the vaccine right when it came out. Having reactions to vaccines are rare. But i would listen to her Dr.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    They do it at school here in the UK. Obviously parents can opt out for their child, but I think the majority of girls get it.

My daughters are only 5 and 2, but if they were older they'd definitely have it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I figure if my daughters want it I'll pay the co-pay.
  • sbergen3088
    sbergen3088 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have both a daughter and a son and I had both of them receive this vaccination. Neither of them have had any I'll effects from the vaccine and it gives me some peace of mind that they are protected from certain strands of disease. Both received the vaccine when they were 16 and 17.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options

I used to be against it, but after giving it a LOT of thought, I will be doing it for both my daughters. Even if my girls were to remain virgins until they married, unless they too married virgins there is still the possibility of them getting HPV and then cervical cancer. I don't want them to have that risk. So, I plan to have them vaccinated to protect them.

I have a friend that never had HPV until she married her second husband, who had it with no symptoms. So, she ended up getting it from him. Now, she has to worry about the possibility of cervical cancer. She wishes the vaccine was around when she was younger.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I would've gotten this for myself but I was *JUST* over the age cutoff. I'm still greatly annoyed they wouldn't let me sign a waiver and get it.
  • HappyLisa66
    HappyLisa66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, my 4 daughters and 3 sons have all received the vaccine.
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP directly, no one here or on any internet forum is going to have an opinion that should outweigh your doctor's.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    yes definitely... my daughter had it in middle school.. she may need it again.. as it was a relatively new vaccine when she first received it.. but I asked my own family doctor the same question.. would she give it to her children.. she said yes
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to start anything...(I did not read the thread)...but is it too much to suggest abstinence? Worked for many - without the vaccines.

Having lots of partners is bad period. Finding a steady, non-sleazy/non-cheating partner when ready for something serious and sticking with him - that sounds like a nice option without complications. No?

Or has this become the domain of fairy-tales in our world? ...
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but I work for one. His opinion is that you owe it to your children to vaccinate them against this.

Like aashwill wrote, no one in this peanut gallery is going to have a truly informed opinion like that of your pediatrician. (Perhaps docmahi, because... doctor!)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Not even a question. Of course