Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    BABetter1 wrote: »
    jameela798 wrote: »
    Oh hey, one other thing. I'm also on LCHF, and I spent 2 or 3 weeks fluctuating up and down the same 3 or 4 pounds (even though I was eating under my calorie goals). I finally picked up a tip from a Keto group and figured out that I had to ditch the nitrates/nitrites. I was eating a lot of processed meat (like beef hot dogs, turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon, etc.) Once I stopped that, I have been steadily losing. I still have days where I end up eating a lot more protein than I planned, but I am still losing weight.

So do you not eat any process meat anymore?? I eat a lot of pepperoni and bacon! Do you think I should avoid these on a daily basis then cause of the nitrates in them?

I can't say I NEVER eat it anymore. It's just too convenient. But, I am trying to limit it a lot or eliminate it altogether. I was eating a lot of turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon, and hot dogs (because summer, kids, and cooking out a lot). When I stopped eating those things for a week, my weight began to drop again. This week, I did eat hot dogs a couple of times, and my weight spiked up immediately.

And you don't think the sodium in processed meat has anything to do with that?

The fact that I'm on a LCHF diet means that I NEED to have plenty of sodium in my diet. I can eat minimally processed food and load it up with salt, and not experience the same effect. So, no, I don't believe it's the sodium.

Why does a low carb diet NEED 'plenty' of sodium?
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Oh hey, one other thing. I'm also on LCHF, and I spent 2 or 3 weeks fluctuating up and down the same 3 or 4 pounds (even though I was eating under my calorie goals). I finally picked up a tip from a Keto group and figured out that I had to ditch the nitrates/nitrites. I was eating a lot of processed meat (like beef hot dogs, turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon, etc.) Once I stopped that, I have been steadily losing. I still have days where I end up eating a lot more protein than I planned, but I am still losing weight.

So do you not eat any process meat anymore?? I eat a lot of pepperoni and bacon! Do you think I should avoid these on a daily basis then cause of the nitrates in them?

I can't say I NEVER eat it anymore. It's just too convenient. But, I am trying to limit it a lot or eliminate it altogether. I was eating a lot of turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon, and hot dogs (because summer, kids, and cooking out a lot). When I stopped eating those things for a week, my weight began to drop again. This week, I did eat hot dogs a couple of times, and my weight spiked up immediately.

The fact that I'm on a LCHF diet means that I NEED to have plenty of sodium in my diet. I can eat minimally processed food and load it up with salt, and not experience the same effect. So, no, I don't believe it's the sodium.

Hey, I'm not going to get into a debate with you about LCHF. If you do not know the answer to your question, you might not want to be involved in this thread since the OP specified she is eating LCHF, and therefore her question is specific to LCHF diet. Have a nice day.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Hey, I'm not going to get into a debate with you about LCHF. If you do not know the answer to your question, you might not want to be involved in this thread since the OP specified she is eating LCHF, and therefore her question is specific to LCHF diet. Have a nice day.

It wasn't a debate, I merely had never heard of needing more sodium when you're low carb so was asking the question, but you obviously have an attitude about it so....
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

It wasn't a debate, I merely had never heard of needing more sodium when you're low carb so was asking the question, but you obviously have an attitude about it so....

Been attacked on these forums too many times TavistockToad. And, both of your questions seemed to have a bit of a condescending "attitude" so . . . . Google is your friend. I am not.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @TavistockToad Just in case your question is sincere: LCHF is well-known for its diuretic effect. Carbs cause the body to hang on to more water. Depending on how low the carb intake is, a significant amount of extra sodium (and potassium sometimes) is helpful to combat the orthostasis (low blood pressure causing dizziness) that results.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

You do need more sodium on LCHF, at least in the initial stages where you are using up your glycogen stores, which are bound in water. When you lose water weight, sodium goes with it. Many low carb "flu" symptoms are directly related to low levels of sodium, potassium, and/or magnesium. Getting more salt in your diet, and possibly supplementing with potassium and magnesium can help. Once you have been low carb for a decent amount of time, you can back off (at least I was able to). Processed meats are something I only have occasionally as I do find the super high sodium levels cause water retention. Salting my food doesn't cause this, and even eating foods that have somewhat high sodium (think roasted nuts or cheese) doesn't pose a problem. But hot dogs, kielbasa, bacon, and other cured/smoked meats? Yeah, the ultra high sodium levels will cause water weight gain. Heck, even just dining out and sticking with low carb - restaraunt food tends to be ultra high in sodium and I gain a couple lbs over night. Don't get me wrong, I don't go out of my way to keep sodium low, and probably get a bit more than I used to, but once I was done dropping water wieght I found I didn't need to actively seek out salt, and having a wicked high sodium meal does cause water retention. HTH!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    @TavistockToad Just in case your question is sincere: LCHF is well-known for its diuretic effect. Carbs cause the body to hang on to more water. Depending on how low the carb intake is, a significant amount of extra sodium (and potassium sometimes) is helpful to combat the orthostasis (low blood pressure causing dizziness) that results.

It was, thanks.

I don't low carb but that doesn't mean I don't want to learn more. Every days a school day!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

You do need more sodium on LCHF, at least in the initial stages where you are using up your glycogen stores, which are bound in water. When you lose water weight, sodium goes with it. Many low carb "flu" symptoms are directly related to low levels of sodium, potassium, and/or magnesium. Getting more salt in your diet, and possibly supplementing with potassium and magnesium can help. Once you have been low carb for a decent amount of time, you can back off (at least I was able to). Processed meats are something I only have occasionally as I do find the super high sodium levels cause water retention. Salting my food doesn't cause this, and even eating foods that have somewhat high sodium (think roasted nuts or cheese) doesn't pose a problem. But hot dogs, kielbasa, bacon, and other cured/smoked meats? Yeah, the ultra high sodium levels will cause water weight gain. Heck, even just dining out and sticking with low carb - restaraunt food tends to be ultra high in sodium and I gain a couple lbs over night. Don't get me wrong, I don't go out of my way to keep sodium low, and probably get a bit more than I used to, but once I was done dropping water wieght I found I didn't need to actively seek out salt, and having a wicked high sodium meal does cause water retention. HTH!