Healthy things to put on baked potatoes? (vegan)

Options

Replies

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I dip mine in hot sauce. I don't even cut the damn thing.
  • puddingtrees
    puddingtrees Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Vegan butter substitute, mixed bean salad and homous is my fave
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Sour cream, butter and chives. Yes, "healthy" can happen with these since food consumption is only a small part of overall health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sour cream, butter and chives. Yes, "healthy" can happen with these since food consumption is only a small part of overall health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

They can be healthy but they aren't vegan. Well, the chives are.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The healthiest vegan way to eat a baked potato is by itself. Maybe with a little salt and pepper. Plenty of carbs and fiber with vitamins near the skin.

I made twice baked potatoes when my daughter was on a restricted diet. I replaced the butter with olive oil, used garlic for extra zest, and sun dried tomatoes instead of bacon bits.

http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2015/12/creamy-twice-baked-potatoes-non-dairy-and-vegetarian-friendly.html
  • pattytracking
    pattytracking Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Another potato. :p
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    homemade guacamole yummy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I keep mine pretty simple...usually just some sour cream and chives or green onion and s&p. I'm pretty sure they make some kind of vegan sour cream substitute.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I keep mine pretty simple...usually just some sour cream and chives or green onion and s&p. I'm pretty sure they make some kind of vegan sour cream substitute.

They do... it's not horrible, but it is kind of flavorless. It's more of a texture replacement than anything, I guess.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on the texture of baked potatoes, but I like potato slices roasted with plenty of onion. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper and eat with sriracha. I guess you could saute onion and put that on top of your baked potato, season, and add sriracha.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The healthiest vegan way to eat a baked potato is by itself. Maybe with a little salt and pepper. Plenty of carbs and fiber with vitamins near the skin.

Why would that be the healthiest? Would it not be healthier to combine it with some protein and fat to turn it into a whole balanced meal?
    I'd second protein rich toppings like veggie chilli, curried chickpeas or lentils. Then a bit of oil drizzled on the top - how about chilli or garlic infused oil for extra flavour.
  • all_in_the_game
    all_in_the_game Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Make a cut in the potato, add some grated Daiya mozzarella cheese, season it with herbs as per your wish. Now bake it so it is infused with cheesy goodness and the subtle flavor of the herbs.

Sprinkle some cilantro over it.

Eat it with tamarind sauce for a zesty touch or with vegan mayo or coleslaw.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Baked potatoes are nice with vegan chili. I make twice baked chili potatoes all the time. Simple baked beans jacket potato is really good too, and provides some protein for a vegan.

jacket-potatoes-baked-beans.jpg
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I love the curried chickpeas idea. With some coconut milk yoghurt?

Haggis is a great baked potato topping, and vegan haggis is easy to make, I can dig out a recipe if you're interested. It's basically oats, onions, mushrooms, brown lentils and veg stock, with lots of salt, pepper and nutmeg, steamed in a dish in a slow cooker (or a pressure cooker, but I have never actually done it that way)

• gettingreallyfedupnow
    gettingreallyfedupnow Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like lentil daal on baked potatoes
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    (everything I do has already been named)
    Here are some unusual ideas that (hopefully) have not been named yet:
    ***note that when I mention "Not Cheese" I mean any vegan cheese substitute you like or nothing at all.
    • Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon Cashew Cream
    • Sweet Potato With Roasted Grape, Not Cheese, and Honey
    • Baked Potato with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms (I think this was named, but it is soooo good)
    • Broccoli and Not Cheese Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
    • Samosa-Inspired Baked Potato (Peas + curry + mustard seeds)
    • Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potato
    • Baked Sweet Potatoes With Not Cheese, Olives, and Sundried Tomatoes
    • Grilled Vegetables
    • Sweet Potato with Pecans, Cranberries, and Apples
    • Skinny Twice-Baked Potato Bites
    • Sea Salt Baked Potato with Arugula
    • Cranberry and Not Cheese Sweet Potato with Balsamic Glaze
    • Southwestern Baked Potato
    • Pepper and Avocado
    • Spiced Chickpea Sweet Potato
    • Stuffed Sweet Potato with Pecan and Marshmallow Streusel (adapt to make vegan)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    For the person that said another potato: There is a receipt for using the potato as a platform for dipping tater tots or stuffing with tater tots and drizzling with whatever condiments you like, they include cheese. Differently not healthy.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    onions, ranch dressing,
  • bluemaine1212
    bluemaine1212 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use salsa most of the time but mustard is also good on potatoes!
  • Gemini159
    Gemini159 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Saute up some crumbled tempeh with a dash of tamari- DELISH on baked potatoes, with a nice dollop of salsa or sauteed mushrooms (or something else on the juicy side). Yum.