Fit Shaming

Options
1235»

Replies

• 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if any of the posters above are from outside of the USA? Just wondering if this is a global societal issue, or more or less unique to the U.S.?

It does happen in the UK as well - "you've lost too much weight", "don't lose any more" or "you're obsessed" - all very supportive comments from some of my family and co-workers.

My daughter did once comment on a picture of Jessica Ennis-Hill that visible abs were "gross", which rather surprised me, as at the time she was a keen kick-boxer, and in pretty good condition. I saw the same picture and was thinking that I wished my abs were as good as JE-H's!
  • Chele_Belle_
    Chele_Belle_ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes and I agree with other posters that I receive more negative comments now than when I was heavy. People say things like "you're obsessed" and "you're getting to small."

I have also had a lot of negative comments in regards to the exercise I choose. I lift 3x per week and box for conditioning/cardio and good ol' fashion fun. The comments I receive as a woman boxing are endless. I ignore it and keep doing what I love and people have to accept that we will keep doing what we love.

I will make one comment in regards to stereotypes when it comes to men who are fit. I was very nervous the first time I walked into the boxing gym because I was afraid the men there would be unsupportive or make comments about someone just learning. Turned out the group is amazing and the men were so good at helping me with technique while still being hard enough on me to get good!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    For the guys (and maybe the girls), do more people try to start crap with you? Like trying to fight?
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    My feeling is that those comments made are much more about the person saying them then about you. Obviously they have not taken the time to get to know you and what motivates you. Their issues, let them carry them.

Well done on the fitness!

Precisely. As someone else pointed out... her views softened when she had other experiences with fit people (paraphrase). The person doing the judging - is the person with the issue - not what you do to better yourself. You cannot control what others say, feel or do.....don't worry about it. It's not you - even if others try to make it seem that way.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Agree with poster above and want to add that I make a point of banking observations about my coworkers and acquaintances so that I can head them off at the pass...as they are peering at my plate or eyeballing me up & down, I open my mouth first and say something like, "How is that sweet puppy Riley doing?" Or - "Please tell me how your vacation was, I'm dying to hear about it!" So much more interesting than my food or appearance.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    For the guys (and maybe the girls), do more people try to start crap with you? Like trying to fight?

I do remember getting a comment in a bar about 2 years ago that was clearly directed at me when I was looking the other direction, but I smiled, finished my drink, put my arm around my wife and left. It's that rare. Most of the comments I've received have been very positive, and I find other guys tend to be pretty cool. I have no desire to feed the occasional *kitten* hat's ego.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I removed the toxic influences from my life (friends/family/habits), which wasn't easy to do, and surrounded myself with those who are on the same page as me in terms of fitness, nutrition, exercise... until that point I felt fit-shamed and thin-shamed and even muscle-shamed LOL! The looks I get from both men and women when I'm walking my dog down the street wearing a tank top. Yup, I am muscular and yup, I love it! I am not over-muscular but more so than most women.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Fit shaming is real, usually coming from the less fit.

I was very disturbed recently when I found out my daughter actually had an interest in some school sports, and decided not to pursue them due to the larger kids fit shaming the more fit/healthy weight kids. It's a shame that people these days are so quick to judge anyone different from themselves.

Wow, that really sucks. It's a shame how different kids' experiences can be just because of where they go to school. My son is 14 and just finished 8th grade. He is big into sports, and is totally supported in that by the other athletic kids and the kids with other interests. I should note that the kids who don't play his sport (basketball) aren't particularly impressed (negatively or positively) by the kids who do - they just think it's cool that he enjoys it. He's the same way toward kids who do dance or drama or photography.

Also, more than a quarter of the kids in his middle school ran track this spring, and it was awesome --- there were kids of all sizes and shapes running, and they all seemed really supportive. Also, with their numbers, they won almost every meet (and got second in the city championships) despite being the smallest school competing.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Since losing over 80 lbs (and during, to be honest!), I haven't been able to have one family gathering, or girls day without comments. They are usually off-handed, I'm sure not meant maliciously, but they still sting. My family doesn't think highly of people who exercise, or calorie count, or even mention weight loss; Eyes roll, eye contact between my sisters, saying some silent message that my brain thinks MUST be an insult to me..and likely is. Everyone around me, except my children, hubby and Kodi Rose, are overweight by alot, and are in no hurry to do anything about it.
  • gjw1911
    gjw1911 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been fit shamed more than I was ever fat shamed. The absolute worst examples of so called attempts at "shaming" have come after loosing weight and getting fit.
    I would get comments like "are you sick" and the worst was "you look like a cancer patient". I have heard these many times since loosing weight.
    This fit shaming always comes from obese people, I strongly believe this is just jealousy!
  • pinksarah7
    pinksarah7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm constantly nagged at work for eating healthy. I have no problem passing up donuts to eat hard boiled eggs or veggie, but people are constantly having something to say about what I'm eating. Trust me, I'd love to eat sugary, fatty foods all day. I love food. But I feel better in general eating healthy. Then they have something to say about how small my waist is as if I was just given this body & do nothing for it. I put a lot of effort into working out & eating healthy.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I get "don't lose anymore weight you're too skinny now..." or looks when I'm asked if I'm still trying to lose weight and I'll say "yeah I want to be between a certain weight b/c that's a healthy weight for my height." It's from family members b/c I don't generally talk about my weight, diet, or exercise goals with other people. I know it's coming from a place of concern, so I don't let it bother me b/c I know it's all in love. They don't harp on me about it. It's 1 comment here and there and then we don't talk about it anymore until I see them the next week, lol.

I do have a few coworkers who I happily talk fitness with and who happily talk with me about it. They're runners and I pole and we talk protein, how long their runs were, if they're training for a marathon, new moves I learned in class, best stretches for a sore muscle, etc. It's nice.