Options
2»

Replies

• mailypr21
    mailypr21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jbradyho wrote: »
    mailypr21 wrote: »
    I am 5'4, in January I was 100. I always being thin. I started drinking ensure plus and I was gaining 1 pound every month. A week ago I was 106 and I started taking Apetamin it help me to gain weight is slowing my metabolism and give you more appetite. Also I'm monitoring my calories in take and now I am 112.

My goal is 115. I'm currently 5'2" and at 100lbs and have increased daily calories to 2400-2600 but haven't gained much yet. I did, but then I lost some. I'm also doing ensure plus. How frequently are you drinking them?

I drink ensure plus once or twice a day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    mailypr21 wrote: »
    I am 5'4, in January I was 100. I always being thin. I started drinking ensure plus and I was gaining 1 pound every month. A week ago I was 106 and I started taking Apetamin it help me to gain weight is slowing my metabolism and give you more appetite. Also I'm monitoring my calories in take and now I am 112.

no, it did not slow your metabolism...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Apetamin liquid is an antihistamine and vitamin supplement which some people find to be helpful in stimulating the appetite. It doesn't slow metabolism. It is somewhat pricey. The generic cyproheptadine in tablet form and a multivitamin taken together is much less expensive, if people find it to be helpful.
  • FrancescaMariehowlett
    Options
    Hi I'm 28, 5"7 and weigh 112. I've always been very slim my entire life and always been desperate to gain more weight. I have IBS and dairy intolerance which makes eating large meals hard! I'm also a Nursery Teacher so very active throughout the day. I'm trying to increase my calories, I have to have 2500 which I'm finding hard! Does anyone know any high calorie healthy snacks or drinks that I could have to try and gain more calories?! I'm hoping to get a appointment with a trainer at my gym next week to find out how to build muscle...I just find gyms so intimidating!!! To those of you who have tried apetamin, did it make you sleepy? Thanks :)
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you gradually up your calories, eventually you will get used to it. I think back to when I was cutting at 1600 and wondering how I was going to eat at maintenance with the changes in what I eat. But i don't eat based on appetite, at least not initially. I wasn't hungry when I added in a nighttime cereal snack but now I look forward to it. Baby steps.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi I'm 28, 5"7 and weigh 112. I've always been very slim my entire life and always been desperate to gain more weight. I have IBS and dairy intolerance which makes eating large meals hard! I'm also a Nursery Teacher so very active throughout the day. I'm trying to increase my calories, I have to have 2500 which I'm finding hard! Does anyone know any high calorie healthy snacks or drinks that I could have to try and gain more calories?! I'm hoping to get a appointment with a trainer at my gym next week to find out how to build muscle...I just find gyms so intimidating!!! To those of you who have tried apetamin, did it make you sleepy? Thanks :)

Look at my first post. The one link will help the food part and the 2nd link will give you a structured lifting program.
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thyroid got checked every 6 months while I was taking Amiodarone... great for heart, but very bad for thyroid, lungs, liver, eyes, etc. It did start tanking my thyroid, so they took me off it and put me on Metoprolol...not quite as good for my arrythmias, but doesn't wreck everything else.

SO! I got a feeding tube put in my stomach last Friday...still very sore. Going to continue 1800+ eating solids during the day, then another 1000 pumped in the tube at night, and hopefully that will help me gain weight (last Thursday I was already down to 71 lbs! I;m back up to 72.6 again today YAY)
  • Morriganmum
    Morriganmum Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    May I join in? I'm 5'2" and about 90lbs, my dream is to be about 115 lbs strong, fit, tight, toned, but with a nice fat layer that keeps me warm and not so angular. I swear I lose a pound if I blink, but it takes me a month of a million calories per day to put on a pound. I do a fair amount of mountain biking, running, and bodyweight exercises. Have a lot of food restrictions I have to work around.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    May I join in? I'm 5'2" and about 90lbs, my dream is to be about 115 lbs strong, fit, tight, toned, but with a nice fat layer that keeps me warm and not so angular. I swear I lose a pound if I blink, but it takes me a month of a million calories per day to put on a pound. I do a fair amount of mountain biking, running, and bodyweight exercises. Have a lot of food restrictions I have to work around.

Between the bold and the food restrictions, is probably why it's difficult for you to get to a good amount of calories to gain. You might have to look into some high calorie sources of food to help get your calories up on a consistent basis; this can include drinking a bunch of them.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Yes ma'am! My go to is triscuits and hummus, that for me will stop weight loss - it's a small package but calorific so it can be eaten in addition to my regular meals, not instead of them. High calorie, nutritious, tasty. Eat nuts with breakfast, too. Don't worry too much about gaining, just make sure you aren't slipping down thinner.
  • Morriganmum
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Between the bold and the food restrictions, is probably why it's difficult for you to get to a good amount of calories to gain. You might have to look into some high calorie sources of food to help get your calories up on a consistent basis; this can include drinking a bunch of them.

Yes, I try to stick to eating high calorie foods. I read labels to check calories and the higher the number, the more chance I buy it and eat it LOL.
    I have in the past month come up with a smoothie for myself that is: 1 cup Chobani Greek vanilla yogurt; 1 cup chocolate soy milk; 1 Tablespoon coconut oil; 1/3 cup coconut milk from a can. This is 540 calories and 26 grams protein. I have been consistently having one of these every evening (in addition regular eating). I am thinking I am going to up that to two per day.
    I was tracking my calories on here a while back and was getting sooooo frustrated with how slowly I was gaining then. I'm back again to track again and try not to get too anxious over how long it takes. Also to pin it down how many calories I actually need given my activity level.
  • Morriganmum
    Options

Hi! Fellow IBS sufferer here. I posted above about a smoothie I make that is high calorie; I have been finding the coconut oil and milk easy to add and even drink straight (the milk, not the oil ;) ). I am the same- 2000 is hard for me to accomplish, 2500 nearly impossible. Good luck with the gym. Maybe having a trainer will help make the gym not so intimidating :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Yes, I try to stick to eating high calorie foods. I read labels to check calories and the higher the number, the more chance I buy it and eat it LOL.
    I have in the past month come up with a smoothie for myself that is: 1 cup Chobani Greek vanilla yogurt; 1 cup chocolate soy milk; 1 Tablespoon coconut oil; 1/3 cup coconut milk from a can. This is 540 calories and 26 grams protein. I have been consistently having one of these every evening (in addition regular eating). I am thinking I am going to up that to two per day.
    I was tracking my calories on here a while back and was getting sooooo frustrated with how slowly I was gaining then. I'm back again to track again and try not to get too anxious over how long it takes. Also to pin it down how many calories I actually need given my activity level.

So if your goal would be to minimize fat gains and allow for muscle growth, then slow is the way to go, along with progressive lift.
  • denahrocks
    denahrocks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 years old, 5 foot even, and usually weigh 95 lbs. I never vary in weight but recently I've gone down to 88 lbs. My typical day is oatmeal with a banana for breakfast (with chia seeds on top). I eat quite a lot of snacks throughout the day, Apple with peanut butter, avocado toast, trail mix, ect. Lunch is usually a turkey and cheese sandwich. And dinner is whatever mom makes. Last night it was chicken Alfredo with broccoli. I also always eat a bowl of cereal before bed. I'm lightly active, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong? My goal is to be 100 lbs and healthy.