Calories/Clean Eating/Undereating

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    biqm805sv0ix.jpg

Can you provide the source for this information? I do not believe it is accurate.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    bshrom wrote: »
    It's the point of moving people away from items such as cookies, cakes, chips, pop tarts, ice cream to a diet of minimaly processed foods such as veggies, fruits, beans, and legumes. Honestly a lot of people are overfed but they are malnourished, I was one of those people! I am extremely passionate about a whole foods diet because it has radically changed my life. I lost weight in the past eating frozen diet meals and prepackaged diet foods but I still felt like garbage and I was always hungry. I switched to whole foods plant based and it completely changed my life. The point is not all calories are created equal. I could sit here and eat that bagged spinach, cucumbers, kale etc till the cows come home and nothings gonna happen, in fact I'm gonna lose weight, if you sit there and eat the same amount of calories in cookies and cakes your probably not gonna lose weight.

I agree with most of this, but that last part is wrong. You can lose weight eating cookies and cake, even eating nothing but cookies and cake. Eating clean is about health. Calories are still king when it comes to fat loss.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Yet again, I'm adding the disclaimer that I didn't read every post. Just 1st and last page. Sorry page 2.

My big issue with "clean eating" is that is seems to bring morals into to dieting. A diet isn't moralistic unless you are a vegan. I take offense to the name and the connotation that you think your "clean" diet is morally superior to mine that contains the occasional cookie or cupcake. Also, I don't like things that are unnecessarily extreme and restrictive. To me, clean dieting means I can't eat bread, most dairy, I have to cook everything at home. Why? Take off the hair shirt people. Dieting is not doing penance for being fat.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    biqm805sv0ix.jpg

Can you provide the source for this information? I do not believe it is accurate.

https://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/bananablueberryegg-ingredients-posters-pdfs/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    biqm805sv0ix.jpg

https://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/bananablueberryegg-ingredients-posters-pdfs/

The guy lists no references to sources other than web sites, "old botany books" online and "peer-reviewed journal articles on NCBI" with no links provided. Maybe it's accurate and maybe it's not. I guess it doesn't matter.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    biqm805sv0ix.jpg

The guy lists no references to sources other than web sites, "old botany books" online and "peer-reviewed journal articles on NCBI" with no links provided. Maybe it's accurate and maybe it's not. I guess it doesn't matter.

So it could be a bunch of manure? I knew it.

Hmm, it's unlikely but yeah I guess it could be. I just see that particular picture on MFP all the time but no one ever offers any information on it's authenticity which made me wonder if it's even accurate or just some nonsense created specifically for internet forum argument.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    biqm805sv0ix.jpg

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

75% water, check.
    12% sugars, check. The Sugar breakdown is 40/40/20 in that link though.
    3% fiber vs. 2.6 which is 3 if you round.
    5% starch, check.

I really don't want to check which E number corresponds to which amino acid.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    biqm805sv0ix.jpg

So it could be a bunch of manure? I knew it.

He is a chemistry teacher...not manure...education.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/aussie-chemistry-teacher-surprises-students-by-listing-the-dizzying-array-of-ingredients-in-natural-everyday-items/story-fni0cx12-1226806793888
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    biqm805sv0ix.jpg

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2

75% water, check.
    12% sugars, check. The Sugar breakdown is 40/40/20 in that link though.
    3% fiber vs. 2.6 which is 3 if you round.
    5% starch, check.

I really don't want to check which E number corresponds to which amino acid.

I found it particularly odd that "yellow" is listed as an ingredient. But chemistry really isn't my thing. I tend to think of yellow as a adjective rather than a naturally occurring ingredient.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    bshrom wrote: »
    It's the point of moving people away from items such as cookies, cakes, chips, pop tarts, ice cream to a diet of minimaly processed foods such as veggies, fruits, beans, and legumes. Honestly a lot of people are overfed but they are malnourished, I was one of those people! I am extremely passionate about a whole foods diet because it has radically changed my life. I lost weight in the past eating frozen diet meals and prepackaged diet foods but I still felt like garbage and I was always hungry. I switched to whole foods plant based and it completely changed my life. The point is not all calories are created equal. I could sit here and eat that bagged spinach, cucumbers, kale etc till the cows come home and nothings gonna happen, in fact I'm gonna lose weight, if you sit there and eat the same amount of calories in cookies and cakes your probably not gonna lose weight.

the bolded part is incorrect..

if you eat 3000 calories of kale and carrots (not sure who would want to do that) and that is a caloric surplus you will gain weight, no questions asked.

• kgracesch
    kgracesch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I for one cannot understand why grown ups get so worked up about verbage for diets. I'm allergic to soy and gluten. I also am sensitive to sugar so I say I eat "clean" meaning I can't eat a lot of overly processed food. I eat a lot too, most days 2000 calories and up.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    I get the math of calories in vs calories out, but I'm somewhat confused regarding minimum calorie intake and the hate on clean eating VS the eat whatever you want, as long as it's within your calories mindset.

How is 1200 calories of ice cream, fast food, and alcohol better for you than 1000 calories of tuna, eggs, and veggies? The general reasoning behind consuming no less than 1200 calories (or 1500 for men) is that you won't get enough nutrients. However, I honestly believe you'd actually get better nutrition and be healthier on a diet that consisted of clean eating but less calories.

Disclaimers: I am not advocating a super low calorie diet, just asking a question. Also, I do acknowledge that "clean eating" doesn't have a clear definition. Operate with the understanding that, to me, clean eating = minimally processed, lots of fresh vegetables, pronouncable ingredients.

People have a hate because of statements like "How is 1200 calories of ice cream, fast food, and alcohol better for you than 1000 calories of tuna, eggs, and veggies?"
    Do you SERIOUSLY *PUPPY* BELIEVE that even a single person on this forum does that?

Actually I do have days like that :smile: But not every day - I guess that's the point.
    I'm here to gain weight,something I've struggled with for years. With the info and advice on here I realised it was ok to get some calories from ice cream,fast food,whatever,as long as it was part of a wide varied diet.
    I have a small appetite and if I were to stick to fruit, vegetables,lean protein etc I wouldn't be able to eat enough. The "clean eating " debates have been really helpful for me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Just me? Okay.

Not just you. Not by any stretch.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kgracesch wrote: »
    I for one cannot understand why grown ups get so worked up about verbage for diets. I'm allergic to soy and gluten. I also am sensitive to sugar so I say I eat "clean" meaning I can't eat a lot of overly processed food. I eat a lot too, most days 2000 calories and up.

You bumped a 6 month old thread to make a point that because you have food allergies, the word "clean" should be ok? What about the rest of us who don't have similar allergies? That term is irrelevant for us and the use of it is not helpful. I also eat 2000 cals and up, if we are comparing, but I'm not sure how that is relevant...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    I get the math of calories in vs calories out, but I'm somewhat confused regarding minimum calorie intake and the hate on clean eating VS the eat whatever you want, as long as it's within your calories mindset.

How is 1200 calories of ice cream, fast food, and alcohol better for you than 1000 calories of tuna, eggs, and veggies? The general reasoning behind consuming no less than 1200 calories (or 1500 for men) is that you won't get enough nutrients. However, I honestly believe you'd actually get better nutrition and be healthier on a diet that consisted of clean eating but less calories.

Disclaimers: I am not advocating a super low calorie diet, just asking a question. Also, I do acknowledge that "clean eating" doesn't have a clear definition. Operate with the understanding that, to me, clean eating = minimally processed, lots of fresh vegetables, pronouncable ingredients.

People have a hate because of statements like "How is 1200 calories of ice cream, fast food, and alcohol better for you than 1000 calories of tuna, eggs, and veggies?"
    Do you SERIOUSLY *PUPPY* BELIEVE that even a single person on this forum does that?

i am still waiting for this mythical person that advocates for a diet of 100% ice cream and pop tarts to show themselves...

Throw in a protein shake or 2 and I'll do it.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    One thing to note in the "A calorie is a calorie" debate - certain foodgroups require more thermic energy to process ( protein being a good one, as long as it's not excess protein ) and therefore mean your body consumes more calories in a day than it otherwise would've.

I dare say if someone did manage to somehow consume lets say 2500 calories of raw kale and carrots, with a further 500 calories through the day of protein + EFAs; their BMR before any exercise would be higher (possibly by as many as 200-300 burned calories within a day) than someone who had consumed breads, sugars and such to get to 2500 calories.

So while you're accurate in saying Kale Calories In are the same as say Chocolate Calories In purely from an energy standpoint, you're not accounting for the changes to your metabolic rate. There is a ton of research here, just google "Thermic Effect of Food"
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    "Clean" is also a matter of interpretation, I consider myself to eat "clean" yet most would say the fact that I eat quite a bit of cheese ( "processed" ) , don't mind cured products like bacon and ham and consume other processed foods like protein powders or MCT Oils.

Basically "clean" in my view is eating foods that fuel your body, rather than foods (or drinks) that simply add calories and little else.