Substitutes for rice

Options
JBennis1013
JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
So I'm thinking of trying cauliflower as a substitute for rice. Has anyone tried it? If so, what are your thoughts? Have you tried any other substitutions for rice?

Thanks

Replies

• Kareemelnaggar
    Kareemelnaggar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice is a pretty good substitute for rice, if you prepare it correctly (right amount of processing). I don't find it as filling or satisfying as just eating rice, but I know some people that find it a perfect sub. I have never tried substituting with any other rice subs.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I have its good!! I also found that shredding it in a food processor was the easiest way to get it "riced".
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    brown rice?
    quinoa?
    barley?
    millet?

is there any particular need to not eat rice?
  • Shaneekwa
    Shaneekwa Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use quinoa for a substitution for rice. Pretty good
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I've never tried cauliflower as a sub for rice. Quinoa works pretty well as a sub, but most of the time when I really want rice, I'll have a smaller portion (1/4 cup or 1/2 cup prepared) of brown rice. It's more filling and nutrient-dense than white rice and works well with any recipe that calls for rice.
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    Quinoa. If carbs and calories are your issue it won't really help in those departments but nutrient wise it has a few advantages. It's higher in protein too.
  • werde_fit
    werde_fit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    we are replacing rice with sorghum/millet or quinoa. When cooking sorgum/millet we are using vegetable stock dissolved in water. Then it get's already a more spicy taste.
    With best regards
    Dirk
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THE CAUILFLOWER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is wonderful. I make fried rice, "mashed" potatoes, and even use it in the rice form under spaghetti sauce as I am NOT a fan of the spaghetti squash. You will LOVE it. OH and there is a great cauliflower pizza crust on line that is great too!!
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my carbs that's why I'm asking for substitutions. I'm not really a fan of brown rice either.... :(
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If you find a good way to make it please share.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    So I'm thinking of trying cauliflower as a substitute for rice. Has anyone tried it? If so, what are your thoughts? Have you tried any other substitutions for rice?

Thanks

I've tried it. Several times. It's usually good for the first meal, but, if there are leftovers, I'm usually not looking forward to finishing it.

I've also subsititured TVP and Quinoa.

My favorite is the Quinoa.

Ricing Caluflower is a messy PITA. I'll probably do it in the future though. Not sure why everyone wants to find a substiture for rice though. Brown rice is good for you.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower rice (and broccoli rice) on days when I am limiting carbs and really love both. However, there are some recipes that yell out for real rice, paella, curries etc and in those circumstances I have a quarter cup of wholegrain basmati rice and perhaps half a chapatti (indian flatbread) and that hits the spot.
    I dont see the need for rice substitutes unless you are on a low carb regime, but some carb is healthy.
    Hope my musings help.
    Good luck on your journey.

The way I "rice" my veg is to process it in a processor until all the large pieces have gone. Then I put it in a container with a half teaspoon of cumin seeds and a shake of sea salt crystals and about 4 tablespoons of water (60ml)
    Cover and microwave for two minutes on high.
    That's it.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't consider Quinoa a "low carb" food, but a carb friendly food. It is more complete than rice and in small amounts, I don't get the carb/insulin surge after eating it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower for just about EVERYTHING. Its the best substitute for just about anything you can think of.

If you are going to the trouble to prepare rice, why not just step it up a bit and go for a cauliflower pizza, or cake . really that's were the magic happens!
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    CousCous
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I actually just have a smaller portion of rice (1/2 cup) or skip it altogether. The less I eat, the less I miss it.
    Now if only that were true of chocolate...
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I like rice:) I don't know any fat Chines, do you? :)
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    That's all we eat. Cauliflower is so versatile. You can make it into rice, you can cook it a little longer and use a stick blender or food processor and make it into "mashed taters" ... I also use it mixed with cheese and eggs for the crust for pizza. We love cauliflower! :)
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    CousCous

This.

Trader Joe's has 7 g of fiber and 8 g of protein and is yummy.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I like rice:) I don't know any fat Chines, do you? :)

Sumo's? LoL... some people's bodies don't do good with the carbs. Like mine. Makes me crave, and bad mood swings. So I try to avoid it. Everyone's bodies are different.