Substitutes for rice

Options

Replies

• FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    If someone gets twice as much of every micronutrient as they need, they do not become any more healthy than they would have been if they'd gotten 100% of as much as they needed. There's no benefit to going over your needs. This is common sense. It is absurd to suggest that food A is a better choice than food B in all contexts.

So if its absurd that Food A is just as nutritious as Food B would you say that a Mcdonalds Big Mac is Nutritious?? Just curious since apparently all foods are equal in their nutritional value...Mmmm Broccoli or a pepperoni pizza, exactly the same in its nutritional context? I don't think so, sorry. Is Quinoa a better choice than white rice? Yes the nutritional content is better.

If Food A was no less better for you than Food B we would have no need for nutritional labels. You do realize someone can lose weight and still not be healthy? Weight is not the end all be all for some people, or being big and buff.

And no one is saying to get twice as much micronutrients, did I ever even mention that. My point is to get those nutrients from better sources and not processed food.
    Those are a lot of cool numbers. But what do they mean? Still doesn't make white rice garbage, like you common sensibly claimed. And since I'm getting more than 100% of all the nutrients listed from other foods I eat throughout the day, how are these other rices better options? Is there common sense to eating 200-500% of the rda?

I find the hypocrisy in this post hilarious. I guess the white rice numbers are way cooler than mine.

And here is another article from your original source on Live Strong which states.....

also try substituting other whole grains, such as quinoa, millet, bulgur or wild rice. If you've been eating white rice as a way to get more complex carbohydrates into your diet, consider other, better food sources like beans, lentils and potatoes. These are all superior sources of complex carbohydrates, as they are unrefined foods.

Because it lacks the bran and the germ, white rice is largely devoid of fiber, and deficient in the essential fatty acids, minerals and vitamins found in brown rice. Although some of these nutrients are added to enriched white rice, it's preferable to receive nutrients from natural foods, rather than enriched ones, whenever possible.

Since white rice lacks many beneficial nutrients, you should also rethink your consumption if eating white rice interferes with your desire or ability to include plenty of other, more nutrient-dense foods like vegetables, fruits, beans or dairy products in your diet

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/524134-is-white-rice-a-good-source-of-complex-carbohydrates/#ixzz2YoGDHceb

http://www.livestrong.com/article/524134-is-white-rice-a-good-source-of-complex-carbohydrates/

Might want to read more from your source on the subject, just saying.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Everyone on mfp has some type of special condition that makes them big. It has nothing to do with any of them eating too damn much...trolol

Yeah, it's amazing how many people with rare metabolic diseases and women who put on muscle faster than men on the 'roids there are in one place. Shocking really. Almost defies belief!

genetic freaks!!!!!!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If someone gets twice as much of every micronutrient as they need, they do not become any more healthy than they would have been if they'd gotten 100% of as much as they needed. There's no benefit to going over your needs. This is common sense. It is absurd to suggest that food A is a better choice than food B in all contexts.

So if its absurd that Food A is just as nutritious as Food B would you say that a Mcdonalds Big Mac is Nutritious?? Just curious since apparently all foods are equal in their nutritional value...Mmmm Broccoli or a pepperoni pizza, exactly the same in its nutritional context? I don't think so, sorry. Is Quinoa a better choice than white rice? Yes the nutritional content is better.

If Food A was no less better for you than Food B we would have no need for nutritional labels. You do realize someone can lose weight and still not be healthy? Weight is not the end all be all for some people, or being big and buff.

And no one is saying to get twice as much micronutrients, did I ever even mention that. My point is to get those nutrients from better sources and not processed food.
    Those are a lot of cool numbers. But what do they mean? Still doesn't make white rice garbage, like you common sensibly claimed. And since I'm getting more than 100% of all the nutrients listed from other foods I eat throughout the day, how are these other rices better options? Is there common sense to eating 200-500% of the rda?

I find the hypocrisy in this post hilarious. I guess the white rice numbers are way cooler than mine.

And here is another article from your original source on Live Strong which states.....

also try substituting other whole grains, such as quinoa, millet, bulgur or wild rice. If you've been eating white rice as a way to get more complex carbohydrates into your diet, consider other, better food sources like beans, lentils and potatoes. These are all superior sources of complex carbohydrates, as they are unrefined foods.

Because it lacks the bran and the germ, white rice is largely devoid of fiber, and deficient in the essential fatty acids, minerals and vitamins found in brown rice. Although some of these nutrients are added to enriched white rice, it's preferable to receive nutrients from natural foods, rather than enriched ones, whenever possible.

Since white rice lacks many beneficial nutrients, you should also rethink your consumption if eating white rice interferes with your desire or ability to include plenty of other, more nutrient-dense foods like vegetables, fruits, beans or dairy products in your diet

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/524134-is-white-rice-a-good-source-of-complex-carbohydrates/#ixzz2YoGDHceb

http://www.livestrong.com/article/524134-is-white-rice-a-good-source-of-complex-carbohydrates/

Might want to read more from your source on the subject, just saying.
    And you might want to avoid logical fallacies in your arguments if you want people to take you seriously. No one is claiming every food is the same nutritionally. The statement was that when a person gets all of their required nutrients from their entire diet, individual food choices don't matter as much, as long as they fit the goals. If I have hit 100% of all my nutritional needs, and still have 600 calories left over for the day, then no, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a Big Mac, and honestly, probably a better choice than trying to choke down 600 calories of broccoli.

And that's not even getting into the bioavailability of the nutrients you've listed. Just because a food looks good on paper, doesn't mean your body gets much from it. Brown rice is the best exams I can think of. The bran coating contains nutrients, but the bran coating is also completely indigestible, meaning your body can't get any of the nutrients out of it, making brown rice actually LESS nutritionally dense than white rice.

Again, it's all about context. You may want to actually go do a little more researching into dosage, context, and common sense.
  • Joehenny
    Options

It is also dangerous. Being over certain vitamins, minerals will cause mal-absorption of others.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If I have hit 100% of all my nutritional needs, and still have 600 calories left over for the day, then no, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a Big Mac, and honestly, probably a better choice than trying to choke down 600 calories of broccoli.
    This. It's really incredible when someone claims to be an expert, ignores this until walls of text have been written to explain it to them, and then still argues against it.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Its amazing that you will still argue that the nutritional facts of white rice are better than that of say quinoa....no one is saying never consume it, what I am saying is one is a better source than the other..and I'm sorry I don't agree that if you had 600 calories left over you should eat a Big Mac, you don't have to eat broccoli either but I'm sure there are better choices than a Big Mac. Encase you cannot tell, I obviously get the point you are trying to make, however it does not mean that certain foods are not better for you than others. There are nutritional labels for a reason, and there are clearly better options than white rice. Don't see why its something that needs to be argued about when it is plain as day black and white facts. Read your own website that you like to use as a source. I think you are now just arguing for the sake of arguing over a completely different subject and point than was originally being made.
    No one is claiming every food is the same nutritionally.
    Actually that is exactly what is being claimed, and that is the ONLY point I am arguing. There are better options that are better for you and contain more nutrients than white rice. Plain and simple. I'm not arguing about what micronutrients you've met for the day, or what your calorie deficit is, or whether you're meeting your macros. All I am saying is there are better option that are healthier than white rice, and if you actually paid attention to what the OP was asking you'd see I was simply answering her question where as several men on this thread are just bickering and creating an argument to flex their muscles. Try actually contributing something useful to the OP's question. Do you boys really need to discourage anyone because they want a substitute for white rice, is that really something to get all huffy and puffy about?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    You continue to ignore context. Foods do not possess magical "health-inducing" or "health-degrading" properties. Saying one is "better" than the other requires one or more aspects in which the comparison is being made. Once one's nutritional needs have been met, a food with more of some particular nutrient is no longer "better" in that aspect.

In other words, the context has changed and thus all of the simplistic presumptions of "good" and "bad" foods fall apart. That is why people who know what they're talking about do not label foods as "good" and "bad."
  • Joehenny
    Options
    Its amazing that you will still argue that the nutritional facts of white rice are better than that of say quinoa....no one is saying never consume it, what I am saying is one is a better source than the other..and I'm sorry I don't agree that if you had 600 calories left over you should eat a Big Mac, you don't have to eat broccoli either but I'm sure there are better choices than a Big Mac. Encase you cannot tell, I obviously get the point you are trying to make, however it does not mean that certain foods are not better for you than others.

If all my macro-nutrient, and RDA essential micro-nutrient goals are met with 600 calories left over; why wouldn't I eat a Bigmac or whatever else I wanted for that matter? Especially if I can still be well within healthy cholesterol ranges? Is there any reason I can't eat that? Besides the fact that it's "processed food"?
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    rice is not replaceable.
    just stop eating it if you have a medical reason.
  • stephenidea
    Options
    I went with quinoa as my main rice substitute, really helped, its got the added benefit of having a decent amount of protein in it so helps with slow steady digestion and of course great carb release!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    brown rice?
    quinoa?
    barley?
    millet?

is there any particular need to not eat rice?

Because white rice is a bunch of processed garbage with no nutrients along with white bread and regular pasta.

I love...
    Wild Rice
    Yams
    Sweet Potatoes
    Quinoa
    Couscous
    Barley
    butternut squash
    lentils
    farro
    Polenta (gluten free, higher in protein)
    there are tons of organic pasta now that are fortified with fiber, or whole wheat pastas

I think the point some are missing is that sure if you eat white rice in moderation you could lose weight, but it is processed, spikes your insulin levels, and is full of empty calories. it contains no fiber so you have to eat more of it to feel full and it does not keep you feeling full over a long period of time.

There are so many better option including wild rices which are not processed and have tons of nutrients and fiber. There is really no need for white rice and almost all restaurants now let you substitute brown rice or have better options. Its not about deleting carbs from the diet, its about making better decisions.

please explain how your body differentiates between the white rice carb and the brown rice carb?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Its amazing that you will still argue that the nutritional facts of white rice are better than that of say quinoa....no one is saying never consume it, what I am saying is one is a better source than the other..and I'm sorry I don't agree that if you had 600 calories left over you should eat a Big Mac, you don't have to eat broccoli either but I'm sure there are better choices than a Big Mac. Encase you cannot tell, I obviously get the point you are trying to make, however it does not mean that certain foods are not better for you than others. There are nutritional labels for a reason, and there are clearly better options than white rice. Don't see why its something that needs to be argued about when it is plain as day black and white facts. Read your own website that you like to use as a source. I think you are now just arguing for the sake of arguing over a completely different subject and point than was originally being made.

why is your fall back always mcdonals and big macs? Do you work for burger king or something? This thread is about rice and carbs not big macs and your disdain for mcdonalds....wow..

Also, you always dive bomb the threads with arguments that go to nowhere..so I think you are trolling...and this comes from a professional troll...
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I like rice:) I don't know any fat Chines, do you? :)
    Yes.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Looks like this thread took a turn for the epic while I was in bed. Glad I got in already.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There are better options that are better for you and contain more nutrients than white rice.

So which food is the BEST? Which contains more nutrients than any other?

Isn't that what this is about? Getting the most nutrients? More nutrients is better, right? That seems to be what you're saying.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    No one is claiming every food is the same nutritionally.
    Actually that is exactly what is being claimed, and that is the ONLY point I am arguing. There are better options that are better for you and contain more nutrients than white rice. Plain and simple. I'm not arguing about what micronutrients you've met for the day, or what your calorie deficit is, or whether you're meeting your macros. All I am saying is there are better option that are healthier than white rice, and if you actually paid attention to what the OP was asking you'd see I was simply answering her question where as several men on this thread are just bickering and creating an argument to flex their muscles. Try actually contributing something useful to the OP's question. Do you boys really need to discourage anyone because they want a substitute for white rice, is that really something to get all huffy and puffy about?

plz go.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So I'm thinking of trying cauliflower as a substitute for rice. Has anyone tried it? If so, what are your thoughts? Have you tried any other substitutions for rice?

Thanks

Cauliflower is a not a substitute for rice. Pasta or bread would be a decent substitute, but it depends on what the main course is. Your welcome.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Looks like this thread took a turn for the epic while I was in bed. Glad I got in already.

agrees...

don't you love it when that happens....?
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for the cauliflower. No one likes it as is, so they try to make it into other things.

Me too
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Mmmm 30yrs in fitness you should know that all those vitamins are FORTIFIED and not naturally occurring in white rice. Now lets compare the nutritional contents of

Wild Rice

Nutrition Facts
    Wild rice, cooked
    Amount Per 1 cup (164 g)
    Calories 166
    % Daily Value*
    Total fat 0.6 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.3 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 5 mg 0%
    Potassium 166 mg 4%
    Total Carbohydrate 35 g 11%
    Dietary fiber 3 g 12%
    Sugar 1.2 g
    Protein 7 g 14%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% Iron 5%
    Vitamin B-6 10% Vitamin B-12 0%
    Magnesium 13%

or how about the nutritional content of another popular rice substitution Quinoa, all of which are naturally occurring and unprocessed

Nutrition Facts
    Quinoa, cooked
    Amount Per 1 cup (185 g)
    Calories 223
    % Daily Value*
    Total fat 3.6 g 5%
    Saturated fat 0.4 g 2%
    Polyunsaturated fat 2 g
    Monounsaturated fat 1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 13 mg 0%
    Potassium 318 mg 9%
    Total Carbohydrate 39 g 13%
    Dietary fiber 5 g 20%
    Sugar 1.6 g
    Protein 8 g 16%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 3% Iron 15%
    Vitamin B-6 10% Vitamin B-12 0%
    Magnesium 29%

Clearly these are better options.

Since you may not know..white rice goes through what is called a Milling Process where all the bran that would typically make rice very rich in nutrients is completely stripped of all vitamins and minerals and then instead fortified with vitamins.
    Didn't need a nutrition lesson from you, I was giving you one. When you make a claim that something has no nutritional value and call it garbage (most food snobs do this) then you're giving out false information. You're deceptively "leading" people to getting to eat the way you want them too. Show them the options and let them make the option, but don't tell them something is "garbage". That's called disparaging.
    And have you ever thought that the average person just "likes" white rice better than the options? I neither like the taste of wild rice or quinoa, so that "garbage" you speak of it the better option for myself and many others.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition