Substitutes for rice

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    I've tried it and it's pretty good :) I grated it and the texture was great- I've used it as both a rice and pasta replacement and it goes really well with the sauces. As for the taste... it won't be good if you don't like cauliflower to begin with, lol.
    But I do, and it worked out very well :D

PS to annakow - yes, I do know some fat Chinese people.... that's not to say it's just cuz of the rice though, lol... but it's not NOT cuz of the rice either

ETA: I didn't prepare mine in any way, just grated it and used it raw (I'm guessing using a food processor would be the same? Might not be so nice if it's too fine though).
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Here is another thing I do with Cauliflower that I love.

Cauliflower Hummus

One large head of cauliflower (preferably yellow)

2 to 10 cloves of fresh garlic, minced in the food processor first

2 tablespoons of macadamia nut butter (or almond)

The juice of one medium lemon

¼ cup (or so) of olive oil

1 teaspoon of cumin

1 – 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley

Or 1 tablespoon of dried parsley

½ teaspoon of smoked paprika

Salt to taste; about 1 teaspoon

Garnish with parsley, smoked paprika and olive oil

Steam your head of cauliflower till it is very tender. While that is cooling take down your food processor and mince the garlic. Add the olive oil, nut butter, spices and lemon juice and mix some more. Add the cauliflower and puree till a smooth paste. Add some more olive oil if you need to get this lovely paste. Spread the hummus in a lovely platter in swirly patterns. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with more paprika and serve with veggies.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Why do you need a substitute ?
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    I like rice:) I don't know any fat Chines, do you? :)

Sumo's? LoL... some people's bodies don't do good with the carbs. Like mine. Makes me crave, and bad mood swings. So I try to avoid it. Everyone's bodies are different.

Sumo wrestlers are typically Japanese :)
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    I use cauliflower for just about EVERYTHING. Its the best substitute for just about anything you can think of.

If you are going to the trouble to prepare rice, why not just step it up a bit and go for a cauliflower pizza, or cake . really that's were the magic happens!

::cauliflower for you::
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Wait...which reason are we substituting rice with cauliflower? And there's cauliflower rice? Wouldn't that be mushy?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I would just either have a small amount, or not have it. Why do you need a substitute? Unless you're trying to make risotto, pick another side.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    If you "have to" watch your carbs then just don't eat rice. I don't understand.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Try- I Can't Believe It's Not Rice!™ rice substitute.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    I feel bad for the cauliflower. No one likes it as is, so they try to make it into other things.
  • CoderGal
    If you "have to" watch your carbs then just don't eat rice. I don't understand.
    Yeah me neither. If you like rice, eat rice. If you don't like rice, don't eat rice. If you think it's to many calories, eat a smaller side of rice. If you don't want to eat rice don't try to turn something else into rice? Just get a different side that tastes a whole lot better then cauliflower lol.
  • CoderGal
    I feel bad for the cauliflower. No one likes it as is, so they try to make it into other things.
    I loled...
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    I use cauliflower for just about EVERYTHING. Its the best substitute for just about anything you can think of.

If you are going to the trouble to prepare rice, why not just step it up a bit and go for a cauliflower pizza, or cake . really that's were the magic happens!

Have you forgotten that there is a cauliflower group here? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/14234-omg-cauliflower-om-nom-nom-nom-nom
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    what's wrong with rice?
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    So I'm thinking of trying cauliflower as a substitute for rice. Has anyone tried it? If so, what are your thoughts? Have you tried any other substitutions for rice?

Thanks

Cauliflower is good but so is rice! Why substitute when you can eat both?
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Wow, what a weight lost! congrats. maybe you are right, we are all different:)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Is there anything cauliflower can't do???
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    I have to watch my carbs that's why I'm asking for substitutions. I'm not really a fan of brown rice either.... :(

That's right. I forgot. Cauliflower is a protein . . .
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    why?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    you can try pasta