Whey Protein and bloating

Exactly that really. I've been drinking whey protein added to skimmed (fat free) milk for approximately 3 weeks and I am finding myself quite bloated. Has anyone else experienced this and were you able to combat it without giving up on the protein?

Replies

• MrsT1610
    MrsT1610 Posts: 24 Member
    You could try using a different type of protein such a hemp or pea protein and add to almond milk (whey and skimmed milk both dairy and this could be what's causing the bloat)...
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    MrsT1610 wrote: »
    You could try using a different type of protein such a hemp or pea protein and add to almond milk (whey and skimmed milk both dairy and this could be what's causing the bloat)...

I agree with this but, it could also be one of the extra ingredients (fillers?) which different companies use. So, one whey powder could contain a thickener, such as Xanthan gum, which you may find is the cause of the bloating. In this instance, switching from a whey with xanthan to a hemp with xanthan would not fix the problem.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    It's really, really bad when I have a full serving at once (two scoops). And doesn't bother me much when I only have one scoop at a time. So I'll have one at breakfast and another for a snack.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    You probably don’t think of beans when you drink a protein shake, but a lot of them include protein isolate derived from soybeans—something many people find just as gas-inducing as the musical fruit. Like other beans, soy contains oligosaccharides, sugar molecules that the body can’t break down entirely. With nowhere to go, these oligosaccharides hang out in the digestive tract, where they ferment, causing gas and bloating.
  • lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    It really could be just too much dairy. Try Vega all in one with unsweetened almond milk instead.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I second the dairy thought. Or possibly both the diary and protein being used together.

I would try cashew, almond milk (sweet or unsweetend) and see what happens. I use unsweetened cashew milk now and pretty much use any whey protein with min sideaffects, bloating/gas that I used to get.. just a thought.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Could be the milk...most people are lactose intolerant to a degree...switch milks to an unsweetened almond or something...if you still have bloating consider switching to a different type of protein.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Try switching to whey isolate - much less lactose, dairy fats, etc. Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize iso-100 are some possible sources.

Best of luck!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Does your protein powder have whey concentrate? This is what really does a number on my tummy. I'm fine with isolate and casein.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    OP: This is a common problem w/whey protein. Here's a short/simple article that discusses the problem and possible solutions: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/whey-protein-allergies-intolerances-bloating.

FWIW, I regularly drink a GNC soy protein w/soy milk shake which provides 32 grams/protein per scoop of soy protein and cup of soy milk. I've had no bloating or any other problems drinking 2 scoops/cups of soy protein/milk 3-5x's week to assist w/muscle recovery/development.

There are those who think ingesting too much soy is linked w/breast cancer and other problems but really there is no proof of this. In fact, there is evidence that there are considerable benefits to soy consumption. Here's another article which discuss this as well: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soy_wth

If this info is insufficient for you, there are a lot of other articles on the Net on these topics that you can research/read for yourself.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Wow guys I really appreciate your input I knew none of this, thanks.
  • IAmThunderHawk
    IAmThunderHawk Posts: 231 Member
    To much dairy bloats me out, I mix mine with water. Maybe switch to water or try soya protein?
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    It bloats me too. I used to make protein pancakes with it and the amount I had to use to keep the batter appropriately texturized made me bloated as crap.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    I had the same issue, extreme bloating, nausea and pain. Went to the doctor and turns out I'm intolerant to lactose. Switched to a lactose free protein powder and now I'm good :)
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Hello. I have switched to Soy protein with water and the bloating continues, I used to have an 'asbestos gut' lol could eat anything but fear the 'protein shakes' may have triggered some sort of intolerance as lately I'm really struggling with foods I previously ate with ease. My flat stomach has become round. As a pescatarian I'd struggled to eat enough natural protein. My endurance has really benefitted from the protein shakes. Help!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I get bloated too but it doesn't hurt. I just have my shake at night when no one can see my belly.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Hello. I have switched to Soy protein with water and the bloating continues, I used to have an 'asbestos gut' lol could eat anything but fear the 'protein shakes' may have triggered some sort of intolerance as lately I'm really struggling with foods I previously ate with ease. My flat stomach has become round. As a pescatarian I'd struggled to eat enough natural protein. My endurance has really benefitted from the protein shakes. Help!

You might want to see your doctor and see if they can do some testing or an elimination diet.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    arditarose wrote: »
    I get bloated too but it doesn't hurt. I just have my shake at night when no one can see my belly.

That's hilarious. I thought you had to take the protein 30 minutes pre/post workout? I watched a BBC programme that said you urinate out the protein otherwise. Anyway, is your stomach flat through the day when you drink your shake at night?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

That's hilarious. I thought you had to take the protein 30 minutes pre/post workout? I watched a BBC programme that said you urinate out the protein otherwise. Anyway, is your stomach flat through the day when you drink your shake at night?

oh my god... hunny.... nooooooo

This is not true. Your overall protein intake is all that matters. You don't need to drink protein within that "window", that was a marketing myth.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Drink a different protei . Not a big deal.