Ladies: How much protein do you eat daily? (For those exercising without focusing on muscles)

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    MFP reccomended 60 g of protein so that is what I aim for.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I try my best to get to 150, sometimes I'm over.. Sometimes I'm under. At least stay over 100. I ride my bike 2 hours and walk 45 mins most days.

I agree that it's difficult to have variety in your diet while eating that much protein. My best tip is to figure out a couple of foods high in protein that you love and rotate them in as much as possible while still looking for more creative solutions. Luckily, having the same breakfast/lunch for months doesn't bother me... Then I'm more creative with snacks and dinner.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    90-120 g

edit: Should have read a bit more. I do a pretty balanced routine of strength (to maintain muscle) and cardio.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I also actively look for things I can add ground flaxseed to, but don't repeat my mistake - it is really terrible in coffee.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I might "focus on muscles" but even if I didn't I'd eat about the same. I'm usually about a gram per pound of body weight and often more than that. So 130-160 grams.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    72 g on non-workout days.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat 120g or more per day.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I struggle to get over 100 grams. I would like to be closer to 150 but it's just not gonna happen.
    I'm 5'9" and 10 lbs from my goal of 140.
    I'm 55 and lift 2-3 times per week and do cardio 5-6 times per week,
    Fish, Greek yogurt, protein powder, milk, eggs and some beans are just about it.
    Thank goodness for protein powder.
  • MrsChasteen
    MrsChasteen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 130lbs I do Crossfit 6 days a week and run(20-30min) 3x a week. While I would like to build lean muscle my main goal is weight lose. I follow Renaissance Periodization diet templates and I average about 1200 calories a day of food. I eat 125-150 grams of protein a day. I drink whey protein after every Crossfit workout and drink casein protein every evening at bedtime. For breakfast I almost always eat 5 eggwhites with 1.5oz of turkey sausage and for lunch and dinner I eat chicken, lean beef, and fish. I feel fuller eating more protein and working out versus a few years ago when I was dieting at 1200cals but not active. The protein keeps me full longer. Usually 40-50% of my calories is protein.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer in the 0.6g-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight idea. I mostly row (lots on-water in Spring through Fall, less on the machine in Winter), spin, and bike a little. I try to do more lifting in the off-season, but have to admit I'm not doing much/any in season.

In deficit, I was probably near the 0.6g/goal-pound level a bit more often, but now, at goal weight (120 pounds), I try to exceed 100g protein daily, and normally succeed, often by quite a bit.

I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian. I energetically avoid using protein powder, protein bars, fake meat or the like - I just don't find them tasty or satisfying. Life is too short to eat things that aren't tasty or satisfying, when there are nutritious foods available that hit those buttons.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Life is too short to eat things that aren't tasty or satisfying, when there are nutritious foods available that hit those buttons.

I have just recently adopted this rule also. I try to eat healthy but at same time make sure it is something I actually enjoy instead of struggling through something I hate.

• OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For those that are eating more than 100g, how did you come up with that number as the amount necessary. That seems like a lot of protein and almost impossible to fit into a daily diet unless you are eating a very high calorie diet. I remember reading that your body can only use 30g per every couple of hours and rest is stored as fat. Any truth in that ?
  • sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    For those that are eating more than 100g, how did you come up with that number as the amount necessary. That seems like a lot of protein and almost impossible to fit into a daily diet unless you are eating a very high calorie diet. I remember reading that your body can only use 30g per every couple of hours and rest is stored as fat. Any truth in that ?
    Kind of your body burns through protein every few hours so if you don't eat protein every 3/to 4 hours than your body doesn't have any to use and no that's not good, protein is the building blocks of muscle. & yes even when your losing weight , also protein is more dense and filling than carbs and a lot of people benifit from a slightly higher ratio of protein to carbs .
    Coming up with the number is easy the .08 gram per unit of body weight is accepted fairly universally and easy to work out . Also MFP sets your protein , carbs and fat for you , you can of course change it but if it's working dont fix what s not broken .
    So the 100g - depends on their weight to start with ..the heavier you are the more protein as your % of daily calories will be .
    or it could be that they workout and do resistance training so protein is needed to be higher to feed and build muscle .
    And lastly no it's not impossible i have protein at breakfast , and midmorning like baked beans , at lunch with salad , early afternoon cottage cheese or tuna & dinner so just depends on what you are used to or like eating , again some days are really good for my macros and others not as good ...
  • LyiannaTameka
    LyiannaTameka Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that I only get around 50g of protein a day? Even though it's not a lot, I don't feel like it's bad or detrimental to my health. I tend to have 800-900 calories a day, maximum, so there's only so much protein I can fit in there. Plus, I'm not a big fan of meat, the only meat I actively eat right now is chicken and not that much of it. I'm probably going to go pescitarian, then vegetarian soon. I do eat more fruit and veg, than meat or fish. So in this case, is my 50g of protein daily acceptable?

-Lyianna ❤️.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    A lot. More than 150g every day, whether I work out or not (and I do work out 6x a week), often averaging 175g or so. However, I eat ~2250 at maintenance. I aim for 35-40% protein.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that I only get around 50g of protein a day? Even though it's not a lot, I don't feel like it's bad or detrimental to my health. I tend to have 800-900 calories a day, maximum, so there's only so much protein I can fit in there. Plus, I'm not a big fan of meat, the only meat I actively eat right now is chicken and not that much of it. I'm probably going to go pescitarian, then vegetarian soon. I do eat more fruit and veg, than meat or fish. So in this case, is my 50g of protein daily acceptable?

-Lyianna ❤️.

It's bad that you only eat 800-900 calories per day. Not enough to meet all your micronutrient goals, let alone macronutrients.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Minimum I try to reach is 100g, but usually is closer to 120. I have one protein shake a day to add 25g, and the rest is from eggs, meat, greek yogurt, etc. It helps me feel full and hopefully helps me retain muscle while losing + lifting.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

-Lyianna ❤️.

I'd be more concerned about that low calorie diet. That's not enough to get the macro/micro nutrients your body needs and overtime will cause malnutrition. The side effects of malnutrition often don't show up until the damage is done and some of it will not be reversible. I hope that you are actually eating more than you think.
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I weigh 105lbs and usually end up eating around 120g protein per day. I aim for a minimum of 110g, but it mostly ends up being more than that. I don't drink protein shakes, though I will use protein powder to mix into my oats for breakfast at the weekend. I eat a lot of eggs, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, Quorn, greek yoghurt, nut butters, nuts, cheese, tinned tuna, and fish. I don't find it at all difficult to reach 120g most days, and I find that I definitely feel more hungry on the days where for some reason (usually because I'm out and about, and eating on the fly) I don't get that much.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I get around 50-60g, I only walk for exercise and not interested in building muscles. I don't eat meat except fish, no dairy except a bit of cheese and no eggs, so it's hard to get much more protein anyway.