Ladies: How much protein do you eat daily? (For those exercising without focusing on muscles)

Options

Replies

• jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb is 100g I think...I shoot for higher when I'm lifting.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I aim for around 100-120g. I don't think it's that hard. I don't eat red meat often, so mostly comes from chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon, cod, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, and small amounts found in veggies, cheese, nuts, beans, veggie burgers.

I don't use protein powder or eat protein bars often because I don't much care for the taste.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I try to (and usually do) get at least 80 grams per day but ideally 90-100. It's rarely much higher than that.

In a perfect world I would like to eat more protein because it keeps me full longer, but the foods I tend to enjoy eating the most don't often get me beyond 100 grams.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    110-120 grams per day. Turkey, greek yogurt, cheese, and snack bars. I do an hour of cardio everyday and have no problem getting my protein in with my food choices. I am 5'4 and 130lbs.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I can generally get to 56g on my average days. I've broken 100g without going over my calorie limit... one time in the last two months. It's tough!

I eat eggs, nuts, yogurt and chicken regularly to try to get where I'm supposed to be. I don't want to do protein powders and I can't stand tuna, salmon, greek yogurt or cottage cheese. If you can handle those things, they're supposed to be really good sources too.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I do about 60-80. I do cardio and weights. I'm also vegetarian. Haven't had any problems.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I aim for (and generally hit without problem) at least 100 g. I base this on .8 x weight (125) in grams.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    For those that are eating more than 100g, how did you come up with that number as the amount necessary. That seems like a lot of protein and almost impossible to fit into a daily diet unless you are eating a very high calorie diet. I remember reading that your body can only use 30g per every couple of hours and rest is stored as fat. Any truth in that ?

I'm in maintenance, so I do get more calories, but I could pretty easily get to 75-80g while I was losing weight steadily, at 1400ish calories daily, and that's without ever eating meat, fish, protein powder, protein bars, or fake meat. (I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian.)

I didn't keep track of the research links, but I read quite widely (going back to primary scientific research reports when possible, not just jounalism about them). I came to the conclusion that it would be conservative (safest) to go with 0.6g-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight, and that more (within reason) wouldn't hurt a healthy person.

Also, research supports the idea that it's better to be on the higher side if you're in a calorie deficit, working out regularly (especially strength exercises, but really any exercise is causing need for muscle repair), or vegan/vegetarian (because of potential protein quality concerns).

As a veg, I only approached the 0.8g/goal-pound part of the time, but tried to treat 0.6g as my minimum. At goal weight, I weigh 120 (at 5'5"), so that was a 72g minimum for me, and I would try for more if calories permitted. 100 is quite easy at maintenance (most days I eat 1800 net calories).

If you're not eating surplus calories (from any macronutrient), you're unlikely to be storing fat. But, while most research seems to find super-detailed nutrient timing unnecessary, IMO it can't hurt to spread the protein across the day, and it helps me with satiation.

A super helpful MFP thread - and especially the spreadsheet it links to - is this:

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

The spreadsheet lists foods - not just meat/fish, but also veg - in order by their protein/calorie efficiency, i.e., the most protein for their calories. Find things on the list you like, and eat more of them. Review your diary regularly, drop foods that aren't worth their calorie 'cost' for their satiation/nutritional/tastiness value, and instead it foods that better help meet your goals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that I only get around 50g of protein a day? Even though it's not a lot, I don't feel like it's bad or detrimental to my health. I tend to have 800-900 calories a day, maximum, so there's only so much protein I can fit in there. Plus, I'm not a big fan of meat, the only meat I actively eat right now is chicken and not that much of it. I'm probably going to go pescitarian, then vegetarian soon. I do eat more fruit and veg, than meat or fish. So in this case, is my 50g of protein daily acceptable?

-Lyianna ❤️.

IMO, 50g is probably too little if you're in a calorie deficit, though I think the USDA says the minimum for an average woman is something in the 40s ("minimum" is not "optimal"). Just feeling OK is no sign that you're getting optimal nutrition - some effects are subtle or long-term.

Like others, I think you're probably eating too few calories to be optimally healthy while losing weight, unless you're really a micro-tiny petite person, and under medical supervision to make sure you're getting adequate macro/micronutrients. You may also increasing your risk of undesirable adaptive thermogenesis - depressed long-term calorie needs (this is not "starvation mode" as commonly talked about here, but it's still a Bad Thing).

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, so I'm not fond of meat either, to say the least. Being vegetarian or vegan does not mean you need less protein than anyone else does . . . in fact, some research suggests that we veg people should get a bit more grams of it, to compensate for protein quality issues.

Stay strong & healthy!
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake is set for 1500 a day and I aim for 130g of protein in a day but a lot of days I land between 100 & 120. My protein in a day is usually eggs (breakfast), chicken in salad or wrap at lunch, turkey, fish or chicken with dinner, at least one snack during the day of greek yogurt of cottage cheese, sometimes 2 and if I work out that day a protein shake after my workout.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks all for the responses. I've come to the conclusion that I am going to try to aim for at least 100g of protein to help me with my energy. I usually eat anywhere between 60-80, occasionally 90. Do you all feel like eating within a higher range helps you with energy through out the day and endurance during exercising ?
    Edit: I know carbs help with energy, but I don't think my issue is carbs.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I was eating 122g maybe a little under but I've changed mine so its 105g now. I still go a tiny bit over or a little under but I think anything lower than that is too little. Although I'm no expert. :)
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the responses. I've come to the conclusion that I am going to try to aim for at least 100g of protein to help me with my energy. I usually eat anywhere between 60-80, occasionally 90. Do you all feel like eating within a higher range helps you with energy through out the day and endurance during exercising ?

I feel fuller from eating protein. For energy, I go to carbs, especially while hiking. :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Edit: I know carbs help with energy, but I don't think my issue is carbs.

I haven't notice a difference I. Energy between days I eat 60 and days I eat 100g of protein. I do notice that if I have a smoothie during the day before exercising I have more energy than on days I don't.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't just for building muscle, but also maintains the muscle you already have. You need about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. How you direct the energy to the muscles determines whether or not you build muscle. Muscles burn more calories throughout the day so it's good to have muscle anyway.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Protein isn't just for building muscle, but also maintains the muscle you already have. You need about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. How you direct the energy to the muscles determines whether or not you build muscle. Muscles burn more calories throughout the day so it's good to have muscle anyway.

Actually this isn't true you don't need 1g protein per pound of body weight.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options

1 gram of protein per pound of weight is a lot. If I weight 150 lbs, I find it hard to believe that I require 150g, and what about people that weight 180 or more? Over consumption of protein I believe could be taxing on the liver and kidneys.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    A minimum of 100g, usually i get 120+grams.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Goal 100, usually closer to 125. Shrimp, pork tenderloin, beef, salmon, Greek yogurt, beans, eggs. Shakes/bars as a last resort.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 100. I should aim for more, but I'm focusing more on getting enough fats and find it easier to stick to my calorie goals the way I'm eating now.