Ladies: How much protein do you eat daily? (For those exercising without focusing on muscles)

Options
124»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't just for building muscle, but also maintains the muscle you already have. You need about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. How you direct the energy to the muscles determines whether or not you build muscle. Muscles burn more calories throughout the day so it's good to have muscle anyway.

1 gram of protein per pound of weight is a lot. If I weight 150 lbs, I find it hard to believe that I require 150g, and what about people that weight 180 or more? Over consumption of protein I believe could be taxing on the liver and kidneys.

.8 is good.

And it's only taxing if you have a liver or kidney condition. 150g of protein is not excessive.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't just for building muscle, but also maintains the muscle you already have. You need about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. How you direct the energy to the muscles determines whether or not you build muscle. Muscles burn more calories throughout the day so it's good to have muscle anyway.

1 gram of protein per pound of weight is a lot. If I weight 150 lbs, I find it hard to believe that I require 150g, and what about people that weight 180 or more? Over consumption of protein I believe could be taxing on the liver and kidneys.

In those circumstances one can go by LBM, which is hard to get a definite number on, goal weight, or mid BMI weight.

Cheers, h.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options

People quibble about the specific amount per pound. But if we're talking body weight (vs. lean body mass), I think it's safe to take it to refer to a healthy goal body weight, not just whatever weight one happens to be. The pounds of fat don't require much in the way of protein-driven repair and maintenance. Folks ought to be specific about that, though.

I'm not a believer in that high a recommendation, but 1g per pound of healthy body weight isn't a crazy goal, especially for an athlete or someone in calorie deficit. If one is otherwise healthy (i.e., doesn't have a condition where metabolizing protein is a problem), there's no great evidence that that will tax the liver or kidneys.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

.8 is good.

And it's only taxing if you have a liver or kidney condition. 150g of protein is not excessive.

No, excessive protein can be the problem. The protein fad we are having is the second one. During the first one, way back when, nobody even put limits on it and some people developed problems because of it. At least one guy died. I think that was before the Take Steroids and Time Your Meals fads. Now we are back to increased protein. Who knows what is next? My bet is vitamins, again, but we will see.

There have been a lot of fitness crazes that were stupid. Stupidest of all had to be the No Water one. When people started getting hospitalized during marathons or football practice, word came out at the hospital that it was stupid and that word spread and everyone said Okay, maybe water is a good thing.

Moderation is the key. A healthy, balanced diet is the best way to go. Get what you need with everything, but don't go to excess on any single pill or nutrient. All the science, everything that has been learned, it all comes back to eating a variety of whole foods, getting adequate amounts of everything. For whatever it's worth, following the fads isn't really the key to health.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »

.8 is good.

No, excessive protein can be the problem. The protein fad we are having is the second one. During the first one, way back when, nobody even put limits on it and some people developed problems because of it. At least one guy died. I think that was before the Take Steroids and Time Your Meals fads. Now we are back to increased protein. Who knows what is next? My bet is vitamins, again, but we will see.

There have been a lot of fitness crazes that were stupid. Stupidest of all had to be the No Water one. When people started getting hospitalized during marathons or football practice, word came out at the hospital that it was stupid and that word spread and everyone said Okay, maybe water is a good thing.

Moderation is the key. A healthy, balanced diet is the best way to go. Get what you need with everything, but don't go to excess on any single pill or nutrient. All the science, everything that has been learned, it all comes back to eating a variety of whole foods, getting adequate amounts of everything. For whatever it's worth, following the fads isn't really the key to health.

Excessive protein converts to glucose through glucenogenesis. The only time protein would be an issue with if you have kidney or another pre-existing condition. .8g per lb of weight (and you need a lot less if you are morbidly obese) is far from dangerous. And there are tons of studies supporting the additional protein as beneficial during weight loss.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »

.8 is good.

Even if it's considered a "fad" , eat more protein is what's recommended by drs as well. I have a low energy/low sugar issue and I lost count of how many Dr's told me to eat more protein. I don't even know what that means .. how much is "more". And I can't imagine it is healthy to make your liver and kidneys process large quantity of protein. Even if someone has healthy liver and kidneys, it's better to be preventative.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I get in typically 100-120 a day.

only in the summer do I supplement with powder in my smoothie.

otherwise it's all from food.

Protein helps keep you feeling fuller longer as it take more energy to digest it...
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Can someone show me what they would eat in a typical day for each meal. Because I am trying to stay at 1500 calories and I can only manage up to 80-85g of protein. I just don't have the appetite for any more protein and I don't know how to squeeze in more.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Can someone show me what they would eat in a typical day for each meal. Because I am trying to stay at 1500 calories and I can only manage up to 80-85g of protein. I just don't have the appetite for any more protein and I don't know how to squeeze in more.

I add 18g of PB2 to 150g of nonfat Greek yogurt. That's 19g of protein for 150 Cals. 4 tbsp Scrambled egg whites and 28g of cheese and/or Turkey sausage in a Tumaros wrap is another high protein meal for a couple hundred cals or so. Feel free to peek at my diary. It's open. :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Sure! 1500 calories is a LOT to work with. Are you spending too many of your calories on carbs?

Here is one example:

Breakfast
    1 C cottage cheese
    4 oz raspberries
    protein: 25g

Lunch:
    green salad with chicken breast, 1 oz feta cheese and garbanzos
    veggie soup with a small amount of sour cream (and chicken stock)
    protein: 46g

Dinner:
    turkey burger, kale salad with nuts
    protein: 32g

Snack:
    cup of milk (with coffee) 4g
    2 oz cheddar cheese 14 g

TOTAL:
    1507 calories
    121g protein
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Here's another one:

Breakfast
    2 large eggs
    2 slices bacon
    1 slice Dave's Killer (toasted)
    protein: 26g

Lunch:
    taco salad with turkey and kidney beans (various toppings, no chips)
    protein: 45g

Dinner:
    caprese salad with 3 oz fresh mozzarella and 6 oz cooked shrimp
    protein: 52g

Snack:
    cup of milk (with coffee) 4g
    protein powder shake with 1/2 C frozen berries 11 g

TOTAL:
    1533 calories
    138g protein
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can look at my diary and divide in two. I eat about 2400 calories with 160g of protein usually. On the morning i either have a protein bagel (p28) or morning oats.