Healthy milk substitutes?

Options
xMiracat
xMiracat Posts: 67 Member
I'm trying to find a healthy milk substitute but I'm not sure which kind or brand to buy lol.

I can't have almond milk though because of allergies.

But I do love soy and coconut milk but how do I find the healthiest kind? Should I buy the canned or the carton kind? lol What about the vanilla soy is that healthier or is that too much added sugar?

Also if I were to buy regular dairy milk is it better to get whole fat, 2% fat, etc.?

Thanks!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    What is unhealthy about milk?

So you could try rice milk, soy milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, and the list likely goes on. All of them are just attempts to simulate milk, nothing is intrinsically healthier about them although they tend to be lower calorie.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    "Healthy" really all depends on what your goals are and how it fits into your overall day. Read the labels and pick what fits best. If you like vanilla and it doesn't put you over your sugar limit in context of everything else you eat, then go for it. There are also several unsweetened vanilla flavors out there.

• xMiracat
    Options

So you could try rice milk, soy milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, and the list likely goes on. All of them are just attempts to simulate milk, nothing is intrinsically healthier about them although they tend to be lower calorie.

Some people told me that regular dairy milk is high in fat and calories so if I substitute milk with soy or coconut milk instead they say I'm saving my calories and my fat content
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute. It's not essential (no food is), but milk has a solid nutritional profile. Are you allergic to it?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    xMiracat wrote: »

Some people told me that regular dairy milk is high in fat and calories so if I substitute milk with soy or coconut milk instead they say I'm saving my calories and my fat content

I suggest you look at the nutrition label instead of listening to what "some people" tell you. Compare regular and skim with optional substitutes, and see which fits better into your diet. And take into account what you actually like, because sometimes a few extra calories is worth it.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    if you're not lactose intolerant, semi-skimmed or skim milk is perfectly good for you. if not, an unsweetened alternative is okay (soy/almond etc), though not as nutritious
  • rileysowner
    edited July 2016
    Options

Fat in itself is not bad. Fat does not make you fat, too many calories do. Your body needs it in particular for the production of various hormones. Where fat is an issue is in terms of the number of calories it has (9 calories/gram when carbs and protein are 4 calories/gram). That is why 2%, 1%, and skim milk have less calories than full fat milk. Basically they remove cream by skimming it off, and that reduces the fat.

If you like the taste and mouth feel of milk, none of the substitutes I have used have ever matched it. I just figure the calories into my daily calorie goal and learn moderation just like I have to do with everything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Milk is perfectly healthy. Dietary fat is essential...not to mention milk comes in a variety of fat content...I prefer 1%. Also, calories don't have anything to do with how healthy something is or isn't.

Look at the nutrition labels and do comparisons...but you should ultimately drink what you want to drink...there's nothing inherently healthier about any of the milk substitutes unless you are lactose intolerant.
  • mmovesian
    mmovesian Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say that makes milk unhealthy. It is higher in calories and fat than many substitutes but that isn't an "unhealthy" thing. "Fat" isn't the enemy here as long as you are staying within reasonable amounts for your goals. If you enjoy cow's milk than just consume it in moderation.

I personally don't consume dairy because I find the treatment of dairy cow's horrible in a lot of ways. If you want to stop consuming dairy, just find a coconut/soy/cashew milk that you think tastes great and is affordable. I don't think there is a "healthiest" option here as long as the rest of your diet is balanced.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    We do 2% although I think I would prefer full fat, it is just more expensive. If we got the little farm we always wanted, I would probably get a small milking cow and go with full milk, make my own butter and cheese as well.
  • wendola76
    wendola76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This won't be an answer to everything you're concerned about, but we sometimes buy Fairlife ultrafiltered milk. We usually buy the 2%. It does have 120 calories per 1 cup, but it also has 13 grams of protein, 40% of your daily calcium needs, and is miraculously lactose free. They also make fatfree, whole, and 2% chocolate. And it's DELICIOUS! So velvety and creamy. MMMMMMM. http://fairlife.com/
  • xMiracat
    Options

I suggest you look at the nutrition label instead of listening to what "some people" tell you. Compare regular and skim with optional substitutes, and see which fits better into your diet. And take into account what you actually like, because sometimes a few extra calories is worth it.

Is regular milk considered ''unclean''? or processed? I'm trying to go for a clean diet overall
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Is regular milk considered ''unclean''? or processed? I'm trying to go for a clean diet overall

If you can bathe in it then it is clean. Ergo, milk and the blood of thine enemies are clean.
  • xMiracat
    Options

If you can bathe in it then it is clean. Ergo, milk and the blood of thine enemies are clean.

um what?? lol
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

In that case, stay far away from any non-dairy "milk" product.
  • rileysowner
    Options

It is milk. The only processing is pasteurization and skimming off the cream to get the various fat percentages. I would consider it clean, but then I don't eat clean and have no intention of doing so.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'm focusing on getting enough protein, and soy milk is higher in protein compared to many of the other non-dairy milks. That's the biggest reason why I prefer soy over other options. However, there are a lot of options, and you might prefer the taste of one of the others.

My favorite soy milk depends on what I'm using it for. I usually get unsweetened, because it's versatile; I can throw it in savory things as well as sweet. I'm not particularly stuck on any one brand. Silk makes a few "light" soy milk options if you're looking for something with fewer calories and less fat. Shelf stable cartons are nice to have around in case you run out or the electricity goes out, but I don't think they're significantly better or worse nutrition-wise than refrigerated options.

If you're looking at coconut milk, I think of the one in the can (that you usually find in the Asian section of the store) as meant for cooking. Maybe that's just me, though. It's generally much thicker (and higher in calories/fat) than coconut milk in a carton that's meant for drinking on its own.

Last time I checked, Silk, So Delicious, and Westsoy had coupons available on their websites, which might make it more affordable to try a few. Other brands probably offer coupons too. If you have a Trader Joe's, they have a variety of shelf-stable plant milks that are probably cheaper than many other brands.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Milk is minimally processed...milk substitutes or more processed...just eat a healthy, balanced diet..."clean" is arbitrary and everyone has their own definition. I would personally consider milk to be "clean"...but many would not.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

um what?? lol

Oh. Was that a serious question? My bad.