Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    xMiracat wrote: »
    What is unhealthy about milk?

So you could try rice milk, soy milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, and the list likely goes on. All of them are just attempts to simulate milk, nothing is intrinsically healthier about them although they tend to be lower calorie.

Some people told me that regular dairy milk is high in fat and calories so if I substitute milk with soy or coconut milk instead they say I'm saving my calories and my fat content

I suggest you look at the nutrition label instead of listening to what "some people" tell you. Compare regular and skim with optional substitutes, and see which fits better into your diet. And take into account what you actually like, because sometimes a few extra calories is worth it.

Is regular milk considered ''unclean''? or processed? I'm trying to go for a clean diet overall

It is milk. The only processing is pasteurization and skimming off the cream to get the various fat percentages. I would consider it clean, but then I don't eat clean and have no intention of doing so.

may i ask how do you lose weight without eating clean?? Research I've done from trainers and youtube videos etc. they all say you will not lose weight unless you eat clean.

It's easy to lose weight not eating clean. You just starve yourself or eat low calorie crap.

Or you eat at a moderate deficit. Easy peasy, no starvation, no "low calorie crap." (I eat lots of lower cal foods, but I wouldn't call vegetables "low calorie crap,")
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

So you could try rice milk, soy milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, and the list likely goes on. All of them are just attempts to simulate milk, nothing is intrinsically healthier about them although they tend to be lower calorie.

Some people told me that regular dairy milk is high in fat and calories so if I substitute milk with soy or coconut milk instead they say I'm saving my calories and my fat content

I suggest you look at the nutrition label instead of listening to what "some people" tell you. Compare regular and skim with optional substitutes, and see which fits better into your diet. And take into account what you actually like, because sometimes a few extra calories is worth it.

Is regular milk considered ''unclean''? or processed? I'm trying to go for a clean diet overall

It is milk. The only processing is pasteurization and skimming off the cream to get the various fat percentages. I would consider it clean, but then I don't eat clean and have no intention of doing so.

may i ask how do you lose weight without eating clean?? Research I've done from trainers and youtube videos etc. they all say you will not lose weight unless you eat clean.

It's easy to lose weight not eating clean. You just starve yourself or eat low calorie crap.

60lb down eating full fat dirty crap.....
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

I'm guessing a diet full of non-organic and GMO vegetables, non-organic dairy, meat and eggs, regular peanut butter, store bought bread, protein bars and powders, dried pasta, canned pasta sauce, boxed curries, and the like wouldn't qualify as "clean." Funny how I lose weight anyway.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I'm guessing a diet full of non-organic and GMO vegetables, non-organic dairy, meat and eggs, regular peanut butter, store bought bread, protein bars and powders, dried pasta, canned pasta sauce, boxed curries, and the like wouldn't qualify as "clean." Funny how I lose weight anyway.

I talking more about crash diets like slimfast and special k and those little 100 calorie packs of like 2 Oreos lol
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

I talking more about crash diets like slimfast and special k and those little 100 calorie packs of like 2 Oreos lol

Fair enough
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Easy. Food is food. A calorie is a calorie. I've lost 90lbs including so called 'unhealthy' 'unclean' 'baaaaaad' foods. Their information is crap. Don't believe random youtubers, believe those who have the education, experience or both. @xMiracat The only way anyone can gain weight is if they eat more than their maintenance calories, not by the type of food. If you don't believe me, read up on the man who ate nothing but twinkies and lost weight.
    cee134 wrote: »
    but it You will feel better, fuller and be healthier if you do clean eating.
    I don't, either. I used to eat a so-called clean vegetarian diet. I was 260lbs and unhealthy. Now I eat nutritious and 'junk' food, am 90lbs down with perfect blood panels. I feel happy, I don't stress about food, and I don't obsess about food.

Um, nah... I don't starve! ;)

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options

I don't do either of those things. I don't starve, unless I eat a lot of veggies, then I always feel like I am starving, and I never eat low calorie crap. I do however enjoy eating pretty much whatever I want including fast food. I just need to make the appropriate decisions to fit it in my daily calories.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Speak for yourself.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I didn't read everything because this is really long but you need to look at your overall diet not one item of food/drink. If you like milk drink it. Just balance it out with lean meats, veggies, fruits, whole grains. I don't drink milk because I don't really like it but I eat what I like.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    vOv
    I roll with Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk. Not because of some assumption that there's something wrong with dairy milk (I eat the hell out of some cheese), but because I can't stand the snotty feeling that milk leaves in the mouth and throat.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Try cashew milk! I haven't tried it so I don't know if it's good, but it's a lot lower in calories than coconut milk is. I'm pretty sure it's even lower in calories than almond milk, or around the same. :smile:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is good but I heard it can increase dementia chance in females as long as and also increase your estrogen levels as well.
    No it doesn't

• xMiracat
    xMiracat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    No, 200 calories of anything = 200 calories of anything, as far as weight loss goes. I do not label any foods as bad. The difference between fries and vegetables is a difference in nutrition - more fat in the fries, more fiber in the vegetables, etc. If either fits into your calorie allowance, either is fine, depending on your nutritional goals. If I were low in fat for the day and had already met my fiber/vitamin/whatever allowance, I say eat the fries.

oh i see so it only matters if you burn more then you eat? right?

EXACTLY THIS....but try and get a balanced diet moat of the time.

oh I didnt know you could do it that way, I thought you had to eat nothing but veggies, fruits, and lean meats
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but in Texas we have a grocery chain called HEB. They make a Fairlife like milk that is ultra filtered, lactose free, low sugar called Mootopia. It has 90cal per cup in the fat free and 12g protein. And it tastes better than Fairlife. I love it.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    No, 200 calories of anything = 200 calories of anything, as far as weight loss goes. I do not label any foods as bad. The difference between fries and vegetables is a difference in nutrition - more fat in the fries, more fiber in the vegetables, etc. If either fits into your calorie allowance, either is fine, depending on your nutritional goals. If I were low in fat for the day and had already met my fiber/vitamin/whatever allowance, I say eat the fries.

oh I didnt know you could do it that way, I thought you had to eat nothing but veggies, fruits, and lean meats

No not at all.....lean meats and veggies are great and will give you a lot of nutrition but don't forget the other foods you liked to eat. ...if it fits in your calories and you fancy it them go ahead and eat it.....im 58lb down and will still eat chocolate,chips,takeaway I just make it fit in.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Yes you could. I'm down more than 90 lb and if you look at my diary I had instant noodles 3 days in a row, had ice cream last saturday and chocolate right before that in addition to lots of very sugary fruits like dates. I'm actually planning to go buy a serving of chips and maybe a 2 finger kitkat in a bit.

I do drink 1.5% milk because it's lower in calories, but not skim because I find reduced fat tastes better. I'm not hungry either. I just eat the foods that I like and fill me up and never force myself to eat foods I don't like just because they are lower in calories (you won't catch me drinking almond milk straight for example, it's vile unless it's added to something that masks the taste).
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is good but I heard it can increase dementia chance in females as long as and also increase your estrogen levels as well.

Yes soy has photo estrogen. In women it replaces the estrogen that we naturally produce and lowers our estrogen levels. In men it increases their estrogen so ... man boobs. Not sure about the dementia part though.
    I drink unsweetened almond milk but I am lactose intolerant.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Here is a good summary of some of the effects of soy:

"As with many other compounds, like alcohol or caffeine, there are many pros and cons associated with moderate soy intake. Consumers should be aware that soy contains endocrine disrupting compounds and make dietary choices accordingly. For a typical consumer, alarm over soy products is likely unnecessary but so is the belief that a soy-rich diet will alleviate all ills. Women who are pregnant, nursing, or attempting to become pregnant should use soy foods with caution and be aware that soy formula may not be the best option for their babies. Older individuals, especially those with high cholesterol, may experience modest benefits including improved bone and cardiovascular health, and perhaps a decreased risk of carcinogenesis. Moderation is likely key and the incorporation of real foods, as opposed to supplements or processed foods to which soy protein is added, is probably essential for maximizing health benefits. Finally, the relative importance of the soy protein itself, compared to the isoflavones, on health outcomes such as lipid levels, reduced risk of carcinogenesis, and fracture risk must be resolved. If something other than the isoflavone phytoestrogens is producing the mild but measurable health benefits of soy foods, this would considerably help shape the development of dietary guidelines for both adults and children."

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Califa coconut almond milk is wonderful. Kroger/City Market/King Soopers carry it.